Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Weighted, semi-weighted, or synth action keyboard?

Pianos... weighted (aka fully weighted or hammer action) is almost always best, semi-weighted action (which is basically an unweighted action with weight added) next, and unweighted generally worst. There's still a god deal of variation within each of those categories.

Organs and most typical synth stuff... the fully weighted actions are worst; semi- and un- are close enough that it would depend entirely on the specific boards you're comparing.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Semi or synth action because of my tendonitis...

• Like 1

Kurzweil K2661 + full options,iMac 27",Mac book white,Apogee Element 24 + Duet,Genelec 8030A,Strymon Lex + Flint,Hohner Pianet T,Radial Key-Largo,Kawai K5000W,Moog Minitaur,Yamaha Reface YC + CP, iPad 9th Gen, Arturia Beatstep + V Collection 9

https://antonisadelfidis.bandcamp.com

Weighted keys preferred especially for EPs.

Synth action for the fun stuff (LH bass, organ, pads and leads). 

Semi-weighted as a compromise between the two. 😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Weighted for any sort of piano, acoustic or electric, synth style for, well, synths. Considering organ is not touch sensitive, it works well on synth although organ keys do have a slight resistance/spring perhaps best simulated by a semi weighted keybed.

Like many players used to (and still do) I favour a weighted bottom board (73 or 88 notes) and a smaller semi weighted top board that covers the rest. Synth style boards ‘can’ play a little flat with little travel and nuance, but you will likely want that for synth bass, lead, drums etc.

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

I've very surprisingly gotten used to playing everything live on a Nord stage 3 compact, though at home I play piano on a weighted keyboard.   We don't play a lot of subtle piano stuff though we do have a few ballads and such (and songs like Seger's Main Street).  I wasn't intending to gig this alone, and never thought I'd get on with playing that keybed this much.

Best all-rounder I prefer a quality synth action, the TP9 from Fatar I always liked.  This is not great for organ though, for that if you can't get waterfall, then a really light shallow action like that on the Modx7--which I dislike for everything else!--works fine.

I'll get used to most things in a few weeks.  No doubt that a nice-to-play action can make you want to play though.

I like weighted for piano and e-piano and semiweighted for the rest. But the reality is that I take only one keyboard to the gigs, so I play all with it.

I have two main keyboards right now, the MODX+ and the MONTAGE 6. Due to weight, I end taking the formerly only-rehearsals MODX6+ to some gigs. And there is a huge difference on its keybed and the FSX of the MONTAGE. I do some piano intros and, well, the MODX6+ is a PITA for that 😥

This forum taught me that there's basically no difference between unweighted/semi-weighted/synth actions. They all rely on springs to return the key to its starting point. (a "semi-weighted" may have additional weights under the keys compared to an "unweighted" from the same manufacturer, but there are no external rules regulating this). There are decent sprung actions (Kronos, Montage, Fantom) and crappy sprung actions (Krome, VR09).

And of course taste and personal preference comes into it.

Cheers, Mike.

After years of carrying around a weighted k/b for piano (72 pounds) and two other keyboards for synth and organ i wanted an all-in-one solution (one board). I went semi-weighted as a compromise, not the best for piano, synth or organ but acceptable to me for all three.

• Like 1

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

My gigging rig for the last 15 years has always been:

- weighted 88

- synth action 61

This is to have the proper action for what I'm playing and redundancy in case one fails.

If I had to have one for a gig, I would do weighted 88 (I'm more piano-centric than organ/synth).

If I had to have light weight "compromise" keyboard to play piano and organ/synth on, I would use my Casio CT-S500 with an iPad.  Despite using higher end keyboards in my normal rig (Nord Stage, Motif, Kronos, etc), I've found that the CT-S500 has the best unweighted resistance for playing piano. 

