Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL Thread 2024-2025

My sources are telling me that KC is allotted the win in LIX, but then SF gets wins in LX and LXI to allow Shanahan a hall of fame slot).  

The Rams get awarded the win in LXII since they're also getting the Olympics. (synergy for the powers that be in California). 

Philadelphia isn't on the plan until they win in LXVII.  

• Haha 2

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

As the carousel turns, QB Drew Lock is heading to the NY Giants to fill in the vacancy left by QB Tyrod Taylor. 

Between QBs  Daniel Jones and Drew Lock, the G-Men will be spending about $56M at the position this upcoming season. 

Yet, the same team refused to get a deal done with their best offensive player in RB Saquon Barkley. Maybe they are doing a favor in allowing him to go to a better team.

Otherwise, insane business decisions for a Giants team that won't make the playoffs anyway.😁😎

• Like 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

As expected, the Chargers released a starting WR to free up cap space.   Mike Williams' release frees up $20 million.   After a career 2021 performance, Williams' 2022 and 2023 seasons were mostly lost to injury. 

Khalil Mack is restructuring his deal to free up more cap space and remain a Charger.  Harbaugh vs. Staley as HC helps here.

1 hour ago, GovernorSilver said:

As expected, the Chargers released a starting WR to free up cap space.   Mike Williams' release frees up $20 million.

I wonder if the Redskimmanders might make a play for him. There was pundit talk of them needing a bigger WR opposite McLaurin. Although his last couple of years don't inspire much confidence.

Edit: After reading what his contract numbers were and considering he's coming off an ACL, I don't know if it would be a good move for the Redskimmanders.

Live: Yamaha S70XS (#1); Roland Jupiter-80; Mackie 1202VLZ4; IEMs or Traynor K4

Home: Hammond SK Pro 73; Moog Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue; Yamaha S70XS (#2); Wurlitzer 200A

40 minutes ago, wineandkeyz said:

I wonder if the Redskimmanders might make a play for him. There was pundit talk of them needing a bigger WR opposite McLaurin. Although his last couple of years don't inspire much confidence.

Edit: After reading what his contract numbers were and considering he's coming off an ACL, I don't know if it would be a good move for the Redskimmanders.

Yeah, coming off the ACL tear is the reason some Charger bloggers think he'll struggle to land a deal for what he or his agent think he is worth, then come back to the Chargers at a discount.  Such talk smacks of wishful thinking to me though.   Can't blame 'em for wanting a familiar skill player to stay - it's natural to fear the unknown as far as who might replace him on the roster.

Somebody will make him an offer that he'll take.  Might not be the Chargers.

8 minutes ago, Dave Bryce said:

Harbaugh making his presence felt. 🤔😳

That be what he do! 🤣

--

Yamaha C7D

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

Also, Joey Bosa is restructuring his contract - and yes taking a pay cut - to stay a Charger, despite his mom's pleas for a trade to the Niners so he could join her other boy up there.  

Keenan Allen is a WR who had a good 2023 season but also missed games on injury, missed a good chuck of 2022 on injury and is 31 years old.  Should such a WR fetch more than a 4th round pick in trade?  We'll never know.  Apparently Allen's refusal to take a pay cut like Joey Bosa led to this trade.  Shame he had to go but such is business in the NFL.  He'll probably be replaced by a veteran WR who cost less against the cap and is willing to block on running plays - shouldn't be hard to find one.

Oh and Khalil Mack also took a pay cut.

Housecleaning included LBs Murray and Kendrick.  Don't miss either one really.  

Oh and one of Mahomes' latest moves is already being called "pulling a Tom Brady".  In other words, he restructured his contract to help the Chiefs' salary cap.  He really wants that 3-peat.

The San Francisco 49ers bolstered their defensive line on Wednesday, trading a seventh-round draft pick to the Houston Texans for defensive tackle Maliek Collins.

The move is also likely to be the final nail in the coffin of Arik Armstead’s tenure in red and gold.  Armstead, also a defensive tackle, is set to leave the Niners after nine seasons with the team, reportedly because he declined to take a pay cut.  Tied possibly indirectly to some factor either not related or possibly related to the former DC.

--

Yamaha C7D

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

Keenan Allen is not a typical Ryan Poles sort of move in that he's 31 years old, but y'know, it's Keenan Allen. I think it's a good move for the Bears. And I definitely didn't see that one coming.

