Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What are our modern options for hardware sound sources with polyphonic aftertouch?

RABid

I was really disappointed that Yamaha released the Montag M with poly-aftertouch only on the 88. On the other hand, I'm excited that Korg and NI are releasing controllers with poly aftertouch. But that has me wondering, what are our options for keyboards with poly-aftertouch or modules that accept poly-aftertouch? I know the HydraSynth has aftertouch though I don't really like the sound. Do any of the DSI modules accept poly-aftertouch?

• Like 1

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I've been using polyphonic aftertouch on my XKey Air 37 long before HS was a thing. Of course, it's not everyone's cup of tea with what are basically keys that feel like computer keyboard switches (they actually are), however I find its poly AT very controllable and linear and for me personally the general playability is good enough, certainly not as bas as some people may say it is.

• Like 1

I've debated getting the Hydrasynth Explorer to use as a small midi controller; it could also be used at gigs but I prefer having only one keyboard and that ain't going to be it.  If it had a vocoder I'd be all over it; for me personally that is a disappointing omission in that line.

There is some conjecture that the Arturia Keylab mark III controllers (which are likely coming out soon, the III essential version is already out) might have poly AT.  I'm in no hurry really and am interested to see if they do.

I am waiting for the new Arturia keylab Mk3(i am sure it will be released in 2024) and i believe it will have poly aftertouch...

Kurzweil K2661 + full options,iMac 27",Mac book white,Apogee Element 24 + Duet,Genelec 8030A,Strymon Lex + Flint,Hohner Pianet T,Radial Key-Largo,Kawai K5000W,Moog Minitaur,Yamaha Reface YC + CP, iPad 9th Gen, Arturia Beatstep + V Collection 9

https://antonisadelfidis.bandcamp.com

Huh?

Montage M8x, Waldorf, UDO Super Gemini, Hydrasynth/Deluxe, Korg Keystage, NI Kontrol MKIII, Osmose Expressive E… if you actually played a well implemented PAT keyboard, you will not go back. That excludes the Fantom 8 PHA-50 with crap poly AT implementation.

Using:

Yamaha: Montage M8x| Spectrasonics: Omnisphere, Keyscape | uhe: Diva, Hive2, Zebra2| Roland: Cloud Pro | Arturia: V Collection

NI: Komplete 14 | VPS: Avenger | Cherry: GX80 | G-Force: OB-E | Korg: Triton, MS-20

Sold/Traded:

Yamaha: Motif XS8, Motif ES8, Motif8, KX-88, TX7 | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe| Roland: RD-2000, D50, MKS-20| Korg: Kronos 88, T3, MS-20

Oberheim: OB8, OBXa, Modular 8 Voice | Rhodes: Dyno-My-Piano| Crumar: T2

On 11/21/2023 at 9:10 AM, The Real MC said:

I own the Trigon-6 and OB-X8 and both of them receive poly-aftertouch.

As for modern MIDI controllers (with no on-board sounds, MIDI only), they don't make 'em like they used to.  I stuck to my Kurzweil MIDIBoard, no one makes anything close to it.

I have one too, and agreed. The VAX-77 was quite nice, but no longer have it.  The new Native Instruments controller works OK. I have it to sit on my main desk, as the MIDIBoard is too large and on a stand off to the side. I almost sold mine, then hooked it up to some of my synths that speak PAT and thankfully came to my senses.
I have heard GREAT things about the new Yamaha Montage implementation, but of course, you need to buy a $4500 workstation.   

Oh, the Osmose. groundbreaking on a number of levels - but takes a little acclimation, where the others are "normal" keyboards that are PAT capable.

Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard

3 hours ago, Motif88 said:

Fantom 8 PHA-50 with crap poly AT implementation.

The Fantom 8 action does not do poly AT at all.

• Like 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

My bad...I stand corrected. Didn't realize it was just channel AT. All the more reason for my purchase of the M8x.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Using:

Yamaha: Montage M8x| Spectrasonics: Omnisphere, Keyscape | uhe: Diva, Hive2, Zebra2| Roland: Cloud Pro | Arturia: V Collection

NI: Komplete 14 | VPS: Avenger | Cherry: GX80 | G-Force: OB-E | Korg: Triton, MS-20

Sold/Traded:

Yamaha: Motif XS8, Motif ES8, Motif8, KX-88, TX7 | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe| Roland: RD-2000, D50, MKS-20| Korg: Kronos 88, T3, MS-20

Oberheim: OB8, OBXa, Modular 8 Voice | Rhodes: Dyno-My-Piano| Crumar: T2

Hydrasynth Explorer is my only experience with PAT besides a few iPad synth apps. While I like it while playing only on the Explorer, I usually have several synths going at the same time and really only utilize channel AT while comping or soloing. Explorer is only 37 keys (and minis at that) so not a lot of real-estate available to take advantage of low drones while soloing on top. 

I absolutely love AT and use it extensively on every board that has it and really miss it on boards that don’t have it…and SHOULD…MODX and OPsix!
Poly AT for me is just a niche feature; neat that it’s there, but I’ve yet to really utilize it.