Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Update on Craig Anderton and family!!!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Originally posted by Botch.:

Craig, you may have talked about it here before, but for us latecomers tell us about your birds! My uncle raises a lot of finches, very fascinating, I'm very curious as to what you're doing, and especially curious as to how they "weathered" the storm! Certainly not a pressing topic for you now, but hopefully soon... :thu:

Given the scarcity of food and refrigeration, perhaps it may not be the best time to ask about his birds, lest he's eaten them all.

Glad to hear he's OK, of course, and please add my best meows to the list of well-wishers.

Perhaps in a wierd way it may even be fun what he's going through. I lost my electric a while back for a few days and as much as it was a "disaster," it was actually a lot of fun, going over to friends' houses and eating the contents of their similarly defrosting freezers. And their pet birds. (Not really.)

By the way -- great pic Dendy! Just one question: is Dendy the one on the right or the left?

Dooby Dooby Doo

What a sad thing in Florida with two hits and another on the way. Sure am glad Craig and his family are ok. My prayers are with all the Floridians. As Craig was wishing for a generator, I was wondering why I don't own one of those. It seems like a person should have one. In Florida there's hurricanes, in ND there's blizzards, and when the heat goes out and the temps are below zero, it's no good. It's pretty easy to take things like electricity and having ice and drinking water for granted until it's taken away from you.

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

I spoke to Craig last Saturday, and had a few phone messages from him since. Just got off the phone with him.

Sounds like things are very rough down there. Still no power, phone, water, etc. He asked me to tell you all that they are coping as best they can, and that they appreciate all your support and well wishes.

I hope that Ivan leaves them alone!

Mitch

the poster formerly known as MitchG formerly known as EQ_Editor

Originally posted by EQ Editor:

I spoke to Craig last Saturday, and had a few phone messages from him since. Just got off the phone with him.

Sounds like things are very rough down there. Still no power, phone, water, etc. He asked me to tell you all that they are coping as best they can, and that they appreciate all your support and well wishes.

Mitch

Thanks for the update, Mitch.

I just hope Craig has access to an acoustic guitar. How much worse could it be, now that life and limb are safe of course, for Craig to be without computers, softsynths, hardward synths, guitar synths, digital recording equipment, etc... :D

Seriously, anything we can do... let him know he just has to ask.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Good to hear Craig and fam are ok, but it's too bad that they had to get the destruction they did.

I imagine the second half of the hurricane is worse, because the first half weakens all the structures?

I.e. the winds push the buildings one way, then the second time around they get pushed the other way. In theory the storm should be starting to weaken once it hits land, but well, you know.

P.S. Djarett- I think your prev. avatar made you look like Pauly Shore.

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

I hopeall data was backed up and stored properly!

:)

Best of luck, Craig and family (and all our Southern neighbors in storm's way.) Be safe, be well.

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

Originally posted by wraub:

I hopeall data was backed up and stored properly!...

You know the only thing more protected than da man's data was his wife and kids! ;)

And Phaeton, I think he looked a lot more like Doug Henning...

http://pages.zdnet.com/daleshrimpton/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/henning.jpg

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Best thoughts, prayers and vibes going out to Craig and family.

I expect Tedster will sort us out soon but on the Weather Channel today they're projecting Ivan to go into the gulf side of Florida right through Key West. I'm feeling for the people who are just getting over Charlie.

The National Weather Service 3 and 5 day forecasts show Ivan potentially missing all but the Keys of South Florida completely.

This is not the good news you might think, however. If it continues on the course they're mapping, then either the Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama or Texas coasts may get pounded! (Not much chance the gulf has cooled down to a temp that would reduce the power of this already Category 5 hurricaine. :eek::(

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by fantasticsound:

Mitch

Thanks for the update, Mitch.

I just hope Craig has access to an acoustic guitar. How much worse could it be, now that life and limb are safe of course, for Craig to be without computers, softsynths, hardward synths, guitar synths, digital recording equipment, etc... :D

Seriously, anything we can do... let him know he just has to ask.

Somehow, I picture him sitting on the couch in a darkened room, playing his PRS unplugged.

Thanks for the update Mitch! Craig, you and your family remain in our prayers!

uh, third time's the charm!

Sweaty, weary, leery, no cheery, iceless, coolnessless, listless, listy, missed television, no phones, no lights, candle fires and barbeque flames, board games and a slower pace; battening down and just in case stock up once and stock up twice Arizona sure is nice.

Frank Ranklin and the Ranktones

WARP SPEED ONLY STREAM

FRANKIE RANKLIN (Stanky Franks) <<<

Glad to hear he's still doing ok.

One other consolation - if he'd had a hairstyle like Dendy's old one amongst all that wind, things could've got VERY nasty. ;)

So, were we going to pursue a collection for that generator??? Should I drop the idea entirely? John Sayers had volunteered to collect the money through his payment method, or I have PayPal myself available. I'm betting that, as most of us would be, Craig is a very proud man and will humbly decline the offers of help... friends will see beyond that thick pride and come through.... but it needs to be while he is experiencing the hardship. Yes, I do realize that there are a LOT of people who are being affected by this tragic rage of weather, but Craig has done a lot for most of us here on the forums; most of it has been without the compensation or recognition he deserves... same goes for ALL of our moderators and Administrators involved in the core development and maintainence of MPN. (Thank You also Dendy, and all the other moderators that dedicate their time and knowledge to make these forums what they are.)