One of the greatest defensive linemen of all time has retired:

Rams' Aaron Donald, 3-time DPOY, retiring from NFL at age 32

It’s sad news for us Rams fans; but Donald has been considering retirement since the Rams won the Super Bowl, so I’m not surprised.

Best,

Geoff

• Like 2

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Vikings now have 2 1st round picks after this trade with the Texans

They still don't have a top 5 first round pick though for drafting a top QB prospect, so speculation is they'll trade those 2 1st round picks to move further up... unless they really think Sam Darnold is their new franchise QB.

Some talk of the Chargers trading down from the #5 overall pick, especially if Marvin Harrison Jr. is off the board by pick 5.  In that case I'm sure they'll pick up the phone if the Vikings come calling.

Surprised the Steelers gave on QB Kenny Pickett. Thought QB Russell Wilson would serve as a veteran mentor to him.

Read that QB Pickett wasn't too happy with Steele acquiring QB Wilson. 

The Steelers have cleaned out last year's QB locker room.

It will be interesting to see who the Steelers bring as a backup QB and also which QB they draft. 

Commanders have traded QB Sam Howell to the Seahawks. Leaves QBs Marcus Mariota and Jake Fromm. Looks like whoever we draft will be starter.😁

Just getting started and lots of free agency and off-season moves already.😎

• Like 2

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

The Justin Fields question has been answered:

Sources: Bears trading QB Justin Fields to Steelers

Russell Wilson is still expected to be first string, with Fields apprenticing.

I had hoped that Caleb Williams would wind up on his home town team, but it doesn't seem likely now.

Best,

Geoff

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Geoff Grace said:

:waitwhat: :noway:

dB

• Like 2

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

2 hours ago, Geoff Grace said:

Steelers QB house cleaning makes more sense now.

QBs Russell Wilson and Justin Fields should give the Steelers offense a bump. They already  have good pieces in RBs Najee Harris and Jaylen Warren, WR George Pickens and TE Pat Freiermuth. 

The AFC North just became even more interesting.😎

• Like 2

PD

I predict great, great things for Wilson in Pittsburgh. That system and staff is perfect for him.

The opposite of that consistent, well-oiled football franchise would be my Browns. Now we have Jameis Winston backing up Deshaun Watson and as a good, decent human being, it just gets harder and harder for me to justify rooting for a team that's (how do I say this kindly) full of psychologically and legally broken people.

And beloved local boy Mike Vrabel in as a consultant/coach (how did he not land a HC gig?). Due to this, the fans are already second guessing Stefanski and it's only March.

Sometimes I wish I was a Steeler fan: life would be so much easier.

• Like 1

Roland RD-2000, Yamaha Motif XF7, Mojo 61, Invisible keyboard stand (!!!!!), 1939 Martin Handcraft Imperial trumpet

"Everyone knows rock music attained perfection in 1974. It is a scientific fact." -- Homer Simpson

12 minutes ago, kpl1228 said:

And beloved local boy Mike Vrabel in as a consultant/coach (how did he not land a HC gig?). Due to this, the fans are already second guessing Stefanski and it's only March.

I believe Mike Vrabel will land another HC gig during the next hiring cycle.

For many years now, even before bringing in players with personal issues, the Browns always seem to be constructed as an opponent. 

The Browns are the AFC version of until recently, the NFC Detroit Lions. 

The football team equivalent of a sparring partner in boxing.🤣😎

• Like 1

PD

Commanders signed another ex-Charger - this time CB Michael Davis.  He's coming off of a rough 2023 but that was under Staley's head scratcher of a defensive system which confused even veteran players - eg one side playing man and the other side playing zone - and increasingly erratic playcalling.  Davis might be able to bounce back in DC, depending on the system, coaching, etc.  He should still have 4.3 speed to go with his size and legnth.  Chargers will supposedly get a 6th round compensatory pick for Davis' departure.

On 3/15/2024 at 10:12 AM, Geoff Grace said:

One of the greatest defensive linemen of all time has retired:

Rams' Aaron Donald, 3-time DPOY, retiring from NFL at age 32

It’s sad news for us Rams fans; but Donald has been considering retirement since the Rams won the Super Bowl, so I’m not surprised.

Best,

Geoff

Not surprising at all. Glad he got a Super Bowl ring. Seems like a great guy.