I'll also say that as grateful as I am for all the feature/sound improvements in keyboards over the years, I've never had better keybeds than what I had about 4 iterations ago:  Yamaha S90ES (great weighted action with very usable aftertouch)  and Roland VR-760 (really nice feeling waterfall keyboard also with nice aftertouch.)  

• Like 2

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

What is an example of a semi weighted board?  I have played electronic keyboards since I got my Farfisa Compact. I’m not clear on when unweighted ends and semi weighted starts. 

As far as preferences, it depends on what I’m playing. Organ has to have an organ action. Synth stuff depends on its nature.  Piano parts require piano action.   The technique mechanics of the playing styles are different. 

• Thanks 1

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Like many, for a long time my regular preferred rig was a synth-action 61-key sitting above a hammer-action 88-key.  But for the last couple years pre-Covid, i had dropped the upper keyboard from my solo show rig and played with just the 88-key --  i liked having as little hardware as possible between me and the audience.  But i've come to realize i much prefer non-hammer actions for the most part (i'm not really a piano player).  So my current rig is two synth-action 61's (a whole lot more fun organ slaps and smears).

-- Jimbo

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Sam Mullins said:

My gigging rig for the last 15 years has always been:

- weighted 88

- synth action 61

This is to have the proper action for what I'm playing and redundancy in case one fails.

If I had to have one for a gig, I would do weighted 88 (I'm more piano-centric than organ/synth).

If I had to have light weight "compromise" keyboard to play piano and organ/synth on, I would use my Casio CT-S500 with an iPad.  Despite using higher end keyboards in my normal rig (Nord Stage, Motif, Kronos, etc), I've found that the CTS-500 has the best unweighted resistance for playing piano. 

I'll also say that as grateful as I am for all the feature/sound improvements in keyboards over the years, I've never had better keybeds than what I had about 4 iterations ago:  Yamaha S90ES (great weighted action with very usable aftertouch)  and Roland VR-760 (really nice feeling waterfall keyboard also with nice aftertouch.)  

Agree 100% and that is a nice combo there 🙂

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

I am cheap and lazy! Good hammer-action keyboards are heavy to move and  more expensive. I think a semi-weighted action works well for acoustic and electric pianos. Semi-weighted action is acceptable for organs and synths, but I find synth-action slightly better/easier for these types of instruments/patches. Right now, my favorite sem-weighted action is on the recent Casio Casiotone series of cheap portable keyboards: CT-S1, CT-S400, CT-S500, and CT-S1000V. I have the CT-S1 which is the cheapest one and the best-looking (available in 3 colors). It has some decent built-in sounds, but I use it strictly as a MIDI controller. I am tempted to upgrade to the CT-S400 to get a pitch-bend wheel or perhaps the CT-S500 to get pitch-bend and 1/4 inch TS outputs. These keyboards only weigh 10 lbs (4.5kg). I wish they were available in 73-key versions.     

36 minutes ago, CEB said:

What is an example of a semi weighted board?  I have played electronic keyboards since I got my Farfisa Compact. I’m not clear on when unweighted ends and semi weighted starts. 

As far as preferences, it depends on what I’m playing. Organ has to have an organ action. Synth stuff depends on its nature.  Piano parts require piano action.   The technique mechanics of the playing styles are different. 

Semi-weighted action has a "stiffer" spring that provides more resistance. I think the M-Audio Keystation 61 MK3 is a good example of a MIDI keyboard controller with semi-weighted action.  The Casio CT-S1, CT-S400, CT-S500, and CT-S1000V also are good examples (a local big-box music store should have one of these to try). 

I'm not picky with synths, mainly because I can't be. I'm a two-keyboard guy, and at this point I've grown to despise playing Hammond on non-waterfall keys, so that means the other board's gotta be something that can do piano and synth. Recently I upgraded to a Kurzweil PC4 for that. I'd much rather do synth on weighted keys than piano on unweighted ones.

