Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New iMac G5's announced

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by deanmass:

I think the new iMac is a hit. They are also cheaper than I expected.

The only thing I do not like about the design is wondering how the weight of the cables will impact the stability of the screen when everything is plugged in.

Looks like you can bundle the cables and put them through the big round hole in the stand, which looks to be high enough to keep them a little more out of sight.

One of my pals (a guy for whom every slightest development from Apple is one more huge piece of evidence of the superiority of the Mac and the inferiority of generic PCs... I'm surprised he didn't try to spin the Dual-Mirror-Door-Fan-Noise problem to say that it was a feature so a G4 couldn't back up over you in a parking lot without you knowing it) wrote me excitedly saying -- "And you can hang it on the wall!" But apparently he didn't look at either the power or signal connection ports which certainly would not allow a flush mount.

Originally posted by nursers:

Although I'm using a G4 desktop now, I'm actually debating "downgrading" to the iMac line. I can't see why PT LE and a Digi 002 wouldn't work fine on the 1.8 ghx G5 model....

I am actually considering the same thing. My DAW is on my PC. I use my Mac G4 800MHz for graphic design and internet surfing. So, I can either add a 20-inch cinema display for $1299 or a space-saving, faster computer that is a 20-inch display for $1899.

Oh, and it comes with Marble Blast Gold as well!

Hmmm...

Deef

[brag] I just got back from a visit to Apple's labs this afternoon. Can't say what I was doing there ;) , but it was nice to see that they are using the WLAN card that I designed in this new G5 iMAC too! :thu: [/brag]

The machine itself is VERY nicely engineered. It's as cool inside as it is outside. IMO the whole thing is a piece of art. The tall white "bar" at the bottom of the display really isnt' that big - it's not something you notice, really! AND, to use the word "thickness" when referring to the depth of the machine is a misnomer. You should be thinking "thinness". It really isn't very deep at all. Overall, it's definatly a thing of beauty and would look good on anyone's desk.

FYI, there are fans inside - one about 2" diameter and one about 1" diameter - however, they are virtually noiseless - they are obviously custom designed for low noise.

As for upgrades, I'm not sure what you'd need to add. It has plenty of USB and Firewire ports, Ethernet 10/100, modem, WLAN 54g etc. If you really want to, you can open the back pretty easily (two screws at the bottom) to change out the HD to a bigger one, or add memory etc. I don't see this as an issue.

Cheers,

:DTR

I think if you were getting a home machine primarily for recording you would probably want to think very seriously about a tower. FW (and USB) interfaces are for laptops and thank heaven for 'em. But a PCI based interface is cheaper, faster, more powerful.

It's hard for me to believe it, but I hear a lot of folks say that the reason for the popularity of FW and USB devices is simply beause people are afraid to open up their boxes. I know that doesn't describe anyone in here but it makes you think...

And on another audio-oriented BB I sometimes hang out at -- www.futureproducers.com -- a whole lot of the 'producers' have outboard cards -- and a lot of times it easy to entertain the notion of a fear factor in their decision.

[Full disclosure: I have a PCI based Echo Mia in my desktop machine and a MOTU 828mkII that goes with my laptop.]

Originally posted by Botch.:

Thanks for the scoop, Dave. One question if I may, is there room for a second hard drive inside, I keep reading that a recording hard drive should be separate from one with the DAW software, etc?

Hi Botch, nope, there's no dock for another drive, although, IMO, there IS enough space for one in the middle (only a small one though - laptop style). Your best bet is going to be to get an external Firewire drive for your music. Kinda defeats the neatness of having it all in one unit though doesn't it?

I'm sticking with my dual G5 2GHz tower with twin Sony 23" LCD monitors.....can't beat that combo (okay, I know, I know, it could be dual 2.5GHz.....)

Cheers,

:DTR

Archived