Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL Thread 2024-2025

19 hours ago, Geoff Grace said:

Sam Darnold was supposed to start anyway...

I'm surprised this guy who "sees ghosts out there" is still in the league. Maybe he'll have a career resurrection after several false starts.😁😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Jayden Daniels officially named Commanders starter.  Not surprised given the consistently glowing commentary from his coaching staff, and not so much enthusiasm from the same on Marcus Mariota.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/40918916/commanders-officially-name-rookie-jayden-daniels-starting-qb

Meanwhile in LA, Harbaugh continues to back Easton Stick as Herbert's backup, despite 2 poor preseason games in a row.   Stick had a handful of NFL starts in 2023 without winning a single game.   

Herbert himself had been wearing a boot to recover from plantar fascia injury up until only very recently.   The injury drove the Chargers to sign XFL QB Luis Perez to compete for a backup QB spot.  He officially beat out Max Duggan as of today but that's a low bar  Harbaugh gave Duggan a shot, didn't work out, and now that young QB who once knocked Harbaugh's Wolverines out of the playoffs is out on waivers.   

Perez had some good passes in preseason action but doesn't look like the next coming of Kurt Warner just yet.  Probably too soon as he's been on the Chargers roster less than 2 weeks.

We'll see what else, if anything, the Chargers do to address this poor looking QB depth.  Maybe they just can't afford Ryan Tannehill because of the salary cap.

Not surprised rookie QB Jayden Daniels was named starter.

Commanders camp competition was almost non-existent considering other QBs on the roster.

The Chargers are all in on QB Justin Herbert. His backup could almost be any QB except Max Duggan apparently. I was a bit surprised the Chargers drafted him.😎

• Like 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Max Duggan was drafted by a GM who generally drafted as expected in the 1st round, and left us scratching our heads with his later round picks.    Now he is the Raiders' GM.  Don't miss him one bit.

Yep, the current Chargers regime is all in on Herbert, in the sense they prioritized their cap spending on defense and running game over backup QB, WR, pass catching TE, etc. - which I'm fine with.  The salary cap is what some peeps mean when they say not even Harbaugh can fix all the team's problems in a single offseason, unless he gets lucky with all his UDFAs emerging as Ekeler/Gates level undiscovered talent.

The Steelers layed an egg, The Bills were onto them. 9-3 .

The Offensive line didn't keep anyone out. Wilson Sacked 3 times. his co-conspirator fumbled twice.

Of course some steeler fans blamed the coach.

Steelers fair weather fans

Mike T

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Today was the day all teams had to cut down to 53-player rosters.

The Browns opted to have 4 QBs on their 53.  They know they can get something in trade for Huntley or Winston, which would have been wasted if they simply cut either QB.

Chargers opted to keep backup QB Stick despite a poor preseason performance.  They know the season is lost without Herbert out but I'm sure they'd rather have a backup who can be productive in his place instead of losing every single game.  Some fans beg them to trade for a Browns QB but I think the Chargers are patiently waiting for a better deal.

Alex Leatherwood was among the Charger cuts.  They took a flyer on the former Raiders first rounder and gave him a shot.

7 minutes ago, GovernorSilver said:

Russel Wilson officially named starter over Justin Fields for the Steelers

Steelers couldn't go wrong either way especially if the QB room proves to be an upgrade from last season.😎

PD

As a Packers fan who watched Rodgers sit behind Favre and Love sit behind Rodgers, I think it may be helpful to let Fields develop as a backup for awhile under Tomlin’s system before he takes another snap as a starter. He can learn from Wilson’s examples of what to do and what not to do.

Fields may be the long term answer for the Steelers. I think this move improves his chances of succeeding. 

Best,

Geoff

• Like 3

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Chargers trade for backup QB Taylor Heinecke.  Stick's disappointing preseason forced their hand.  Herbert's got plantar fasciitis - Harbaugh wants someone a little more reliable to fill in if Herbert can't go Week 1, or otherwise has to miss time because of that foot.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/41033742/chargers-acquire-taylor-heinicke-trade-falcons

Looks like the Browns will build a new domed stadium facility southwest of downtown in suburban Brook Park (though right next to the city limits).

I've been a Browns fan forever, and though I'm used to downtown open-air cold weather football, I'm surprisingly on board with this. Right next to the airport and highways and public transportation, still very close to downtown, central location for everyone, and forces downtown to better develop their lakefront.

I'm old school and traditional, I've gone to old Municipal Stadium watching teams play in mud and snow (which was simultaneously every bit as awesome and miserable as you could possibly imagine), as well as its replacement facility sitting on the same location (which is fine, but I guess not for the new "gotta be perfect" stadium arms race). I'm on board with this, and that's surprising to me too. Maybe I just accept that it's 2024 and I don't want to sit in a stadium with 6 pairs of socks on, in ten degree weather next to a frozen Great Lake dumping snow and wind down my back. If I want grass and open-air, there's still plenty of local high school and college games. This is the NFL now.

