Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL Thread 2024-2025

14 minutes ago, GovernorSilver said:

Trevor Lawrence is now tied with Joe Burrow for highest paid QB.

Good on the Jaguars for locking up the franchise QB they drafted.

Hopefully, the Jags will surround QB Trevor Lawrence with more playmakers. 

Unfortunately, not even $275M insures a trip to the Super Bowl.😁😎

• Like 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

12 hours ago, Geoff Grace said:

I can't believe that Trevor Lawrence is now tied with Joe Burrow for highest paid quarterback. Lawrence doesn't even have any playoff wins!

There, how did I do? ;) 

Best,

Geoff

Trevor Lawrence does have a playoff win.  This was the game in which his team was down 27-0, then he mounted a comeback for the win.  😎

This win started talk of firing the head coach on the losing side - one Brandon Staley.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Geoff Grace said:

Can NFL broadcasts be far behind?

I think Basketball has been requiring this for years and years for their new announcers.     Half of them sound exactly like Marv Albert. 

I was thinking that it was a job prerequisite, so I'm sure NBA will be adopting it.  

• Haha 1

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, surfergirl said:

Patrick Mahomes should have a contract with automatic raises built in that keeps him the highest player in the league.

Agreed. It's weird that QBs are making more than Mahomes who set the precedent contractually. The difference is that he has Super Bowl rings to prove his worth. The others haven't won anything yet. 😎

• Like 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

The NFL generates a sh8t ton of money from multiple streams. Paying player salaries is a drop in the bucket for team owners. 

Preseason starts in a couple of weeks. Time flies.😎

• Like 2

PD

I'm ditching cable, mainly due to their recent crappy internet (I work from home so this is not acceptable) in favor of fiber.

Still not sure if I'm going to get any kind of streaming service (we have Prime) that might include football.   In recent years I rarely ever watch a whole NFL game anyway; however, soccer, college football and nba playoffs will be missed to some degree.   Red Zone was great when I had that.   

It'll be a bit weird to not be able to "switch on the tv and watch something", but the fact is that nobody in the house has watched cable at all for a long time, other than me with my occasional live sports.   And it's really not worth a lot of money to me just for me, just for that, so I'll be looking around and doing the math...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Stokely said:

I'm ditching cable, mainly due to their recent crappy internet (I work from home so this is not acceptable) in favor of fiber.

One option is to put an antenna on the TV to pull in digital channels. Local sports should be broadcast there.

A Fire Stick, Apple TV, Google,  Roku etc., will provide streaming service.

Amazon Prime has Thursday night football. I'm not overly impressed with their games or coverage but as a huge football fan I've got to deal with it.😎

• Like 1

PD

22 hours ago, Geoff Grace said:

My first thought is that it's nice to be a top tier NFL quarterback.

My second thought is that it's even nicer to be someone who can afford to pay a top tier NFL quarterback.

Best,

Geoff

All NFL franchises can afford a top tier NFL QB, thanks to revenue sharing.  Revenue sharing props up even the financially worst performing NFL franchises, allowing even those franchises to spend up to the salary cap.  Lack of revenue sharing was one of my beefs with MLB, which of course has since implemented some form of it.

The reason not all 32 franchises have a top tier QB is not lack of affordability in and of itself.   Rather its the supply and the salary cap.  These 5 top paid QBs are only 5 out of 32 starting QBs.  There are a number of teams that have younger QBs who they hope will blossom into elite caliber QBs, although I'm sure their most ardent fans will argue their guy is already an elite QB.  Then there are others who have the likes of Derek Carr or Baker Mayfield who they hope can bandaid the team until they find next opportunity to draft the next hot young QB.  Those are the teams who just haven't had a high enough draft pick to get a prospective franchise QB out of the draft... or did have that pick but the pick went bust.

Clearly most franchises these days will spend the money on the QB when the salary cap forces them to choose between paying the QB and keeping other players.  Some have been notable for spending money on just about every skill position except QB, but looks like even these now have some young QB prospect in place now.

