Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Why do famous artists cover up the brand names on their keyboards on TV (and sometimes live)?

55 minutes ago, harmonizer said:

In the spirit of obscuring logos on gear, as a joke, my son put a "Marshall" plastic logo on an old Roland KC-100.

I got "Peavey" and "Behringer" badges from a tech buddy for similar pranks.  I used to go to synth get-togethers where people bring gear for show-n-tell.  One year I brought my Oberheim FVS and I put the "Behringer" logo on it.  The "Peavey" badge is for similar gags.

The "John Deere" badge fell off my tractor - need to find a home for that one... :laugh:

ob-fvs-behringer-gag.jpg

• Like 3

16 hours ago, ksoper said:

I love how Ronald Mael (Sparks) turned the "Roland" on his JP-8 to "Ronald." 

I once saw someone who put black tape over the “leg” of the “R” in Roland to read “Poland.”

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Yet the guys more front and centre and in the audience eye compared to the keyboardist who is at the back or side, by their positioning the front and centre guys display their choice of Instrument without resorting to lengths of Duct or Gaffer Tape.

A Fender Stratocaster or Telecaster or Gibson Les Paul or SG are so Iconic to a level that no Keyboard can even remotely compete with.

Sorry to upset the apple cart, but that is reality.

• Like 1

Col

The only time the logos on my boards were covered were when we played the local segment of ABC's Good Morning America back around 2010.   It was the network and not me who did it.

It was also a 5 am load in to be ready for our 7 minutes of fame at 9 am   :)

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

2 hours ago, Biggles said:

A Fender Stratocaster or Telecaster or Gibson Les Paul or SG are so Iconic to a level that no Keyboard can even remotely compete with.

Sorry to upset the apple cart, but that is reality.

I don't believe this thread is about KBs and guitars being in competition when it comes to the cover-up.😎

• Like 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I just wonder if those that say they cover the brand name on their keyboards because they didn't get them free on an endorsement deal do you also cover up the brand names on the cars you drive and other things you use outside of your house? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EscapeRocks said:

The only time the logos on my boards were covered were when we played the local segment of ABC's Good Morning America back around 2010.   It was the network and not me who did it.

It was also a 5 am load in to be ready for our 7 minutes of fame at 9 am   :)

Same. We did a few of those ‘Good Morning’ shows. Sometimes they covered, sometimes not.

• Like 1
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.

1 hour ago, ProfD said:

I don't believe this thread is about KBs and guitars being in competition when it comes to the cover-up.😎

It is about attitude.

Meaningless trivia, and juvenile antics.

Col

On 2/16/2024 at 12:14 PM, The Real MC said:

I got "Peavey" and "Behringer" badges from a tech buddy for similar pranks.  I used to go to synth get-togethers where people bring gear for show-n-tell.  One year I brought my Oberheim FVS and I put the "Behringer" logo on it.  The "Peavey" badge is for similar gags.

The "John Deere" badge fell off my tractor - need to find a home for that one... :laugh:

ob-fvs-behringer-gag.jpg

It would be fun to put logos from completely unrelated products on there, and let people think those companies have branched out. Cuisinart, Revlon, Adidas...

• Haha 1

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

On 2/16/2024 at 12:14 PM, The Real MC said:

ob-fvs-behringer-gag.jpg

That's it. Ensoniq is going on the hammy yesterday!

8 hours ago, MathOfInsects said:

It would be fun to put logos from completely unrelated products on there, and let people think those companies have branched out. Cuisinart, Revlon, Adidas...

...Been trying to find a Harley Davidson sticker to cover "Kurzweil" on my MIDIBoard

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Docbop said:

I just wonder if those that say they cover the brand name on their keyboards because they didn't get them free on an endorsement deal do you also cover up the brand names on the cars you drive and other things you use outside of your house? 

To me it’s a question of degree. If Subaru wrote their name in big block letters over the hood or across the passenger-side doors, I’d think twice about buying, and would definitely figure out an after-market solution to make it less ugly.

A little logo on the back and/or front? No biggie.

That’s my issue. Small logos I accept as a necessary part of brand identification. Big aestheticly disrupted text designed to thwart any sense of discreteness or class? F that. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, BluMunk said:

To me it’s a question of degree. If Subaru wrote their name in big block letters over the hood or across the passenger-side doors, I’d think twice about buying, and would definitely figure out an after-market solution to make it less ugly.

That’s my issue. Small logos I accept as a necessary part of brand identification. Big aestheticly disrupted text designed to thwart any sense of discreteness or class? F that. 

Perfectly parsed. Thanks for crystalizing that. 

www.joshweinstein.com

3 hours ago, BluMunk said:

You mean like this?  Unfortunately, even with the huge logo and “Palisade” going almost the entire width of the vehicle, I don’t see people covering it up (or removing it).  And they’re selling like hotcakes.  Maybe large logos are not a big negative for many people.

