Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New iMac G5's announced

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So it's an iBook on an alyewminium stand?

the 20" screen is a nice idea, but all-in-one computers like the iMac scare me.

However, some people's needs are different.

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

Nice, but maybe it doubles a Powerbook.

If i would be Steve, i would stop producing the iMac line and would push Powermacs and Powerbooks (and of course Xserve)

Sucking the brain's vacuum

Waiting for the Nuclear Fusion. More energy, less damage.

Uh ohhhh....the wife's gonna want one.

I see they're claiming it's whisper quiet, which would be good if true since it's drawing air thru the speaker grills - which are right in yer face.

Just a pinch between the geek and chum

It's one thing to upgrade your computer every few years, but aren't you going to have to upgrade your monitor every time you upgrade your computer, with this architecture? Seems like an unnecessary cost to me...

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

I see they're claiming it's whisper quiet, which would be good if true since it's drawing air thru the speaker grills - which are right in yer face.

Hopefully so.. As much as Apple wants to say that their computers are whisper quiet, IMHO they seem quite loud. Maybe the eMacs, iMacs and Powerbooks seem that way because they're right in your face, but also the xserve, G4s and (especially) the G5. That thing sounds like a windtunnel- you can hear it above everything else in the server room at work, including the Koldwave standalone air conditioner.

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

Wow, whomever posted this, thanks!

:)

Of course computers will always get more powerful, but there will always be those who cling to older computers, which--let's face it--can remain useful for many years.

Personally, I find that my 800mHz 64mb PII running Windows 98SE does everything I need it to do.

On the other hand, I know I am going to have to get a new computer eventually, and this one certainly looks attractive--especially factoring in the fact that I could use it to play DVDs.

I wonder if i would really notice much difference, realistically, in performance, though?? :confused:

Man! Those Apple designers are good!

I THINK ( hate to second guess the designers) I would have preferred the connections down the back of the stand.

But come to think of it, all those wires would have had to go into the stand, Oh well that's why I'm not designing Macs.

Originally posted by phaeton:

So it's an iBook on an alyewminium stand? the 20" screen is a nice idea, but all-in-one computers like the iMac scare me. However, some people's needs are different.

I have a red iMac (in a nursery school), still chugging along no problems.

Originally posted by 1:

Nice, but maybe it doubles a Powerbook. If i would be Steve, i would stop producing the iMac line and would push Powermacs and Powerbooks (and of course Xserve)

Its to big to replace a PowerBook, 20 for screen plus the frame, and its 2 thick. Probably weighs a 1/2 ton too.

Originally posted by Bejeeber:

My G4/800 iMac is whisper quiet. You can tell when the fan is on, but its not obtrusive at all.

Originally posted by Botch.:

It's one thing to upgrade your computer every few years, but aren't you going to have to upgrade your monitor every time you upgrade your computer, with this architecture? Seems like an unnecessary cost to me...

Its no big deal. When you say iMac everybody knows its an all-in-one. You just buy and sell them as they are. Besides that, I dont know when I might want to sell the one I have, I dont know what else Id need for a desktop computer.

Sly :cool:
Whasineva ehaiz, ehissgot ta be Funky!

I like that it doesn't have a half-basketball sitting on the desktop -- but as a pal pointed out, while the new formfactor is attractive (in a way that complements the G5 cases) it's not nearly as convenient or flexible as the old swing-arm iMac.

And, though it looks great just standing there, as soon as you start plugging things into that nice port bay on the back of the monitor, you've got a nasty nest of wires sprouting out of it and trailing all across your desk. Seems to me it would have looked a lot better if the port bay was on the monitor stand or something.

But, really, seems to me the best of all worlds is a tower with plenty of expansion slots and drive bays sitting under the desk where it belongs, combined with a monitor (flat panel for most of us and a CRT for graphic artists and video producers) and a wireless mouse and keyboard combination.

But as someone pointed out above, one size never fits all.

Anyhow, sleek, handsome machine.

Gotta agree. Upgrades are gonna be a problem. Does look modern and cool tho.

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Originally posted by cwfno:

Gotta agree. Upgrades are gonna be a problem. Does look modern and cool tho.
Apple found when they surveyed people who'd bought Macs over the years that a very large percentage bought them and never upgraded them. Many of them never even bought extra software after the initial period of their purchase. A lot of them had as much as 8-10 years in between purchases.

Other makers might write that sector off. But Apple took note of the fact that there was huge brand loyalty in that sector. Some said they had thought about buying a Windows machine but that they were intimidated by what they saw as the complexity of the PC marketplace and software scene. Too many decisions. Too many lurking gotchyas.

The original iMac and the current crop of "lifestyle" software from Apple are products of Apple's attention to this market sector.

The iPod is a sort of natural extension of that, neatly integrated with the Mac and their online music store via iTunes.

It's like a nicely designed machine, when everything works, it's a beautiful thing. Right now everything's working pretty well.

OK. I checked out the pics. This is what I think:

This is one of those Apple products that will grow into its own in a later generation. But at its current stage, it's not quite ready for itself.

what I mean is that the it's a great idea, but just a tad clunky, with just a tad too much white plastic to monitor, and just a tad too thick. Too much crust, not enough topping.

However, with generation 2 and 3 of these things, when they shrink the white swath of plastic across the bottom, and turn it into what it truly aspires to be, a floating monitor, then it will kick butt.

So to celebrate the announcement of the new iMac, I put in an order for a pimped out dual 2.5 GHz Power Mac.

:D

Dooby Dooby Doo

Originally posted by Duddits:

So to celebrate the announcement of the new iMac, I put in an order for a pimped out dual 2.5 GHz Power Mac.

:D

Now, that makes sense. And, personally I'd want the tower just to get the case.

(If anyone turns up with an extra case, I've had a hankering to build my next, er, computer in one.)

When I saw this again last night on CNN Headline News, I realized that, in a way, they've taken a cue from a very old design: The Atari ST. The Atari Computer and disk drives were housed in the keyboard, with a separate monitor. This new iMac has the computer and disk drives in the monitor, with a separate keyboard. Interesting.

Botch

www.puddlestone.net

Originally posted by deanmass:

The only thing I do not like about the design is wondering how the weight of the cables will impact the stability of the screen when everything is plugged in.

Looks like you'll have to bundle the wires, and loop them over the top of the stand to unclutter the look, relieve stresson the ports, and balance the machine.

Whasineva ehaiz, ehissgot ta be Funky!

Originally posted by Groovepusher Sly:

Originally posted by deanmass:

The only thing I do not like about the design is wondering how the weight of the cables will impact the stability of the screen when everything is plugged in.

Looks like you'll have to bundle the wires, and loop them over the top of the stand to unclutter the look, relieve stresson the ports, and balance the machine.

If your worried about messy cables get a bleutooth KB & Mouse.

This is going to looking very sweet as my office computer is on it's last legs.

Although I'm using a G4 desktop now, I'm actually debating "downgrading" to the iMac line. I can't see why PT LE and a Digi 002 wouldn't work fine on the 1.8 ghx G5 model....

Originally posted by Talcott:

I like :thu:

Yet I can't help but wonder.....

WHERE THE FOOK ARE G5 POWERBOOKS!!! :mad:

From what I've read on xlr8yourmac.com, the G5 chip creates too much heat and they can't figure out a way to air-cool the chip enough to put it into a Powerbook. Ain't physics a bitch? :(

Botch

www.puddlestone.net

Archived