• Like 1

On 3/16/2024 at 4:36 PM, Geoff Grace said:

I had hoped that Caleb Williams would wind up on his home town team, but it doesn't seem likely now.

Poles said he would "do right" by Justin Fields, and apparently, given the market, this meant turning down at least four other teams and having Fields go to the Steelers like he wanted, as he is a huge Wilson fan and is with a strong organization/coaching staff and is in a strong position to be the starting QB next year (if not this year). This would explain in part why Fields was traded traded for a bag of chips and a hot dog.

A lot of Chicago Bears fans are hopping mad over it, but you know, it's the NFL and...it's just business. At least Poles didn't screw him over and seemingly had the team take a slight loss to get Fields where he wanted to go, so there's some integrity in that. 

Hopefully Caleb Williams or whoever becomes the Bears QB balls out. The team now looks to be strong. This is something Fields never had. But Williams (or whoever) inherits this and has a decent chance of succeeding, assuming the new OC Waldron is halfway decent.

10 hours ago, KenElevenShadows said:

Poles said he would "do right" by Justin Fields, and apparently, given the market, this meant turning down at least four other teams and having Fields go to the Steelers like he wanted, as he is a huge Wilson fan and is with a strong organization/coaching staff and is in a strong position to be the starting QB next year (if not this year). This would explain in part why Fields was traded traded for a bag of chips and a hot dog.

A lot of Chicago Bears fans are hopping mad over it, but you know, it's the NFL and...it's just business. At least Poles didn't screw him over and seemingly had the team take a slight loss to get Fields where he wanted to go, so there's some integrity in that.

I wonder if the hopping mad fans have considered the possibility that by doing right by Justin Fields, the Bears could be viewed as a more attractive destination for free agents, who might think they'd get better treatment by Chicago than other teams. If they can land top players by treating them better, maybe it's worth the short term loss of not getting the most team-friendly deal in the trade.

10 hours ago, KenElevenShadows said:

Hopefully Caleb Williams or whoever becomes the Bears QB balls out. The team now looks to be strong. This is something Fields never had. But Williams (or whoever) inherits this and has a decent chance of succeeding, assuming the new OC Waldron is halfway decent.

At this point, none of the NFC North teams look bad to me. The Lions are the best they've been in ages, and the Bears and Packers are on the rise. Even though the Vikings lost Kirk Cousins, they look poised to move up in the draft and grab a top prospect. It seems at least possible that three teams in this division could make the playoffs next season.

Best,

Geoff

3 hours ago, Geoff Grace said:

I wonder if the hopping mad fans have considered the possibility that by doing right by Justin Fields, the Bears could be viewed as a more attractive destination for free agents, who might think they'd get better treatment by Chicago than other teams.

Excellent way to look at the trade.

Especially for players who don't mind playing in a cold environment in more ways than one.😁😎

• Like 1

PD

On 3/20/2024 at 2:22 AM, Geoff Grace said:

I wonder if the hopping mad fans have considered the possibility that by doing right by Justin Fields, the Bears could be viewed as a more attractive destination for free agents, who might think they'd get better treatment by Chicago than other teams. If they can land top players by treating them better, maybe it's worth the short term loss of not getting the most team-friendly deal in the trade.

At this point, none of the NFC North teams look bad to me. The Lions are the best they've been in ages, and the Bears and Packers are on the rise. Even though the Vikings lost Kirk Cousins, they look poised to move up in the draft and grab a top prospect. It seems at least possible that three teams in this division could make the playoffs next season.

Best,

Geoff

I think that's what's going on as well as hopefully the idea of actually trying to treat people with some respect since essentially, you're booting someone out who never had a fair shake, decent coaching, or a decent team.

The Bears have a way of screwing things up, but since they have a new regime, I'm hoping that this time, things are different.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

In breaking news, the Buffalo Bills are trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Houston Texans.

This will be an interesting season for the Bills as they have blown up their WR corps. The GM is all in QB Josh Allen they trust.

As if the QB room could not get any worse, the Commanders have picked up QB Jeff Driskell. Still hard to believe if the season started next, QB Marcus Mariota would be starter.🤬

Sadly, former NFL CB Vontae Davis passed away this week at 35 years old. May his soul RIP.😎

PD

Buffalo Bills trading Stefon Diggs to the Houston Texans. It's all over the news and radio here. 

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com