Browns_dome2.jpeg

• Like 1

Roland RD-2000, Yamaha Motif XF7, Mojo 61, 2 Invisible keyboard stands (!!!!!), 1939 Martin Handcraft Imperial trumpet

"Everyone knows rock music attained perfection in 1974. It is a scientific fact." -- Homer Simpson

On 8/28/2024 at 12:24 PM, Geoff Grace said:

As a Packers fan who watched Rodgers sit behind Favre and Love sit behind Rodgers, I think it may be helpful to let Fields develop as a backup for awhile under Tomlin’s system before he takes another snap as a starter. He can learn from Wilson’s examples of what to do and what not to do.

Fields may be the long term answer for the Steelers. I think this move improves his chances of succeeding. 

I doubt it would surprise anyone if Fields starts after 4-5 games. 

• Like 1

Great Chiefs-Ravens rematch.  

The Ravens offense was at a disadvantage with a mostly new OL not gelling yet, while the Chiefs were already midseason form.

Despite the rough OL performance, Lamar played with a chip on his shoulder from that AFC championship loss and nearly pulled off the upset.   

Came down to a toe sticking out of bounds.

Yeah, it was a good game and a strong start to the regular season. I wonder if the Ravens' two-point conversion attempt would have been successful...

Tonight is the first ever NFL game in Brazil, featuring the Packers and Eagles.

image.png.62deb7ce5a9edd7b1619cc61dcfd9614.png

GO PACKERS!!!   :thu:  :cool: 

Best,

Geoff

Ravens picked up RB Derrick Henry in free agency.

Yet, it was QB Lamar Jackson who had over 100 yards rushing.

I can understand a revamped OL being shaky especially in pass protection.

Establishing a ground game with RB Henry would help the OL and passing game.

I *hate* this aspect of the NFL where the passing game is over-emphasized.

In the Ravens case, they've got their QB running around like a RB too. Ridiculous.

Makes zero sense with King Henry in the backfield. 13 rushing attempts, 46 yds, 1 TD.

Ravens OC Todd Monken blew it in the AFC playoff game last year. I'll be d8mned if he didn't pick right up where he left off. 😎

• Like 1

PD

Derrick Henry had a couple of  good runs but the Chiefs D had him bottled up most of the time.  They just had better chemistry/experience than the Ravens players trying to block for Henry.  The Chiefs D knew where Henry wanted to run and were waiting for him at the LOS every time, while his blockers seemed confused on who should block who.

The other RB Justice Hill made plays but mostly as a receiving back.  

I'm guessing they'll meet the Chiefs again in the playoffs.  Harbaugh and Co. will have the OL in midseason form by.... midseason 😃.  

Congrats, Dave, on your Eagles’ win tonight.

There were some positives to having the game in Brazil, especially the enthusiasm of the sold out crowd; but the soccer grass, which was slippery under football cleats, posed an extra injury risk to every player and added to the sloppiness of play.

Both teams seemed to be in preseason form tonight. A lot of mistakes were make, but Saquon Barkley and Jayden Reed both had great nights for their respective teams.

I hope that Jordan Love’s injury near the end of the game will prove to be a minor one. I hate to see any player get injured, but there’s extra concern when it’s your franchise quarterback. It also would have been great to see whether he could have finished the comeback drive with a touchdown pass. It was unlikely, of course, but not impossible.

Best,

Geoff

Sources: Packers QB Jordan Love believed to have sprained MCL

Love is expected to miss “multiple weeks.” I’m just glad it’s not worse.

Malik Willis, who was only acquired by the Packers last week, is now the presumptive starter. Last year's backup, Sean Clifford, is currently on the practice squad.

Best,

Geoff

Tough situation for the Packers losing QB Jordan Love for a few weeks.

QB Malik Willis didn't show anything with the Titans. I doubt he's totally familiar with the Packers playbook.

I'd imagine the Packers either have to bring QB Sean Clifford up from practice squad or get on phone looking for a more seasoned backup QB.😎

• Like 1

PD

Commanders played about as well as I expected today. They looked like a rebuilding team. Real game reps will help the team gel better. 

in other news, let the countdown begin on the G-Men riding with their overpaid franchise QB.

Some week 1 games looked like an extension of preseason.😁😎

• Haha 1

PD

16 hours ago, El Lobo said:

It is so wrong that a professional sports game is decided by a coin toss. The rule needs to change.

The rules were changed.  Each team gets a chance to possess the ball unless the 1st team scores a TD. 

Stop the 1st team with possession from scoring a TD. Then, score by any means (TD or FG) and win the game. Seems fair enough.😎 

PD

I like the OT rules now, though I might prefer the college ones even more.   They'd have to back them up though, the nfl kickers are so good it would make sense to start at the 35 maybe.

I only caught a bit of one game this weekend, didn't realize they changed the kickoff...wtf....not sure why they don't get ditch it at this point.