Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL Thread 2024-2025

Part of the fun for me in watching the draft on TV is when the surprises happen, starting with the Falcons draft choice.  Looks like they are not counting on Cousins being able to stay healthy for all 3 of his contract years, coming off of serious injury in 2023.  On the one hand the Falcons are being bashed for not taking a different position player.  OTOH, they didn't have a succession plan for 3 years from now, and now they do... and they didn't have to trade up or anything to go grab Cousins' eventual successor.

Chiefs trading up so they could pick the fastest player in the 2024 class was a surprise.  Reid knows what he's doing though.   He traded up to draft Patrick Mahomes and oh boy did that not suck.

According to this guy, three teams tried to move into the top 10 so they could grab Penix: Seahawks, Saints, and Raiders. 

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2024/4/25/24141110/report-seattle-seahawks-tried-to-trade-up-michael-penix-jr-nfl-news

There must be something that coaches and scouts just love. As for me - a Seahawks fan -  I'm very happy  with their ultimate choice of Byron Murphy II. 

34 minutes ago, GovernorSilver said:

...starting with the Falcons draft choice.  Looks like they are not counting on Cousins being able to stay healthy for all 3 of his contract years, coming off of serious injury in 2023. 

Exactly.  QB Michael Penix Jr. provides some type of insurance policy in the event that Captain Kirk gets crumpled and sidelined.😎

• Like 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

9 hours ago, GovernorSilver said:

The 2024 WR class is reportedly deep.  No doubt they'll find someone in the 2nd or later rounds for Herbert to throw to.

That was quick.  Chargers traded up in the 2nd round to pick Ladd McConkey, 2-time national champion WR with Georgia.  Price that the Patriots exacted doesn't look too terrible either - a swap of 2nd round picks and giving up a 4th rounder for a 5th rounder.  

He looks like that speedy WR that you need for deep play action after your offense has been pounding the rock for a while.   Hopefully he'll pan out better than other 2nd round WRs the Chargers traded up for in the past.

Funny though that the Pats ended up drafting a WR too with their 2nd round pick, although Ja'Lynn Polk is a different type of WR.

The Chargers also have holes at LB, with both 2023 starters gone.  Thus, no complaints about the 3rd round pick of Junior Colson, reuniting him with Harbaugh and Jesse Minter.

I like the 2024 Chargers draft picks.  No idea how they'll pan out but Harbaugh and Ortiz clearly understood they have holes at WR and defense, and made reasonable decisions to try to plug those holes.   They didn't make any puzzling decisions like drafting 6th round worthy players in the 3rd round .

No TEs but I guess they just couldn't findy any that they liked better than the players they ended up drafting.  Former GM Telesco would have reached like he did with TE bust McKitty... not the new GM....  There's always free agency.

4 hours ago, JamPro said:

I have a question for NFL fans.  I would like to watch NFL games, both live and archived on demand.  What is the best streaming service to use?  Thanks.

I don't know if they're the best, but I use YouTubeTV + Sunday Ticket.   I've never had any issues except the local blackouts and occasional exclusive deal like that one game on the Peacock Network that the YouTube doesn't carry.    I just checked and still have access to all of last years games.    I watch on both desktop web browser and AppleTV on the TV.  Ususally on playback as I don't have the patience or time to sit through a live game.

• Like 1

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

1 hour ago, jazzpiano88 said:

I don't know if they're the best, but I use YouTubeTV + Sunday Ticket.   I've never had any issues except the local blackouts and occasional exclusive deal like that one game on the Peacock Network that the YouTube doesn't carry.    I just checked and still have access to all of last years games.    I watch on both desktop web browser and AppleTV on the TV.  Ususally on playback as I don't have the patience or time to sit through a live game.

Thanks JP88 - exactly the kind of thing I need to find out.  I should specify I am hoping to watch on my smartTV (not a phone or mobile device), and I hope to view both regular and post-season games.  I am surprised how difficult it is online to find out what services offers what games.