Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Doley brilliance!

miden

8 hours ago, Docbop said:

Ever hear the origina; song it was based on by Homer Banks, then done by Taj Mahal, Simply Red, Sam and Dave, Three Dog Night and others.  I like the Taj Mahal verson the best

Very cool, I never knew about this one.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

10 hours ago, Docbop said:

Ever hear the origina; song it was based on by Homer Banks, then done by Taj Mahal, Simply Red, Sam and Dave, Three Dog Night and others.  I like the Taj Mahal verson the best

Wow, always educational to hear the American R&B roots of British rock and soul. From subtle stylistic influence to full-on plagiarism, and everything in between!

Slight tangent, but I always thought Led Zeppelin got a little too much flak for how liberally they lifted old blues licks and lyrics -- hadn't the Beatles and the Stones done plenty of that sort of thing, too? You can't copyright a I - IV - V progression. But then I heard the Small Faces' 1966 recording of You Need Loving and went "...oh... never mind then."

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

4 hours ago, SamuelBLupowitz said:

Wow, always educational to hear the American R&B roots of British rock and soul. From subtle stylistic influence to full-on plagiarism, and everything in between!

Slight tangent, but I always thought Led Zeppelin got a little too much flak for how liberally they lifted old blues licks and lyrics -- hadn't the Beatles and the Stones done plenty of that sort of thing, too? You can't copyright a I - IV - V progression. But then I heard the Small Faces' 1966 recording of You Need Loving and went "...oh... never mind then."

Zepp was more brazen in their "borrowing" than the Beatles or Stones. Beatles and Stones wore their influences on their sleeves, especially early on, but found ways to make new songs out of the stuff. Zepp just played old American blues tunes and called them something new (or not even). 

Their defense--which I actually sort of buy, up to a point--was that they were just a bunch of snot-nosed kids playing songs they liked in local clubs. They didn't know they would be become famous and successful. They never expected their noodles to matter to a soul beyond them.

This starts to break down once they continued to fight sharing (or just giving) proceeds to the guys they ripped off. Memory says they did eventually make this right, or at least gestured at it. 

• Like 1

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

I have to agree with Theo. The bass figure is strikingly similar, but the I bIII IV V pre-chorus section is missing, the chorus is missing, and so is the I7 intro; these are major landmarks in the song recorded by the Spencer Davis Group. Without those, all you have is the bass figure and some patter featuring the word "love" over a long-I, IV V chord progression with a long I outro. That's way too different to be considered "the original version".

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800