Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha Montage M - power switch physically flips "off" on its own!!!

Ok guys, so what started as a funny video about what I thought could be a new feature, is now starting to get a little bothersome.  

Nobody else seems to be able to get their keyboard to do this.  

There is an auto shut off feature in the Yamaha Montage M series.  (I know it's been in their past boards too)...but this one is different. 

The power switch automatically flips from on to off.  Like a ghost does it😂😂.  I've not found one person that's been able to replicate it on their keyboard.  So now, I'm wondering if something is physically wrong with the switch.  

Please check out this extremely "short" video and let me know what you think.  Thanks! 

YouTube - My YouTube Channel (please subscribe for music tech info)

https://www.facebook.com/majesticstudiosllc

Instagram - majesticstudios_jld

Former Keyboard Tech -

PRINCE

Cassandra O'Neal 

KING (We Are King)

Majestic Studios - Audio Recording & Mixing Engineer

I expected some people to say... Oh yeah, mine she's that too.  And then we laugh it off and move on.  But that's just hasn't happened yet... I find it a bit awkward.  

Former Keyboard Tech -

PRINCE

Cassandra O'Neal 

KING (We Are King)

Did it correspond with the timing of your auto-shutoff settings? Sometimes switches are also circuit breakers. If this didn’t fit with auto-shutoff settings, that would indicate either something wrong with the power supply that is causing the switch/breaker to trip, or something wrong with the switch itself.

9 minutes ago, TJ Cornish said:

Did it correspond with the timing of your auto-shutoff settings? Sometimes switches are also circuit breakers. If this didn’t fit with auto-shutoff settings, that would indicate either something wrong with the power supply that is causing the switch/breaker to trip, or something wrong with the switch itself.

Oh yeah, the timing was in line with the auto shut off setting.  But still I wonder why no one else has experienced the same thing I did.  Lol. Or at least no one has responded that they have. 

Former Keyboard Tech -

PRINCE

Cassandra O'Neal 

KING (We Are King)

most keyboards i know of with auto shutoff have the ability to turn the feature off, so why dont you just turn off the feature?

as far as implementation why do you care if the switch also auto offs itself or not, i actually think it makes more sense that the keyboard's switch turns off if the keyboard is going into auto off, this way if the keyboard goes off and you see the switch is off you know it is related to auto off and not a different issue. 

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Just now, Delaware Dave said:

most keyboards i know of with auto shutoff have the ability to turn the feature off, so why dont you just turn off the feature?

as far as implementation why do you care if the switch also auto offs itself or not, i actually think it makes more sense that the keyboard's switch turns off if the keyboard is going into auto off, this way if the keyboard goes off and you see the switch is off you know it is related to auto off and not a different issue. 

Thanks for your feedback.  

As stated, I just want to make sure it's SUPPOSED to do it.  Turning off the feature doesn't fix anything if it's not functioning properly.  Lol.  You think I'm looking for band aids on purchase like this?  

FWIW, the switch definitely feels different after the autoshutoff. 

Just wanted to see if other people had the same experience.  Hadn't had one response saying their keyboard did the same thing. 🤷🏾‍♂️🫣

Former Keyboard Tech -

PRINCE

Cassandra O'Neal 

KING (We Are King)

1 minute ago, Baggypants said:

My thoughts:

1. Probably a broken spring in the switch.

2. Possibly a halloween month hoax, but it's a bit late.

3. Yamahaunted.

Right.  I originally posted this in Halloween, and someone told me my keyboard was haunted.  Lol

.- Yamahaunted sounds funny. 😂

You wouldn't think the spring being broken would make it happen in timing with the auto shut off timer though.  Right?  

Former Keyboard Tech -

PRINCE

Cassandra O'Neal 

KING (We Are King)

I can't answer your question because I don't have a Montage M. But FWIW, my Hammond SK Pro does the same thing with its auto-shutoff. It was a little disconcerting the first times it happened!

• Like 2

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

4 minutes ago, AnotherScott said:

I can't answer your question because I don't have a Montage M. But FWIW, my Hammond SK Pro does the same thing with its auto-shutoff. It was a little disconcerting the first times it happened!

Definitely.  My rep from Yamaha says it's supposed to happen.  But I'm still thinking, why doesn't any one else's board do it then. 😂😂😂😂

Former Keyboard Tech -

PRINCE

Cassandra O'Neal 

KING (We Are King)

6 minutes ago, Julius D Majestic Studios said:

why doesn't any one else's board do it then.

Maybe they disabled the auto off?

I have a question. If there is no power at all to the keyboard will the switch stay in the on position? If not then they're using an electromagnet to hold the switch on. It would be especially helpful for battery operated boards to do this.

My SK Pro was shutting off by default when I first got it--though I don't think the switch physically moved--I thought I had a defective unit.  I don't believe I'd ever had a keyboard with an auto-shutoff before.  The Sk Pro default shutoff time was annoyingly short iirc.   Long story short, if that's all it is just find it and disable as others have mentioned.

Not sure how many people here have these just yet.  I'd check the yamaha musician forum and maybe the facebook group for the montage, which I see posts from since I'm a member of the Modx group :)  If it is a defect of course you want to find out and get it taken care of by the vendor or via warranty asap.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Baggypants said:

Maybe they disabled the auto off?

I have a question. If there is no power at all to the keyboard will the switch stay in the on position? If not then they're using an electromagnet to hold the switch on. It would be especially helpful for battery operated boards to do this.

Well some people have reported that they went and changed their setting and sat and waited and it never shut off.  I found that extremely odd. 

