Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Greatest food combo ever?

I don't mean foods eaten "next to" each other, but literally combined...for ex: 

PB & J

Mac & cheese

Peas & carrots

And condiments/sauces/seasonings/dips/toppings/etc don't really count (so like "chicken fried rice and soy sauce" or "pepperoni and pizza" don't count).

I have to go with PB & J. Both work well on their own, but together it's magic. 

• Like 1

Guacamole is an amazing food combo, lots of variations. Use Hass avocados, properly ripened and all all the tasty stuffs. Peppers, onion, garlic, sometimes some sour cream depending, a dash of salt, maybe a splash of certain hot sauces for flavor. 

Tortilla chips make good dippers. 

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

34 minutes ago, Dave Bryce said:

Cheesesteak.  With onions, of course.

dB

I say yesssssss!!!!

20 hours ago, KuruPrionz said:

Guacamole is an amazing food combo, lots of variations. Use Hass avocados, properly ripened and all all the tasty stuffs. Peppers, onion, garlic, sometimes some sour cream depending, a dash of salt, maybe a splash of certain hot sauces for flavor. 

Tortilla chips make good dippers. 

Mmmmmmm......guacamole.......

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dave Bryce said:

dB

Delicious, but toppings or similar add-ons aren't really a food combo IMO. Otherwise pizza would hold about 16 of the top 20 spots. :)  

1 hour ago, JazzPiano88 said:

Red Beans and Rice.

Good call

Great, now I'm starving.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, bill5 said:

Delicious, but toppings or similar add-ons aren't really a food combo IMO. Otherwise pizza would hold about 16 of the top 20 spots. :)  

So, steak and cheese is not okay…but mac and cheese is? And how does steak and cheese differ from PB & J? :idk:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Oh I thought you were saying "cheesesteak" (which is in itself a combo so cheating ;) ) and onions. 

Steak and cheese rocks for sure. Although for me a cheesesteak is about the whole thing: the steak, the cheese, the bun, the onions, the....

Damn I cannot read this late at night, esp when I'm low on groceries. And I haven't had a cheesesteak in forever. 

2 minutes ago, bill5 said:

Oh I thought you were saying "cheesesteak" (which is in itself a combo so cheating ;) ) and onions. 

Not if you live in New England. They actually say steak and cheese. 🙄

As a native Philadelphian, that drove me a little nuts…I mean, they don’t say burger and cheese… 🤔

Steak and cheese rocks for sure. Although for me a cheesesteak is about the whole thing: the steak, the cheese, the bun, the onions, the....

Yum.

Stop that. 😬😏

And I haven't had a cheesesteak in forever. 

Do you have a place that makes a good one near you?  Took me a while to find one in Cali…but then again, I make a pretty decent one.

dB

1 hour ago, Dave Bryce said:

Not if you live in New England. They actually say steak and cheese. 🙄

Well they think Brady is the greatest QB ever too. Basically they're to be ignored in a :classic_rolleyes: kind of way. :)  

Do you have a place that makes a good one near you?  

Not that I'm aware of, but I admit I haven't really looked. I'm not much of a going out to eat person.

PS:  Philly to California...that had to be culture shock ;)  (Native Penna. here...yeah I know how to pronounce "Lancaster") :) 

"Cheesesteak" is a specific thing going under various names. Everyone knows it as "cheesesteak" even when it is known as cheese and steak or steak and cheese some places. If you intend to suggest the combination of cheese and steak you need to say that. Otherwise it is seen as the dish not the combo. :) 

Also, "guacamole" is a thing. Guacamole and chips would qualify. Not merely guacamole.

Preface this list as the parts combined by the mouthful:

BBQ burger and mayo

Oatmeal and fresh strawberries, sliced banana and/or diced fresh peach

Fresh slices of tomato and strips of fried bacon

Spaghetti and meatballs

A fresh carrot and chunks of cheese

Cheese and crackers

Hot coffee and a danish pastry

Scrambled eggs and buttered toast

Toast and jelly and butter

A margarita and tortilla chips and salsa

Tortilla chips dipped in Spanish rice

Romain lettuce topped and hot fried ground hamburger

A glob of potato salad over fresh green leafy vegetables

Steamed broccoli and whole raw cashews

Fresh bread and hot soup

BBQ hamburgers and sweet potato french fries

Rice and beans (i.e. rice in a bean burrito -not all burritos include rice, a plate of refried beans with a helping of rice)

Tortilla chips and a saucy Mexican dish to dip them in (i.e chile verde, enchiladas drowned in a red sauce, chile relleno drowned in a sauce, etc.)

A mashed potato crater filled with gravy or butter

A cold turkey sandwich and a bowel of hot gravy to dip it in

Fresh berries and ice cream

Fresh banana and ice cream

Hot chocolate and ice cream

Pastrami specifically and dark rye bread

Chocolate (dark) and fresh raspberries or chocolate anything and raspberry. The two never mix and always seem to retain their individual flavors. Side by side they are a tasty marriage (i.e. chocolate mousse with fresh raspberry, chocolate cake with raspberry filling, chocolate candy with raspberry filling, even chocolate chocolate with raspberry mixed together, etc.)

Coffee and rum

Coffee and Marsala wine

Coffee and chocolate

Crab and cream sauce

Sliced hard boiled egg and chunks of fresh avocado

Ice cold beer and something salty

Hot coffee and something sweet

5 hours ago, o0Ampy0o said:

Rice and beans (i.e. rice in a bean burrito -not all burritos include rice, a plate of refried beans with a helping of rice)

I used to have this for lunch often at La Guadalajara (10th and Empire).  Unbeatable, but I think they’ve closed.  
Also if you ever get the chance, El Buen Gusto tacos al pastor (Berryessa and Lundy).  Place is always packed for lunch with laborers chowing down on mass quantities of ceviche cocktails. 

