Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Prophet X discontinued

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Word is that sourcing certain parts had become un-doable. Its a shame that it wasn't a bigger hit. Its a Prophet and a unique sampler in one box, with far more to offer than just skimming through the presets. Its such a powerhouse, its one of those synths you're still playing 15 years after others have made the march to reverb dot com. Besides, 7 years doesn't seem like an exactly terrible run.

"Well, the 60s were fun, but now I'm payin' for it."
        ~ Stan Lee, "Ant-Man and the Wasp"

…X uses a standard Mini-ITX PC motherboard which  is not under DSI design +  the SSI 2144 analog board, with the Xilinx Artic 7 FPGA, which connects to the host board isn't small either…

Bummer, well looks like another hardware synth bites the dust. Would be interesting to sus out which parts they hard trouble sourcing?

Looks like all thats gonna be left from major manufacturers is a soft synth disguised as a hardware synth… can i interest you in a slice of rasberryPI anyone?

Not even all that old and I enjoyed chasing chip sets and other components which made particular gear, particular. 

PEACE

_
_
_

When musical machines communicate, we had better listen…

http://youtube.com/@ecoutezpourentendre

13 minutes ago, David Emm said:

Word is that sourcing certain parts had become un-doable. Its a shame that it wasn't a bigger hit. Its a Prophet and a unique sampler in one box, with far more to offer than just skimming through the presets. Its such a powerhouse, its one of those synths you're still playing 15 years after others have made the march to reverb dot com. Besides, 7 years doesn't seem like an exactly terrible run.

Agreed - not a bad run at all and no way they won't be putting out something similar with the hard-to-get parts substituted by something else.

Maybe Focusrite PLC have done some BI calculations and sales vs. keeping this one alive is not a good practice from an economical perspective, maybe there is something in the pipeline for the future to replace it.. Who knows..

"You live every day. You only die once."

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII, SL73, Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

I had a Prophet XL. It was a nice synth. Sample management was clunky. I learned some units had faulty motherboard and power supply issues too.

I suspect the Prophet X will join the ranks of the Prophet 12 and Roland JD-Xa and similar synths.😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

A truly underrated synth. Dave Smith was always visibly excited about it at NAMM and GearFest. You could tell he was really proud of the synth. Unforunately the sample management is not intuitive and hampers an otherwise great instrument. Add to that the lack of support early on from 8Dio in regards to sample libraries and it's a shame that it's discontinued, though not really a surprise.

I adore mine. I think it's more organic and inspiring than the Waldorf Quantum.

It was always an object of curiosity for me, but far too big for my tiny studio. My friend Robert Rich has (had?) one that has seen a lot of heavy use. 

I would argue that one could define a "true" hardware synth as one that uses no software at all, which greatly limits the field... but also avoids problems like this. Then all you have to worry about is the gradual discontinuation of through-hole components. Yaaaay!

mike

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music