Mahommes on whether he feels underpaid:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/40672172/chiefs-patrick-mahomes-says-not-underpaid-qb-deals

He's pretty much echoing what has been said about Tom Brady, all those years that Brady was NOT the highest paid QB but earned somethign much more valuable - the Superbowl rings.  My buddy the Saints fan used to compare Drew Brees unfavorably with Brady in this regard - Brees cared more about being paid - in my buddy's opinion - than winning more rings, so the team's salary cap combined with Brees' salary demands led to the dismantling of the Superbowl winning Saints squad.

"I think we do a great job of managing my money, to be able to pay me a lot of money and keep a good team around me," Mahomes told USA Today Sports. "I know we've kind of restructured it a couple of times and got the cash flow up in certain spots and certain years. It's about having a good dialogue, good communication with the front office, with ownership. We've done that here. And as we've been able to allow me to be a highly paid guy while at the same time build a great team around me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GovernorSilver said:

All NFL franchises can afford a top tier NFL QB, thanks to revenue sharing.  

These 5 top paid QBs are only 5 out of 32 starting QBs.  There are a number of teams that have younger QBs who they hope will blossom into elite caliber QBs...

First, we have to define what makes a QB elite.😁

Today's highest paid QBs are benefitting from the structure of the position salary more than winning games, championships and Super Bowl rings.😎

• Like 2

PD

All I was trying to say is that if we're going to envy anyone's income, it might as well be the owners of NFL teams because their net worth dwarfs that of even the best paid players.

As far as "elite" goes, I'm not fond of the simplistic practice that measures a quarterback by how many Super Bowls his team won. First of all, it negates the worth of the team surrounding the quarterback; and secondly, it negates great quarterbacks like Dan Marino and Warren Moon, who were never on a Super Bowl winning team. As a Broncos fan, I'll add that John Elway was a better quarterback when his team lost Super Bowls than he was when they won and he was past his prime.

It's true that the rules have been changed over the years so that a quarterback affects the outcome of games more than ever before; but it's still a team sport, and that makes it more difficult to measure the effectiveness of any particular player. For example, was Jerry Rice a better receiver because of Joe Montana, and Montana a better quarterback because of Rice? How would their stories have been different without each other?

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Missed opportunity for Patrick Mahommes.   Of course the media is going to pepper him with silly (imo) questions like "Do you think you're underpaid now?".   He should have answered "I'm fine with what I'm getting paid now, as long as Coach stops stealing my nuggies and painting mustaches on my face"

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Geoff Grace said:

As far as "elite" goes, I'm not fond of the simplistic practice that measures a quarterback by how many Super Bowls his team won.

True.

An elite QB should not be judged solely on Super Bowls won.

QB Jim Kelly went to 4 Super Bowls and doesn't have one ring to show for it. He does have stats, playoff games and championships to prove his worth.

An elite QB gives his team a better chance of winning and makes his teammates better too. His body of work reflects it as well.😎

• Like 2

PD

5 hours ago, GovernorSilver said:

Sorry Geoff, but I honestly didn't know the Broncos had a shot at drafting Josh Allen but passed on him

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/40676865/john-elway-says-biggest-mistake-broncos-gm-was-passing-qb-josh-allen-2018-nfl-draft

Interesting. I didn't know that either, GovernorSilver.

Oh well, you win some; you lose some. Picking the college players who will succeed in the pros isn't much different than making any other prediction about the future. Even the experts don't know what's going to happen. The best you can do is hope you picked the right player and then put him in the best possible situation to win.

Best,

Geoff

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Preseason game tonight at 7 PM EST on NFL Network...Panthers vs Patriots.😎

• Like 1

PD

Vikings' J.J. McCarthy to miss 2024 season after knee surgery

Sam Darnold was supposed to start anyway; so if McCarthy had to miss a season, this was the best season to miss. Even so, if Darnold were to flop, it would have been nice to have McCarthy waiting in the wings.

Best,

Geoff