IMG_0365.jpeg

• Confused 1

Ludwig van Beethoven:  “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”

My Rig: Yamaha MOXF8 (used mostly for acoustic piano voices); Motion Sound KP-612SX & SL-512.

You posted a picture of the thing he said he's ok with.  :) 

As I am. As a logo-coverer or non-wearer, I can tell you that I don't care about my car showing the manufacturer's logo or the car's model. I also would NOT allow the side of my car to be used for advertising--by the manufacturer or others--without getting $ for it.

Anyway, this discussion always goes the same way. I'm not sure why so many go to "hypocrisy" when it's just preference or idiosyncrasy. I'm not telling anyone else to cover their logos, or staking out some position of principle that I demand others follow. It's just my own preference and practice. I gaffe-tape all audience-facing logos and other writing on my boards, so all that shows is the black panel. If they were smaller, I might never have started to do it. (I can't remember why I started. I think it was for some promo video that couldn't show brand names.) Now I do it basically the day I unbox a board. FWIW I also cover my Mac logo for stage use.

It might be one of those things, too, where once you do it once, not doing it starts to feel weird. Like heroin. 

• Like 1

www.joshweinstein.com

2 minutes ago, MathOfInsects said:

You posted a picture of the thing he said he's ok with.  :) 

As I am. As a logo-coverer or non-wearer, I can tell you that I don't care about my car showing the manufacturer's logo or the car's model. I also would NOT allow the side of my car to be used for advertising--by the manufacturer or others--without getting $ for it.

Anyway, this discussion always goes the same way. I'm not sure why so many go to "hypocrisy" when it's just preference or idiosyncrasy. I'm not telling anyone else to cover their logos, or staking out some position of principle that I demand others follow. It's just my own preference and practice. I gaffe-tape all audience-facing logos and other writing on my boards, so all that shows is the black panel. If they were smaller, I might never have started to do it. Now I do it basically the day I unbox a board. (I also cover my Mac logo for stage use.)

It might be one of those things, too, where once you do it once, not doing it starts to feel weird. Like heroin. 

I thought he was ok with subtle, but not OK with obnoxiously large.  The huge logo and “Palisades” across the most of the back, to me, is in the obnoxious category.  And I could list many more models similarly identified.  Yet not only are most people fine with it - perhaps manufacturers are finding that it actually increases sales.  As I suspect keyboard manufacturers have also found.

Ludwig van Beethoven:  “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”

My Rig: Yamaha MOXF8 (used mostly for acoustic piano voices); Motion Sound KP-612SX & SL-512.

2 hours ago, Docbop said:

Is only cool with people when it will get you laid or a gig.

If that were the case we'd all be gluing guitars or saxophones to the backs of our keyboards. 

• Haha 2

www.joshweinstein.com

When I was touring, we blacked out all the audience facing logos on all of our gear.  It makes for a very clean looking stage-

-dj

iMac i7 13.5.2

Studio One 5.5.2

Nord Stage 3

Nord Wave 2

Nektar T4

Drawmer DL 241

Focusrite ISA Two

Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre

If I did a gig where there was an advertiser agreement (like the TV network stuff mentioned earlier in this thread), I would be okay covering stuff. For my own gigs, the way I see it, I don't play garbage - so if it's good enough that I'll gig it, I'm not ashamed of that. To be honest, if I like it that much, I'm happy to promote it for other musicians who might like that feature set. And some companies I have had very positive experiences with (i.e. Yamaha), so I don't mind a bit of free promotion if it encourages them to keep making good gear.

• Like 2

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76| Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT, Kurzweil PC4 (88)

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

On 2/17/2024 at 2:17 PM, Docbop said:

Funny, I was just thinking about that after seeing one of those trucks with the GIANT (and obnoxious and tacky IMO) logo across them...like, is it possible or even legal to simply remove all branding from your car?   The legal part of course was a thought because cops may want to take make and model down...

I've never given a single thought to covering up keyboard logos. Hell I've never had a bandmate or audience member ever comment on any aspect of any keyboard I've brought out in the past 13 years of gigging.   Keyboard stands on the other hand seem to get comments.

Way back when we removed our Peavey logos from our absolutely terrible solid state guitar amps (Backstage), like that was going to fool anyone into thinking we had decent amps!  Which was the only goal, nothing to do with advertising.  And I think one of us did have a "Marshall" logo of some sort that he stuck to the grill...

1 hour ago, Stokely said:

is it possible or even legal to simply remove all branding from your car?

It's typically possible. Slide fishing line between the logo and the bodywork and work it back and forth, as if it's a "saw". 

Legal? Yes in UK - some manufacturers even offer debadging as a factory option. My science teacher at school had a 1st gen Golf GLi with "GTi" badge on it.

Cheers, Mike.