Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Porcaro and Paich on the Steinway

• Like 5
  • Love 1

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Today I learned they didn't cut that album on a Yamaha C7 which I had always assumed they had. And I had assumed they cut it at Westlake. Wrong again. Now I realized I was conflating Toto's involvement on Thriller (cut at Westlake) with the recording of Toto IV. And here I am considering myself a true fan.

Thanks for sharing this.

• Like 1

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

2 hours ago, Bobadohshe said:

They're playing the Africa marimba part on piano but it's a GS1 right? They didn't double it on piano.

Yes, the marimba and woodwind sounds you hear on Africa was a GS1 digital synthesiser.

David Paich has had a lot of health issues recently which kept him from touring with Toto in recent years. I hope he's feeling a lot better, because he's a great keybaord player.

Super cool looking at that piano and thinking about the history behind it. All those songs we’ve spent years of our lives listening to (and playing) came from that. 

Bet if that Steinway could talk it would have some stories to tell…

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

Watched that vid on YouTube some days ago, got a weird feeling Paich was not at all into playing, ending up pulling Human Nature on Steve to get off the piano...

"You live every day. You only die once."

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

Band Rig: PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII

Other stuff: Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

I was a bit disappointed seeing that the marimba part wasn't played with one hand only... Though it does take a lot of practice, BUT, if you can play the intro to "Perfect Strangers" with Deep Purple, having a good flow playing one handed, you can play that marimba part with one hand too.. (first part of the intro, same intervals and harmonies but in "backward" order kind of...).

:D

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

Other stuff: Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

On 3/21/2024 at 10:37 AM, Bobadohshe said:

Yes neither of them actually played the parts 100% like the record. But it's more than fine baby.

I think the have earned the right to play it any way they want. 

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

On 3/21/2024 at 1:06 PM, J.F.N. said:

I was a bit disappointed seeing that the marimba part wasn't played with one hand only... Though it does take a lot of practice, BUT, if you can play the intro to "Perfect Strangers" with Deep Purple, having a good flow playing one handed, you can play that marimba part with one hand too.. (first part of the intro, same intervals and harmonies but in "backward" order kind of...).

i cheat and use the Narf programming for Africa where the marimba harmonies are already doubled. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, HammondDave said:

i cheat and use the Narf programming for Africa where the marimba harmonies are already doubled. 

Yeah, thats a good "cheat" indeed, I just had this "idea" once that a classical piano player (not me) would find an economical finger setting and movement doing it with one hand, then I couldn't let go of that idea...

🤣

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

This is cute btw!

"In an unofficial survey we conducted, none have ever seen Kilimanjaro from the Serengeti. And these are professionals whose eyesight is uncanny and have been in the field for decades. Despite our efforts, we could not find any evidence that Kilimanjaro could be seen from anywhere in the Serengeti."

https://www.ultimatekilimanjaro.com/can-kilimanjaro-be-seen-from-the-serengeti/

• Haha 1

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

Thanks for posting that, very cool. I discovered that I’ve been playing the Rosanna piano part wrong all these years, albeit only slightly wrong. 😁

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

On 3/23/2024 at 1:31 AM, J.F.N. said:

Yeah, thats a good "cheat" indeed, I just had this "idea" once that a classical piano player (not me) would find an economical finger setting and movement doing it with one hand, then I couldn't let go of that idea...

🤣

Here we go, this is what I'm talking about 🥳

(at 0.14)

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -