Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Rob Thompson (RobT)

I know Rob posted here...

I received this email.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Hi,

I'm Rob's wife. Are you a friend of his. He may have mentioned you before. If so, you would probably want to know that he passed away on July 11, 2004. He had a heart attack in the middle of the night on a Sunday. He'd just come back home from vacationing in the mountains with our daughters and myself. It happened very quickly. He was alive and then he was gone on, to be with the Lord. Sorry to inform you this way.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

It was signed "Grace and Peace" from his wife.

I was so surprised that I checked Rob's ID - he hasn't posted since 7/11. I feel really sad.

I had the pleasure of meeting Rob in May when I was in North Carolina on business. We had talked on the phone from time to time. I've written his wife back and will do so again with this thread address, as I'm sure it will become a tribute to Rob.

Even if I hadn't talked with him on the phone or met him, I wouldn't have missed what a gentle soul he was...

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RobT's id number is 14207 - it's easier to find a person's posts with the number (there is a palce for it on the search page).

A great guy - I'm really saddened...

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

I'm speachless .. and in tears.

Reading Rob's last post's ... he had no idea he was going to die !@#$%^&* Unbelievable :confused:

I'm still in shock over Laura Brannigan .. I'd worked on one of her albums. Also w/ Roy Orbison George Harrison and Kirsty McColl and a couple others. What a bummer being so close to people who aren't here anymore.

We should ALL go out and live every day as if it were our last.

Russ

http://home.bellsouth.net/p/PWP-russragsdale

RobT was always a pleasant poster, although I didn't see him around near as often as some others on the forums. Rest in Peace RobT, and as Dak said, God Speed!

Lee, a collection or something of that nature might be a nice gesture from forum members for the wife. I'm game for a small contribution; can't be much more than $10.00 or so, but every little bit helps...

You gotta by kidding me! According to his profile, he was born in 1960. That's young!

I am so sorry to hear this. I'll miss RobT. I can't believe we just lost a fellow forumite. Sure, these are only online relationships, and most of us wouldn't know each other if we met on the street...but I consider us all to be friends.

Thanks so much to Rob's wife for informing us.

As Ani said, I would be happy to make a contribution for his family. Maybe something via Paypal would work out. It would be the easiest way for me.

Bless ya RobT. We'll miss you.

My thoughts and prayers are with his family.

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

(There are no words, just stunned silence)......

Not to be presumptious, Tom, but is there an email where we can send messages of condolences to his wife?

Perhaps, we could just post our messages here, and then you could forward a link to these threads.

(Excuse the above, Tom...I just re-read your initial post)...

A special thank you to his wife, for thinking enough of us to let us know. Sighhhhh...

To Mrs. Thompson and family...a hug, and a shared moment of silence and reflection...

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

I'm still just stunned, and so sad. Rob really was one of the best people here and I'm not just saying that because he's gone. He seemed to be good spirited and caring in every single post, though many of his posts were just a few words.

I do hope his wife is reading and sees how many people here thought so highly of Rob. Not that she needs any confirmation I'm sure.

Originally posted by Super 8:

I am so sorry to hear this. I'll miss RobT. I can't believe we just lost a fellow forumite. Sure, these are only online relationships, and most of us wouldn't know each other if we met on the street...but I consider us all to be friends.

Yeah, exactly! Losing Rob has hit me hard, even though we never met or spoke on the phone.

Rob fits that "only the good die young" adage. I never saw him post anything that wasn't helpful and respectful. A true gentlemen! I can't believe that he's gone.

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Sobering. Makes you wonder what this place is. When someone dies in "real life" and they disapear on-line, the virtual community suffers a loss as well. Just as the virtual community is not "real life," the on-line loss cannot come close, not anywhere close, to the loss for those whose lives were truly intertwined with his. But you do get a whiff of who he was in real life through his on-line personna, and it's seems pretty clear that with all the billions of humans racing around the planet, Rob was one of the good ones, a positive contributor in the forum, who must have certainly brightened the flesh and blood lives of those who knew him in his real life.
Dooby Dooby Doo

Originally posted by Duddits:

Sobering. Makes you wonder what this place is. When someone dies in "real life" and they disapear on-line, the virtual community suffers a loss as well. Just as the virtual community is not "real life," the on-line loss cannot come close, not anywhere close, to the loss for those whose lives were truly intertwined with his. But you do get a whiff of who he was in real life through his on-line personna, and it's seems pretty clear that with all the billions of humans racing around the planet, Rob was one of the good ones, a positive contributor in the forum, who must have certainly brightened the flesh and blood lives of those who knew him in his real life.

Well said. For a cat you're well spoken.

Rob and I tossed a couple of PMs back and forth and I'm better for it. There was an incident quite some time ago and Rob sent me a note that brought everything into focus. I appreciated it then and now.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

I just went back and re-read some of Rob's posts. What a super guy. While reading, I realized how much I enjoyed his laid-back outlook, his humor, and his general good-guy positive attitude.

I want to express my deepest condolences to Rob's family, and I'm wishing them all the best in honoring Rob's memory by moving forward with their lives, which is something I'm sure he'd want them to be able to do.

- Jeff

My thoughts are with the family... God bless them.

Originally posted by wraub:

Rob posted often in the LowDown, and another poster there, Connie Z, has built an honorary web site at

http://www.bassplayerheaven.com

What a great gesture - very touching.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Very sad news indeed.

I pray that Rob is enjoying some music wherever he is.

You know for all the posts Rob made I had to struggle to recall who he was. The low-key/polite folks dont always stick out in your mind. He was certainly in that category - while always staying positive.

Going back, as Jeff did, and reading some of his posts reminded me of that.

FWIW - This past week i lost my bosses boss to cancer @54 (a great guy who supported my career personally). I just came back from that funeral to read this.

I think i'll give my whole family a serious hug when I get home.

Check out some tunes here:

http://www.garageband.com/artist/KenFava

I was struck by the subjects of some of Rob's last posts: concern over gearmike\'s heart condition , concern over Henry Robinett leaving the forums , voting for Lee Flier ...

Rob was a very supportive guy. I wish he could have stayed with us longer. :(

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Archived