Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Doobie ..... (Brothers that is)

Went to the Hard Rock in Atlantic City, NJ to see the Doobies (and smell alot of doobie as well).  Mike McDonald was playing a Montage and an SKPro. Tom Johnston was conspicuously missing from the show which made the show much more McDonald-era focused.  The band seemed to ebb and flow with energy, ebbing when doing McDonald era songs and flowing when doing pre and post McDonald era.  Pat Simmons and John McFee picked up the Tom Johnson leads and Pat picked up alot of the lead vocals that were Tom's.  Disappointment for me because I really like Tom and as much as I respect Mike McD the band just sounds different when they do Mike's R&B/Soul based rhythms rather than rock it out with Tom.  They ended the night with Pretzel Logic and Pat and John seemed to take the frustration out with a 10 minute guitar jam, swapping back and forth.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

I really wanted to see them when they were near earlier this year - it would have been very disappointing for TJ not to be there but still worthwhile as I have never seen them. I'm a huge Mike McDonald fan, but generally prefer the TJ era myself

• Like 1

Saw them last year. It was great.  I wish Cornelius Bumpus was still a live and Tiran Porter came back.  I guess he was concerned about new material and backed off the last tour before this one.  I still think they sound good though.  They have been through a lot with former members passing on. 

• Love 1

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

1 hour ago, Outkaster said:

They have been through a lot with former members passing on. 

Just about every 70's band still touring goes through passings or players just moving on ....

• Like 2

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Funny how the Mandela effect works. Last week I was checking out clips of The Doobies at Laguna Seca Rennsport. The bass player looks like Tom and the video is kind of blurry, so I only assumed Tom was in the clips I was looking at and there wasn't enough of China Grove for me to notice. Tom is not back yet after all. Terrific car and racing event put on by Porsche every few years. I think the only reason Saturday sold out was because of the Doobies.  ( The event was totally packed the other days also). Now I am not so bummed I could only go on Thursday and Friday. No Tom is a bummer for me too.

I recently read an interview with Donn Landee in Tape Op, and he had this great quote. 

"I recorded a lot of bands with brothers: the Dragon brothers, The Everly Brothers, the Van Halen brothers, and The Doobie Brothers. The Doobie Brothers were the only ones that didn’t fight, because they weren’t actually brothers!"

😂

• Haha 1

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

On 10/9/2023 at 5:44 PM, Delaware Dave said:

Just about every 70's band still touring goes through passings or players just moving on ....

A half-century of gigging or any type of job for that matter is not an easy feat. 

For artists and musicians, many of their peers have tapped out a long time ago or or as mentioned above, they are no longer here. 

I often wonder how the artist/musician feels having a band full of musicians who could be their grandkids onstage.😁😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

13 minutes ago, IMMusicRulz said:

I'm just glad that the Doobie Brothers still perform, they have always been awesome to see in concert. I remember HBO airing their farewell concert in 1982 from time to time.

The Doobies are still taking it to the streets after a farewell concert 41 years ago.🤣😎

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"