Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL Thread 2024-2025

As news about the upcoming season begins to break, it's time to start a new NFL football thread.

Here are some recent stories relating to the season ahead:

Sources: Raiders' Jimmy Garoppolo gets 2-game ban for violation

Bears release veteran S Eddie Jackson, G Cody Whitehair

Sources: Seahawks to let QB Geno Smith collect $12.7 million

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Garoppolos days as a starter are over. With Teddy Bridgewater retiring the Lions could be a good spot for him. I know they have Hendon Hooker, but he hasn't played a down yet. The Lions have super bowl aspersions and would probably like a veteran backup.

Jennifer S.

QB Jimmy Garrapolo is a great example of a someone who's gotten a bag full of money for limited productivity since being traded from New England.😎

• Like 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I have been keeping an eye on what my Steelers are going to do at QB. They were not happy with Kenny Picket's performance and are looking for a different QB. Kenny was a disappointment, Too bad.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Hey Geoff

I Posted a Thumbs up for your Go Packers Post. Not only because they BEAT the Cowbums, they embarrassed them in their home stadium!

I HATE DALLAS.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

2 hours ago, MikeT156 said:

I have been keeping an eye on what my Steelers are going to do at QB. They were not happy with Kenny Picket's performance and are looking for a different QB. Kenny was a disappointment, Too bad.

I don't think the Steelers should give up on QB Kenny Pickett. Let's see if he can get healthy and make progress with a different offensive coordinator.😎  

• Like 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

It's being reported that QB Justin Fields has unfollowed his team da Bears. Claims he's going on vacation. We'll see how it plays out after the draft. 😎

• Like 1

PD

• 3 weeks later...

Sources: Russell Wilson to sign free agent deal with Steelers

Wilson played pretty well for the Broncos last year: 66% completion percentage, 26 touchdowns, 8 interceptions. I probably would have kept him; but then, I don’t have GM experience. 

I hope for our friend Mike’s sake that he'll play well for the Steelers.

Best,

Geoff

Even as a 13-year veteran, QB Russell Wilson definitely provides a better insurance policy for the Steelers than QBs Mitch Trubisky and Mason Rudolph. 

Also, QB Wilson can help QB Kenny Pickett in his development too.  The 1-year contract is only $1.2M.  Excellent acquisition for the Steelers.😎

• Like 1

PD

1 hour ago, ProfD said:

The 1-year contract is only $1.2M.  Excellent acquisition for the Steelers.😎

And the Broncos are on the hook for the balance of the $39 million they guaranteed him for 2024.

Live: Yamaha S70XS (#1); Roland Jupiter-80; Mackie 1202VLZ4: IEMs or Traynor K4

Home: Hammond SK Pro 73; Moog Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue; Yamaha S70XS (#2); Wurlitzer 200A

11 minutes ago, wineandkeyz said:

And the Broncos are on the hook for the balance of the $39 million they guaranteed him for 2024.

Right.  The Broncos willingness to pay franchise money for a ghost QB is a telltale sign that relationship was done.😁

Let's see what HC Sean Payton cooks up in building a winning team with his own picks.😎

• Like 1

PD

$85 million in dead money speaks loudly as to how much conviction Sean Payton and the Broncos have in this decision to move on at the QB position.

Such is the nature of gambling on free agents.  You risk losing money like that, but if you're too timid with your investments as an NFL franchise, you have little hope of catching up to the likes of the Chiefs and Niners.

In a few other projected moves:

RB Tony Pollard is headed to the Titans.  Reads like the end of RB Derrick Henry's reign there.

RB D'Andre Swift is one and done in Philly and moving on to da Bears.

WR Tee HIggins has requested the Bengals trade him.  

WR Michael Pittman Jr. has been locked by the Colts.

WR Jerry Jeudy is being traded to the Browns.

Gone are the days that a player stayed with a team forever. 

Keeping track of players nowadays requires a spreadsheet.😁😎

PD

26 minutes ago, ProfD said:

Gone are the days that a player stayed with a team forever. 

Keeping track of players nowadays requires a spreadsheet.😁😎

We're just rooting for the clothes.

Live: Yamaha S70XS (#1); Roland Jupiter-80; Mackie 1202VLZ4: IEMs or Traynor K4

Home: Hammond SK Pro 73; Moog Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue; Yamaha S70XS (#2); Wurlitzer 200A

QB Kirk Cousins leaving Vikings for 4-year deal with Falcons

Minnesota struggled without Cousins last year. I wonder what they intend to do now that he's gone for good.

In the meantime, Green Bay has been uncharacteristically active in free agency:

Source: Packers to sign Josh Jacobs, release Aaron Jones

I’m disappointed that Green Bay released Aaron Jones. He’s been a real plus for the team during his seven seasons in the NFL. I know he had injury problems last year, and it’s possible that his best years may be behind him; but he’s one of the most positive players in the league and an explosive runner. Wherever he winds up (and it still could be in Green Bay if he can’t find a good deal elsewhere), he will be a great teammate and mentor.

I hope that Josh Jacobs proves a worthy addition. He had his worst season last year.

David Bakhtiari done in Green Bay after 11 seasons

I guess this isn’t a surprise, but I’m sad to see Bakhtiari be released. He was one of the best linemen in the league when he wasn’t plagued by injury. He still intends to play, and I hope he can.

With Jones and Bakhtiari released, the last two prominent pieces of the Aaron Rodgers era offense are gone in Green Bay. For anyone who missed the last season, the offense would be almost unrecognizable today. Of course, the youth moment succeeded beyond any Packers fan’s dreams last year; so it’s hard to criticize Green Bay’s decision to continue to release veteran players.

Packers add safety Xavier McKinney on four-year, $68M contract

McKinney will fill the void created when Darnell Savage signed with the Jaguars earlier today.

Best,

Geoff

Sorry to see Ekeler go but the writing was on the wall when he expressed his discontent last year over not getting a long term contract extension.  He will apparently get paid less than if he had stayed with the Chargers but the Chargers' cap situation is forcing them into penny pinching mode.  With the Commanders' Robinson as the established starter, Ekeler might enjoy some rejuvenation, coming off the bench for passing downs and not having as heavy a workload.

Chargers did sign some agents today but this is sure to be followed by cuts of Bosa/Mack and Williams/Allen.  

The 2 new Chargers of the day are Gus Edwards and Will Dissly.  Edwards was a solid workhorse with the Ravens, and fits the power running philosophy favored by Jim Harbaugh and Greg Roman.  They seem to like Dissly's performance as a run blocking TE with the Seahawks - so he is another fit.

19 hours ago, Geoff Grace said:

Sources: Russell Wilson to sign free agent deal with Steelers

Wilson played pretty well for the Broncos last year: 66% completion percentage, 26 touchdowns, 8 interceptions. I probably would have kept him; but then, I don’t have GM experience. 

I hope for our friend Mike’s sake that he'll play well for the Steelers.

Best,

Geoff

Some people flame out and are done.   Buster Posey.  Tim Lincecum.     I think Russell is done unless they are going to re-invent the Stellar offense and try to resurrect Russell as a form of Lamar. 

J  a  z  z  P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

As a Vikes fan...we've seen the ceiling with Kirk.   He's not young and coming off a major injury.   They are obviously going to draft someone and hope it pans out, with Darnold in the meantime.  He sucks but Mullen is worse.

Easy for me to say as a working shlub, but some of these contracts hurt the teams you play for.  Even at face value listening to the players, it's an ego thing.  They don't want to be "disrespected" by a lowball offer.   It's all a bunch of crap.   Could I leave tens of millions on the table to win more games (due to being able to afford better free agents?)  

I've been rooting for the team since I could walk (early 70s) and I used to hope they'd win a super bowl while my dad was alive.   Nowadays I have no expectation that they'll ever even get to one while I'm alive :)  It is what it is.  I've left any fan(aticism) long behind at this point; I don't get too high or too low anymore about watching millionaires play a game for billionaires.

With TEN adding Tony Pollard, Derrick Henry is headed to the Ravens (who lost Gus Edwards to the Chargers).  Devin Singletary is also on the move to the Giants to replace (?) Barkley.

In QB news,  Jameis Winston is now a Brown, Drew Lock a Giant, Gardner Minshew a Raider, Marcus Mariota a Commander, Tyron Taylor a Jet and Jacoby Brissett returns to NE.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Amusing that QB Sam "I see ghosts out there" Darnold still has a roster spot in the NFL.

Commanders let QB Jacoby Brissett leave and bring in QB Marcus Mariota. Unbelievable. 

Quite a few head scratching moves already but it's not my money.😁

I need to update my player tracking spreadsheet.🤣😎

• Haha 1

PD

Mark Schlereth makes a case for Sam Darnold in the first two minutes of this linked YouTube video. It was filmed yesterday, when Schlereth hoped Darnold would sign with the Broncos.

Perhaps Schlereth is right that Darnold’s time on the 49ers finally provided him with proper NFL training. We’ll see when Darnold takes the field this season.

Best,

Geoff

1 minute ago, Geoff Grace said:

Perhaps Schlereth is right that Darnold’s time on the 49ers finally provided him with proper NFL training.

I’m inclined to doubt that.  As far as I can tell, Mr. Darnold has been in the NFL for more than a few years.

I think he just doesn’t have the right stuff.  :idk:

As brother Geoff says above - we’ll see soon enough.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

29 minutes ago, Dave Bryce said:

I’m inclined to doubt that.  As far as I can tell, Mr. Darnold has been in the NFL for more than a few years.

As brother Geoff says above - we’ll see soon enough.

I typically take pundit’s comments with a grain of salt, even those of former NFL players who have relevant experience, because sports are so hard to predict. 

That said, Schlereth makes a good case as to why the systems Darnold was previously part of were poorly designed for NFL success (unless you’re Peyton Manning). He says it better than I, which is why I posted the link.

I’m not convinced Schlereth is right, but I’m willing to entertain the possibility that he might be. 

Best,

Geoff

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dave Bryce said:

Agreed.

Darnold, Trubisky and Mariota are all in the same boat.

None of them can lead a franchise to winning. Backup QBs at best.😎

• Thanks 1

PD