Craig has been very instrumental in keeping these forums afloat and FREE to all users where UMG has considered cutting the funds. Craig has opened his virtual home to all of us and shared his expertise, time, wisdom, engaged in personal discussions among us, mediated when need be, and has been the Host of a great party where he says, "Come on in, kick your shoes off, and make yourself at home... just don't leave a mess on my carpet ;) " He could certainly use some comfort right now because he has a whole lot more of a mess than just one on his carpet. It's one thing to talk about getting something together, and an entirely different thing to put words of thought into action.

I would already have a care package on it's way if I knew Craig's address; without a second thought... Although I have never met Craig personally, I consider a friend to be someone that has made a personal difference in my life... THAT, Craig has done for most of us.... Craig gives continually without ever asking in return... he shouldn't NEED to ask for anything; it should go without saying that he could benefit from having a generator or at least some care packages.... I can't swing the full price of a generator by myself or it would already be there, but I can and will surely send a box of non parishable foods; I'd even make sure to throw in a couple bags of bird seed for his prized pets.... I need an address to send something to though

Dendy or any others that have contact with Craig, feel free to contact me at anifa@musicbizbuzz.net if you have a means for me to ship Craig a care package directly or indirectly, or wire cash for you to purchase goods to deliver to him... your help in getting something out to Craig is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for you guys keeping us posted on updates.

Somehow, I picture him sitting on the couch in a darkened room, playing his PRS unplugged.

I don't think so.

Last year, the BIG power blackout hit while I was at work and everything turned upside down. At first we all liked the idea that we were going to get some time off work but reality set in quickly. When I got home I was concerned for a freezer of meat, loss of light and loss of phone. We were faced with possibly up to 1 week without power.

The first night we all just went to bed early and hoped that it would be over in the morning. It wasn't. I started up the barbeque and proceeded to salt and barbeque every piece of meat in the freezer compartment of the fridge.

I wanted uninterrupted radio so I ganged 4 "C" cell batteries together in series with DUCT TAPE and even taped wires on each end for a 6 volt supply. (I had a lot of these batteries on hand and had nothing else to do.)

The gas pumps even stopped pumping and the bank machines didn't even work.

Now that was here 1 year ago.

Now Craig is faced with even worse stuff. There is probably standing water all over the place which is a breeding ground for mosquitos and bacteria. He has probably lost all of his meat. HOW DO YOU EVEN RUN A GAS GENERATOR WHEN THE PUMPS STOP PUMPING?

And that's only the beginning.

No, somehow I don't think that he's worrying about Cubase or Sonar right now. The only electronics in his hands right now is a transistor radio.

Dan

http://musicinit.com/pvideos.html

Another update: I just spoke to Craig. He and his family were enjoying a brief respite in an air conditioned restaurant. (I think he was happier about the air conditioning than he was the restaurant.)

He has a generator, and has his refrigerator, freezer, and a fan running. Being the maniac he is, he has a car adapter and is working on his PowerBook in his car....

He is optimistic about getting water soon, but expects that phones will be a long time coming. Power depends on where he falls on the priority list. (I say he should be at the top, but who listens to me?)

As always, he sends his thanks for your support.

the poster formerly known as MitchG formerly known as EQ_Editor

Another update: I just spoke to Craig. He and his family were enjoying a brief respite in an air conditioned restaurant. (I think he was happier about the air conditioning than he was the restaurant.)

He has a generator, and has his refrigerator, freezer, and a fan running. Being the maniac he is, he has a car adapter and is working on his PowerBook in his car....

He is optimistic about getting water soon, but expects that phones will be a long time coming. Power depends on where he falls on the priority list. (I say he should be at the top, but who listens to me?)

As always, he sends his thanks for your support.

That's great news, I'm praying for Craig and his family :love:

Jesus Is Coming, Make Music, Get Ready!

Very glad to hear Craig and co. are OK. :thu:

Here's hoping Ivan loses steam sooner rather than later.

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

Thank you Mitch for the update and sharing the fact that Craig was able to appreciate a bit of time in AC. I would imagine that it is incredibly humid with all the moisture brewing down his way; that has to be miserable in itself without the threat of Ivan picking up steam and reaking more havoc in Florida.

HOW DO YOU EVEN RUN A GAS GENERATOR WHEN THE PUMPS STOP PUMPING?
It would not necessarily have to be gas powered, there are solar powered generators. There's a starter package for solar powered generators beginning at around $800.00. The price goes up according to how many watts you intend to use each day. This is just one site that I pulled up, who knows what the competition has to offer without doing a bit of research.

http://www.mrsolar.com/

Anyway, I'm keeping my prayers focused on all the people living in or around the path of the Hurricanes... I look forward to this whole mess blowing over and getting our friends back in the circle.

Next time someone talks to Craig, tell him Ani says HI to he and his family and to take care. Tell him he is missed tremendously on the forums.

Archived