Former Keyboard Tech -

PRINCE

Cassandra O'Neal 

KING (We Are King)

28 minutes ago, Stokely said:

My SK Pro was shutting off by default when I first got it--though I don't think the switch physically moved--I thought I had a defective unit.  I don't believe I'd ever had a keyboard with an auto-shutoff before.  The Sk Pro default shutoff time was annoyingly short iirc.   Long story short, if that's all it is just find it and disable as others have mentioned.

Not sure how many people here have these just yet.  I'd check the yamaha musician forum and maybe the facebook group for the montage, which I see posts from since I'm a member of the Modx group :)  If it is a defect of course you want to find out and get it taken care of by the vendor or via warranty asap.

Yeah the rep said it's supposed to do it.  I'm definitely going to double check though.  Just wanted to see what the keyboard community had to say before I made a big (or medium) deal about it. 

Former Keyboard Tech -

PRINCE

Cassandra O'Neal 

KING (We Are King)

I think my RD-2000 (maybe my Kronos) did that.   I'd be at my computer across the room working and hear a big click, it was the auto off turning off the keyboard.   It did have option in the system setting for how long to wait to turn off so I just took the longest time available.  

The instructions are in the Montage M Quick Guide page 31

RTM

Using:

Yamaha: Montage M8x| Spectrasonics: Omnisphere, Keyscape | uhe: Diva, Hive2, Zebra2| Roland: Cloud Pro | Arturia: V Collection

NI: Komplete 14 | VPS: Avenger | Cherry: GX80 | G-Force: OB-E | Korg: Triton, MS-20

Sold/Traded:

Yamaha: Motif XS8, Motif ES8, Motif8, KX-88, TX7 | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe| Roland: RD-2000, D50, MKS-20| Korg: Kronos 88, T3, MS-20

Oberheim: OB8, OBXa, Modular 8 Voice | Rhodes: Dyno-My-Piano| Crumar: T2

Guys, the auto off is not the issue.  I know and understand what annauto off function is.  But I'm my experience it's been a "soft" off... Vs the switch manually flipping on its own.  It doesn't do it when I turn the feature off.  I simply wanted to know if ANY ONE ELSE HAD A MONTAGE M THAT WAS DOING THE SAME THING. 

And I still haven't found a single person who's Montage does this. 😂😂😂😂

My Yamaha rep said it is supposed to do it.  But other people who set the auto shut off aren't experiencing it.  

Crazy.  But .... It is what it is.  

Former Keyboard Tech -

PRINCE

Cassandra O'Neal 

KING (We Are King)

RTFM!

• Dislike 2

Using:

Yamaha: Montage M8x| Spectrasonics: Omnisphere, Keyscape | uhe: Diva, Hive2, Zebra2| Roland: Cloud Pro | Arturia: V Collection

NI: Komplete 14 | VPS: Avenger | Cherry: GX80 | G-Force: OB-E | Korg: Triton, MS-20

Sold/Traded:

Yamaha: Motif XS8, Motif ES8, Motif8, KX-88, TX7 | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe| Roland: RD-2000, D50, MKS-20| Korg: Kronos 88, T3, MS-20

Oberheim: OB8, OBXa, Modular 8 Voice | Rhodes: Dyno-My-Piano| Crumar: T2

3 hours ago, stoken6 said:

Auto-off is a European Union requirement. Is it possible that you got the EU firmware image, while "no one else has experienced the same thing I did" because they're running US firmware, which has the auto-off option deselected?

Cheers, Mike.

It doesn't do it when auto off is turned off.  

The switch flip (by itself) is the problem.  Not the feature. 

Did anyone actually look at the video? 🫣

Former Keyboard Tech -

PRINCE

Cassandra O'Neal 

KING (We Are King)

6 hours ago, Docbop said:

I think my RD-2000 (maybe my Kronos) did that.   I'd be at my computer across the room working and hear a big click, it was the auto off turning off the keyboard.   It did have option in the system setting for how long to wait to turn off so I just took the longest time available.  

I turned it off completely.  But I don't want to have to make work arounds for a keyboard that is less than 2 weeks old.  IF it's not supposed to flip.  Hope that makes sense.  

Former Keyboard Tech -

PRINCE

Cassandra O'Neal 

KING (We Are King)

10 hours ago, Stokely said:

your forte does.  remember when it was shutting off when you were going to buy it and i told you to turn the feature off? 

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

1 hour ago, Motif88 said:

RTFM!

Dude, he’s not asking how to set the feature, he’s asking about the button popping out which is not in the manual. Calm down…

image.jpeg.dbfe6b32cb9163a5a6bf3c0230448b9d.jpeg

• Like 1

Studio: Motif XF8 / MacBook Pro / Apollo Twin X / M-Audio BX8a / Plug-ins

Live Rig A: Nord Stage 3 Compact 73 / Prophet Rev2 / Various FX pedals (Eventide, Strymon, Lounsberry, Neo Vent II)

Live Rig B: Yamaha MODX7 / Crumar D9-X / B3-X  (iPad)

Amp: MS KP-610s

1 hour ago, benj2017 said:

Dude, he’s not asking how to set the feature, he’s asking about the button popping out which is not in the manual. Calm down…

I can't recall what happened with my SK Pro.  However, the power switch on my Kurz definitely popped off by itself, after perhaps 30 minutes. I would be sitting across the room and the first time I heard it, I thought something was wrong or some piece of plastic on the board cracked by itself.  And yes, it didn't feel the same when pushing it back to the 'on' position.  The experience was similar to a GFI circuit breaker that flips off by itself due to some internal spring action that is triggered when a ground fault is detected.  After turning it back on, just like resetting a GFI breaker, the switch would operate and feel as expected,

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Delaware Dave said:

your forte does.  remember when it was shutting off when you were going to buy it and i told you to turn the feature off? 

I actually had forgotten :)  I don't remember the switch actually flipping back but my memory is terrible so I'll take your word for it!