I find it hard to really immerse myself into piano-playing without being able to feel [something approximating] the throw of the hammers. On the other hand, if you're putting the right kind of juice into your organ playing, doing it on a piano or synth action will cause injury - either to the board or your hands ;) 

1 hour ago, CEB said:

It's not a continuum, i.e. where one starts and the other ends, rather it's binary, a key either has a weight or it doesn't. Unweighted actions don't have weights in the keys. Semi-weighted actions have weights attached to the underside of the keys which gives them more "heft." AFAIK, semi-weighted actions didn't exist until well after the Farfisa Compact era.

I wonder if anyone here knows what the first keyboard with a semi-weighted action was? Even if the term wasn't in use yet? Though knowing the first use would be interesting too! The first that comes to my mind is maybe Ensoniq Mirage?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

1 hour ago, Sam Mullins said:

If I had to have light weight "compromise" keyboard to play piano and organ/synth on, I would use my Casio CT-S500 with an iPad.  Despite using higher end keyboards in my normal rig (Nord Stage, Motif, Kronos, etc), I've found that the CTS-500 has the best unweighted resistance for playing piano. 

I agree. I use a CT-S1 the same way (it has the same keybed as the CT-S500). I like the color options available with the CT-S1. I would describe the action as semi-weighted because it has some resistance when you press on the keys. I like the textured surface on the keys too (high-gloss keys are very slippery). Do you use the 1/4 inch audio outs on your CT-S500? 

56 minutes ago, AnotherScott said:

It's not a continuum, i.e. where one starts and the other ends, rather it's binary, a key either has a weight or it doesn't. Unweighted actions don't have weights in the keys. Semi-weighted actions have weights attached to the underside of the keys which gives them more "heft." AFAIK, semi-weighted actions didn't exist until well after the Farfisa Compact era.

I wonder if anyone here knows what the first keyboard with a semi-weighted action was? Even if the term wasn't in use yet? Though knowing the first use would be interesting too! The first that comes to my mind is maybe Ensoniq Mirage?

To me the Mirage was just another synth action.  I guess these huge hands of mine just are not discerning to anything I don’t use as a stage piano. 😁

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

1 hour ago, AnotherScott said:

I think my Ensoniq SD1 had a semi-weighted keybed and that post-dated the Mirage.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

2 hours ago, JamieT said:

I agree. I use a CT-S1 the same way (it has the same keybed as the CT-S500). I like the color options available with the CT-S1. I would describe the action as semi-weighted because it has some resistance when you press on the keys. I like the textured surface on the keys too (high-gloss keys are very slippery). Do you use the 1/4 inch audio outs on your CT-S500? 

I've not actually used my CT-S500 for any gigs...just as my couch keyboard so it's almost always just using the built-in speakers.  But I keep thinking about a quick setup busking rig. 

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

3 hours ago, Konnector said:

- Waterfall keys for organ.

To the best of my knowledge, there are no MIDI keyboard controllers currently manufactured with waterfall action. You can get an organ (e.g., Hammond XK series), but apparently there is no market for organ MIDI controllers.  

32 minutes ago, JamieT said:

To the best of my knowledge, there are no MIDI keyboard controllers currently manufactured with waterfall action. You can get an organ (e.g., Hammond XK series), but apparently there is no market for organ MIDI controllers.  

The closest I can think of is the Crumar lower manual, plus you need an add-on box-o'tricks to get "sensible" MIDI out of it. 

Cheers, Mike.

It depends on what I'm doing.

My go-to weighted is my beloved Roland RD-1000 Piano.  It's just the most pleasant-feeling keybed under my hands--and I've tried many weighted/hammer action keybeds.  Nothing comes even remotely close to the RD (except maybe the MIDIBoard.)

Synth/semi-weighted action: This one, right now, is between my KeyLab 61 MkII and my Karma.  The DX7 would probably be my go-to if I had the SuperMax upgrade which extends the velocity all the way to 127, among the many other things it offers.  However, if I ever got my hands on an old Quadrasynth, that would probably win it for me.

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud