Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official MLB 2024 Thread

Ha! I don't pay for ESPN, so I'm blacked out of their broadcast of tonight's Braves-Dodgers game on the Roku MLB.TV app, but they still have the radio broadcast. Just as a hunch, since I have the Disney+/Hulu/ESPN+ bundle, I clicked on the Spanish broadcast and I've got the game on my TV!  spacer.png   ESPN+ comes in handy every once in a while.

• Like 1

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

My Guardians are finally playing like a postseason team. Who makes me nervous? The Royals. Even if the Royals end up the wild card, in a postseason series I see KC winning.

This may be the year I head back home to Cleveland for a victory parade.

Roland RD-2000, Yamaha Motif XF7, Mojo 61, 2 Invisible keyboard stands (!!!!!), 1939 Martin Handcraft Imperial trumpet

"Everyone knows rock music attained perfection in 1974. It is a scientific fact." -- Homer Simpson

3 hours ago, Geoff Grace said:

Win or lose, it’s always great when the Dodgers and Braves meet. Sorry for the outcome, Synthaholic.

Best,

Geoff

We split, but really, the Braves were in a great position to sweep. They just can't produce with RISP.

• Like 1

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Shohei Ohtani first 50/50 player in major league history

He's also the first 51/51 player, after hitting three home runs in a row, not to mention hitting at every bat. He had a six-hit, three-homer, two-steal game against the Marlins.

Ohtani broke two Dodgers records in the process: the season home run record and driving in 10 runs in one game.

Last, but not least, the game clinched a 12th straight playoff berth for LA and Ohtani's first postseason appearance.

Amazing!

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

6 minutes ago, Geoff Grace said:

after hitting three home runs in a row, not to mention hitting at every bat. He had a six-hit, three-homer, two-steal game against the Marlins.

It would have been a stellar game for Ohtani even if the last at bat never happened. That the last at bat was against a position player throwing from the mound is a bit of an asterisk. 

Also not to be overlooked is that he's stolen 51 bases while being caught only 4 times, which is an incredible success rate even considering the new baserunning rules that make stealing easier.  Consider that Elly de la Cruz has stolen 64 but been caught 16 times.

• Like 1

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Ohtani is a once in a generation athlete. His work ethic is admirable. Glad I am still around to watch him play. 

• Like 1

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

The overlooked stat from Ohtani's big night: 17 total bases. It's only happened 6 or 7 times and each one was a 4-homer game (plus a single) but Ohtani did it with 3 HR, 2 doubles, and a single. So that's different.

I've always believed that Total Bases should also include walks, stolen bases, hit by pitch - any way that you gain a base. It makes sense to me, but that's not the stat. Maybe they need a Total Total Bases stat.

Henry Aaron is the all-time leader in Total Bases, which shouldn't surprise.

image.thumb.png.70727ac0aceb866bc1968d497d0a7dec.png

EDIT TO ADD:

Yup - here we go:

bafkreiauuzdz33v3h6wjcs26yjca5fvzre5arhgf5jv23aizwyjozy3z34.jpg.25d81d0b2eccdefa8b874a248d7d8669.jpg

Maybe this is better. But shouldn't Shohei be behind Scooter? 10 RBI in 5 at bats is better, I'd say.

Capture.JPG.f5ce34798f04c47dca63dce6c5824a02.JPG

On 9/21/2024 at 9:55 PM, Synthaholic said:

The overlooked stat from Ohtani's big night: 17 total bases. It's only happened 6 or 7 times and each one was a 4-homer game (plus a single) but Ohtani did it with 3 HR, 2 doubles, and a single. So that's different.

I've always believed that Total Bases should also include walks, stolen bases, hit by pitch - any way that you gain a base. It makes sense to me, but that's not the stat. Maybe they need a Total Total Bases stat.

Henry Aaron is the all-time leader in Total Bases, which shouldn't surprise.

image.thumb.png.70727ac0aceb866bc1968d497d0a7dec.png

EDIT TO ADD:

Yup - here we go:

bafkreiauuzdz33v3h6wjcs26yjca5fvzre5arhgf5jv23aizwyjozy3z34.jpg.25d81d0b2eccdefa8b874a248d7d8669.jpg

I agree it would be useful to have a "Total Total Bases" stat. Players like Ruth, Williams, Mantle, and Ricky Henderson got tons of walks, and those were a significant part of their offensive contribution to their teams, and to their offensive dominance. 

Consider the difference in value of three famous leadoff hitters known as great base stealers: In their careers, Maury Wills walked 552 times, and Lou Brock walked 761 times, but Ricky Henderson walked 2190 times.

• Like 1

Ruth - 2062 walks, but Bonds is the all-time leader with 2558, and Rickey is #2. When you look at both the all-time Walks and Total Bases lists there's no one playing today who is anywhere near. Bryce Harper is #110 in walks (1032), at 31 yrs old. But he's not disciplined enough, and likes to swing the bat, as he should. I think Juan Soto is the best bet out of current players to end up cracking the top 25. There aren't a lot of batters working counts on pitchers, the way Pete Rose or Wade Boggs used to do.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/leaders/BB_career.shtml

Strange end to the National League season, with Mets and Braves playing a double header Monday to determine which of them (or both) will start a division series Tuesday. Must be exhausting. 

And speaking of exhausting, imagine being Bobby and having to practice organ not knowing which team is coming into town Tuesday. OK, obviously that's  just a lame joke -- I'm sure his repertoire is the same either way. Go Pads!

• Like 1

This double-header is killing me. 😵

Maybe the Mets would rather not win both games? If they do, the play San Diego, if they split, the Brewers. San Diego is the stronger of those 2 teams going into the post season. Padres played most of the year without some of their best players, but going into the playoffs they're almost at full strength, missing only shortstop Kim. I can see why the Mets chose to rest Lindor and start Luchessi, who hasn't pitched in the majors all year.

The Padres get a day off, home field advantage, and will be playing a Braves team that's on it's 4th game in its 3rd city in 3 days, and might not have Chris Sale at full strength or at all.

But if you're a Braves fan, at least there's a chance and they're still a team loaded with talent and experience.

• Like 1

What an epic Monday double header and Tuesday/Wednesday at Petco Park. That wildcard series went exactly as it should have given the depleted state of the Braves. What more could you ask of a team that has been so beset with injuries?

Onto the NLDS!

• Like 3

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Only consolation so far is that the hated Astros got bounced by the no-name Tigers. Did you know that no one on that Detroit team even had 75 RBI? I'm loving their rise. I've always felt that when Detroit is competitive, it's good for baseball. Same with the Pirates.

Padres may be more than the Dodgers can handle. They seem driven. And now Freddie is iffy.

Yankees should handle the Royals, but I was seriously impressed, watching KC play the Braves in the last series of the season. Really good team. So they may just outrun the Yankees into the League Championship.

Cleveland should take care of the Tigers, and I kind of secretly would like to see them win the World Series. It's been a really long time.

That leaves Mets-Phillies. I hate them both.  spacer.png

Dodgers best chance to win the series was if Flaherty outpitched Darvish. That didn't happen and now they have a huge hill to climb. Ohtani is worth about half a lineup all in one player, but Dodgers just don't have the starting pitching. They have to hope for a miracle, like maybe Buehler suddenly finding his old form.

Though I always root for the Padres, it would be incredible to see both Ohtani and Judge in the World Series. Two of the top, I don't know, maybe, 20 hitters of all time, both in their prime.

• Like 1

Well, I think the Dodgers got their pitching miracle, an all-bullpen shutout. How humiliating for the Padres, in their home ballpark. Obviously, no team can pitch this way all the time, but for one game it worked brilliantly -- kept the Pads off-balance, constantly trying to adjust, and on the wrong side of lefty-righty matchups. Also, the Pads have to be regretting their decision to pitch Cease on 3 days rest, a questionable decision from the start given his last start demonstrated he's not at the top of his game.

I would give the Dodgers the advantage now for the simple reason that they're at home, and because they have to be feeling momentum after that stunning and strategic win. Also, Ohtani has gone 3 games without a homer so he's due for at least one if not more. But one of things you have to love about baseball is that when it comes down to a single game contest, anything can happen and anyone can be the hero.

On 10/10/2024 at 6:27 AM, Adan said:

Well, I think the Dodgers got their pitching miracle, an all-bullpen shutout. How humiliating for the Padres, in their home ballpark. Obviously, no team can pitch this way all the time, but for one game it worked brilliantly -- kept the Pads off-balance, constantly trying to adjust, and on the wrong side of lefty-righty matchups. Also, the Pads have to be regretting their decision to pitch Cease on 3 days rest, a questionable decision from the start given his last start demonstrated he's not at the top of his game.

I would give the Dodgers the advantage now for the simple reason that they're at home, and because they have to be feeling momentum after that stunning and strategic win. Also, Ohtani has gone 3 games without a homer so he's due for at least one if not more. But one of things you have to love about baseball is that when it comes down to a single game contest, anything can happen and anyone can be the hero.

It sure sucked! Hoping for better tonight.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

Wow! Dodgers two home runs and that did it!  What happened to the padres? 24 innings with no score!  

Congrats LA!

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Kiki Hernandez just dropped a major F-Bomb on national TV. 

2 hours ago, HammondDave said:

Wow! Dodgers two home runs and that did it!  What happened to the padres? 18 innings with no score!  

Congrats LA!

Who TF knows. 2 of the most disappointing games in franchise history.

Jack Flaherty isn't a household name but he was one of the best pitchers in baseball this year. In 162 innings he struck out 194 and walked only 38 -- stunningly good numbers. He also gave up 24 homers, but the Mets couldn't connect against him. After Senga fell apart in the first inning it felt like the game was already out of reach. Worse yet for the Mets, they decided to use David Peterson, making him less available for the coming games, so it was a loss that also harbingers more trouble ahead, and then Peterson wasn't even effective. 

• Like 1