Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Happenings in music distribution -

Amuse

"From March 27th onward, Amuse Start accounts will become dormant. This means Start users will no longer be able to release new music without upgrading to Boost or Pro... We have made Boost faster and better than ever, and artists can from today upgrade for only $19.99 USD/year - beating basically any other offer on the market."

https://www.amuse.io/en/content/saying-goodbye-to-our-start-tier-and-making-boost-even-better/

This matches what competitor TuneCore charges.  "Get your music on Spotify, Apple Music, TikTok, YouTube, Tidal, Tencent and more.  Keep 100% ownership of your music and stay in control of your career. Unlimited Releases starting at $19.99/year."

https://www.tunecore.com/

Our old friend CDBaby is still churning along with $9.99 to release a single or album.  CD is just the name, they’ve moved on to Spotify, Apple Music and the rest.  

No subscription fees. Lifetime distribution.

https://cdbaby.com/cd-baby-cost/

• Like 2

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

The other biggish player is Distrokid, similar pricing from memory. I'm a long time happy customer of TuneCore - particularly when they lowered their pricing a little over a year ago.

CDBaby did change their distribution model however - their old "Pro Publishing" package no longer exists, and they now have something called "CDB Boost" you can add on instead. It's more expensive now. One of the larger changes in that changeover is that they no longer register or collect performance royalties through ASCAP or BMI, etc. One of the big perks (IMO) in the past was that option, because it's not super straightforward working with the PRO's directly IMO. CDBaby apparently wanted to move more to an emphasis on the streaming royalty side. But until someone else does a one-time fee to keep music up forever, that's who I'm sticking with, despite the cost increases.

• Like 1

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

I get quarterly payments from CDBaby...not enough to buy a Latin America country but more than enough to starve on ;) First release was 6 years ago and the second was 3 years ago....working on finishing the third release and looking to retire at the end of the year so gonna try moving from a release every 3 years to every year....and maybe some promotion too! :)

Bill

http://www.billheins.com/

Hail Vibrania!

1 hour ago, Bill Heins said:

I get quarterly payments from CDBaby...not enough to buy a Latin America country but more than enough to starve on ;)

If you don't mind, can you give a figure? I remember the days of getting nice checks from ASCAP, and I assume it's nowhere in that vicinity.

22 minutes ago, Bill Heins said:

Hey Craig, it's about 200-300 a year....strictly streaming income...maybe if I took the time to self promote I can get that number up...after I'm retired I will :)

Gonna get into video as well, I have some basic 2d and 3d skills...

Bill

Well, you're covered for strings :)

5 minutes ago, CHarrell said:

Mechanical royalties confuse me to no end, I gave up 15% of some of my tunes to have Songtrust administer all of that. 

Mechanical's are just music publishing royalties paid when a song is sold. The only weird thing about them is that they are set by congress. 

From Songtrust's website:

"The Statutory Mechanical Royalty Rate is the rate set forth by the Copyright Arbitration Royalty Panel for physical or digital download mechanical royalties. In the U.S., this rate is currently set at 12.4¢ per track or 2.39¢ for each minute of playing time, whichever is greater." 

59 minutes ago, zxcvbnm098 said:

Mechanical's are just music publishing royalties paid when a song is sold. The only weird thing about them is that they are set by congress. 

From Songtrust's website:

"The Statutory Mechanical Royalty Rate is the rate set forth by the Copyright Arbitration Royalty Panel for physical or digital download mechanical royalties. In the U.S., this rate is currently set at 12.4¢ per track or 2.39¢ for each minute of playing time, whichever is greater." 

Sorry, I should have clarified: for performance royalties, it's a very simple--if tedious--process for me at this point in my career to gather info to report to ASCAP, but I wouldn't know what to do to report anything to a mechanical royalty publisher.

• 3 weeks later...