Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

pdbass - cool bass-oriented YouTuber

Hello folks,

This is not strictly keys-related, but I wanted to quickly shout-out one of my favourite music YouTubers.  Interestingly, this guy is a bassist, so most of his videos are discussions from a bass playing perspective, however there is still a lot of good content for keyboard players, or folks who just enjoy someone speaking eloquently and enthusiastically about music.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/@pdbass

His videos are relatively short, but pack in a lot of detail (some cool trivia), some nice playing, and are produced in a simple yet elegant manner that I appreciate.

Here is a recent example:

An older example, breaking down a Donny Hathaway classic:

Cheers,

James

x

• Like 5

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

22 minutes ago, CHarrell said:

Yes! He's a real cool dude who shines a light on a wide variety of great bass playing in a very sincere way. Love his video on Ed Motta's "Marta".

Sounds awesome, definitely gonna have to check this guy out!

Cheers,

James

x

• Love 1

I've been on a few gigs with Paul, and several of my musician friends gig with him more regularly.

He is one of the best bassists in the Pittsburgh scene and a really nice guy!

I like his channel a lot and am very happy for his YouTube success.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, davinwv said:

I've been on a few gigs with Paul, and several of my musician friends gig with him more regularly.

He is one of the best bassists in the Pittsburgh scene and a really nice guy!

I like his channel a lot and am very happy for his YouTube success.

Wow, that's awesome!

The next time you see him, please do pass on my warm regards! ;)

Cheers,

James

x

21 hours ago, Kawai James said:

An older example, breaking down a Donny Hathaway classic:

Thanks for sharing it.

A small nit: at 1:30, he starts spreading the bad ole urban myth of the "sweet sounding key of F#". While it's perfectly possible that many folks might find that particular maj7 voicing he played more pleasing at F#, it doesn't prove that F# has this magical "color" he described.

The pleasing sound is much more likely just a result of proper voicing, in other words, avoiding muddying up the lows or thinning out the highs.

To those with golden ears (and imagination) like that YTber, see if you can pick the "best sounding" version of the maj7 chord played in the attachment.

17 minutes ago, AROIOS said:

A small nit: at 1:30, he starts spreading the bad ole urban myth of the "sweet sounding key of F#". While it's perfectly possible that many folks might find that particular maj7 voicing he played more pleasing at F#, it doesn't prove that F# has this magical "color" he described.

Who can prove something like this, or even claim to be able to? He says "keys are like colors and each has a different feeling and sound." I would consider this his opinion even though he didn't preface his statement with "in my opinion." To me it's kinda implied when you make a statement like that. I mean, to call any key "sweet sounding" has to be opinion! I don't have one myself - rather, I think that with a vocal tune the choice of key will (or should) be conditioned on the vocalist's range, and where that fits with the melody and ad libs the vocalist wants to perform in the song.

I've watched many of Paul's videos and find them all very enlightening. He is extremely knowledgeable about not only jazz but r&b, funk, disco, pop, etc. He'll tell you who played on the sessions, why they're held in high regard, what other sessions, albums & CDs they're known for, etc. He definitely got my vote when he did a video on an AWB song I currently play bass on with AWB! (Paul, where do I send the check?) 🙂 

• Like 4

I play bass as well and first found Paul’s channel when searching for Meshell Ndegeocello transcriptions. Leaned this killer groove and have been coming back to his channel ever since. I find his videos to be the perfect mix of music history and theory and he really packs a lot of info into each one without demanding a huge time investment from the viewer. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Jazz is the teacher, Funk is the preacher!