Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Busking B-3

I've been a disciple of IK's B3X since December 2019. Since then I've adopted an Arturia KeyLab 61 Mk.II controller, and have chosen my iPad Mini 5 to host since it has an audio jack.

A while ago I grabbed an ION Pathfinder amp from BJ's for $129.00 USD just for playing tunes during family barbecues and the like. Recently I also purchased a Jackery Explorer 290 simply because I sleep with a CPAP and this device will power it for about 7 hours, after which either my generator or wall power can recharge it (there's a solar cell option as well). Tonight I brainstormed the idea of putting my clone rig completely under battery power and it works fine. The Jackery went from 99% down to 83% after about 3 hours of use, so it looks very promising for outdoor or non-AC gigs.

I'm passing this info on since some of you do this on a steady basis and might find it helpful. Also there are way bigger models to choose from so you needn't be relegated to keyboards with self contained speakers. It will increase your schlep factor, but being able to rely on steady clean power has to help overall.

• Like 9

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

I have a Roland A800 and iPad which I guess would do the same, and the sliders can be matched to the drawbars. Solid boards with aftertouch that can be picked up for peanuts nowadays, and only 4.5 kg. The Roland can actually run off the iPad's power making it a nice portable solution; just need an amp.

Nice stand by the way, I have the same. What is your iPad holder that fits to it?

20231027_182911.jpg

• Like 1

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

Nice stand by the way, I have the same. What is your iPad holder that fits to it?

i frankensteined an old desktop holder and mated it to this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XKVNJWG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hope this helps.

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

Nicely played lightbg!  B-3X sounds great too!

Are we hearing the sound of the Pathfinder amp in this video (as picked-up by the iPhone mic), or did you replace the audio with a digital recording from the iPad's DAW?

Cheers,

Jamesx

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

1 hour ago, Kawai James said:

Nicely played lightbg!  B-3X sounds great too!

Are we hearing the sound of the Pathfinder amp in this video (as picked-up by the iPhone mic), or did you replace the audio with a digital recording from the iPad's DAW?

Cheers,

Jamesx

Thanks for the compliment 😄

This is right out of the Pathfinder speakers into an iPhone 14 standard, no tricks, effects, or EQ. It has an 8" woofer and a small tweeter, and it has it's own battery good for 4-5 hours. This actually was the third take: after the first two I went into the CABS section to round OFF the lows. For what I paid it's the best kept secret in audio. Another plus: although you can't see it because the Jackery unit is hiding it, the top of the Pathfinder is a wireless charging pad and it also has a USB "A" port above the main volume pot.

Built in wheels and a retractable dolly handle are nice touches as well.

Jake

"It needs a Hammond"

Thanks for your reply lightbg!

On 11/3/2023 at 12:14 PM, lightbg said:

This is right out of the Pathfinder speakers into an iPhone 14 standard...

Just to clarify, you're connecting the output from the speakers into the iPhone 14, using a cable yes?
(i.e. we're not hearing the sound of the Pathfinder speakers as recorded by the iPhone 14's built-in mic.)

• Like 1

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

2 hours ago, Kawai James said:

Thanks for your reply lightbg!

Just to clarify, you're connecting the output from the speakers into the iPhone 14, using a cable yes?
(i.e. we're not hearing the sound of the Pathfinder speakers as recorded by the iPhone 14's built-in mic.)

No, I explained it poorly. This is direct ambient over the air recording. No iPhone input except what it's mics heard in the room. No cables, just speaker output into the room and what the iPhone hears sitting on the shelf behind me. The Pathfinder has no external out jack.

Hope that clarifies things.

Jake

• Like 1

"It needs a Hammond"

22 hours ago, lightbg said:

This is direct ambient over the air recording.

That's why we hear your chair squeaking.  

This is inspiring in more ways than one, thanks.

• Cool 1

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64