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

6 hours ago, o0Ampy0o said:

"Cheesesteak" is a specific thing going under various names. Everyone knows it as "cheesesteak" even when it is known as cheese and steak or steak and cheese some places.

Tell that to the folks who like their steak sandwiches without cheese. :idk:

If you intend to suggest the combination of cheese and steak you need to say that. Otherwise it is seen as the dish not the combo. :) 

Maybe by you.  To me, a cheesesteak is the delectable combination of shaved steak and melted cheese, even better with the addition of fried onions.

BBQ burger and mayo

That violates brother Bill5’s rule of no toppings…and yum, I love mixing mayo and BBQ sauce as a condiment.

Oh, and I want to add peanut butter & celery to the list.

dB

OK. Here's an odd one. Born out of the Great Depression and World War II (in the US) when many foods were unavailable, and the rest were severely limited/rationed. Peanut butter, lettuce and mayonnaise sandwiches. My parents used to make these when I was a kid in the '50s and '60s and I still make them occasionally.  I've gone rogue though and add dill pickle slices.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

11 hours ago, Threadslayer said:

OK. Here's an odd one. Born out of the Great Depression and World War II (in the US) when many foods were unavailable, and the rest were severely limited/rationed. Peanut butter, lettuce and mayonnaise sandwiches. My parents used to make these when I was a kid in the '50s and '60s and I still make them occasionally.  I've gone rogue though and add dill pickle slices.

You are a sick man.

;) 

• Like 1

PS I guess I should've spelled this out better...I was thinking of two things only, not a bunch of stuff added together. Otherwise we'd have a zillion things on here....

And again, I must not read this late at night. I only ate 2,3 hrs ago and dying for at least half the stuff on these posts.

18 hours ago, JazzPiano88 said:

I used to have this for lunch often at La Guadalajara (10th and Empire).  Unbeatable, but I think they’ve closed.  
Also if you ever get the chance, El Buen Gusto tacos al pastor (Berryessa and Lundy).  Place is always packed for lunch with laborers chowing down on mass quantities of ceviche cocktails. 

La Guadalajara, yes I have been there a couple of times in my life. First time I saw things like meat from cow cheeks and a couple of others. I particularly liked their carnitas. Great burritos. At least those I had (early 80's) were focused on the meat so there was less salsa and beans. My friend liked Super Taqueria. We usually went to the one on 10th St. It was pretty consistent. I also liked the one in Morgan Hill. I was addicted to their super tacos with the avocado. He relocated to Washington State USA but every time he comes to town to visit relatives and friends or to do work he hits Super Taqueria. I will make a note of El Buen Gusto. When I am in the San Jose area I consider making a stop at Peters Bakery near Alum Rock and White Rd and James Lick HS. That is close enough to Berryessa and Lundy.

In regards to my quoted words here:

1. ""Cheesesteak" is a specific thing going under various names. Everyone knows it as "cheesesteak" even when it is known as cheese and steak or steak and cheese some places."

2. "If you intend to suggest the combination of cheese and steak you need to say that. Otherwise it is seen as the dish not the combo."

3. "BBQ burger and mayo"

16 hours ago, Dave Bryce said:

1. Tell that to the folks who like their steak sandwiches without cheese. :idk:

2. Maybe by you.  To me, a cheesesteak is the delectable combination of shaved steak and melted cheese, even better with the addition of fried onions.

3. That violates brother Bill5’s rule of no toppings…and yum, I love mixing mayo and BBQ sauce as a condiment.

These comments confused me.

1. I don't think the folks who like their steak sandwiches without cheese is relevant. "Cheesesteak" is steak and cheese and onion and I think mushrooms. Steak alone is steak alone. Granted, someone may concoct what is essentially a cheesesteak sandwich by unknowingly reinventing the wheel.

2. The thread title is food combos. A cheesesteak is more like a dish or casserole in that it is something in and of itself. If you present the ingredients of a dish in this thread context it would need to be described by the ingredients. However you said "cheesesteak."

On 10/3/2023 at 4:02 PM, Dave Bryce said:

dB

3. Yes you are correct about mayo being a condiment. I glossed over that part of Bill5's OP.

I will also point out that my Romaine lettuce and fried ground beef (chopped up) is using the hamburger as a dressing for the Romaine lettuce the way I eat it. Same goes for my green leafy lettuce with a blob of potato salad. The potato salad is eaten like salad dressing with the leafy lettuce.

In regards to my quoted words here:

"Preface this list as the parts combined by the mouthful:"

4 hours ago, bill5 said:

:classic_biggrin: I assume you're kidding, as that's not what I think anyone considers a "food combo." 

I only said this to emphasize that the combined things are eaten at the same time not separately. (i.e. A mouthful of a hamburger includes a french fry, a mouthful of oatmeal includes a strawberry, a mouthful of rice includes some beans, etc. Rather than eating each separately regardless of being served together.).

16 hours ago, Threadslayer said:

When I was a kid my mother would buy lunch meat which was tissue paper thin. If there was anything in the sandwich besides Miracle Whip it was just one thin slice. It was practically a Miracle Whip sandwich. I loved Miracle Whip. At some point my mom came up with the idea of making me Miracle Whip sandwiches, probably had something to do with me pulling the meat out and eating it separately then enjoying the sandwich without anything in it but the MW.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bill5 said:

PS I guess I should've spelled this out better...I was thinking of two things only, not a bunch of stuff added together. Otherwise we'd have a zillion things on here....

And again, I must not read this late at night. I only ate 2,3 hrs ago and dying for at least half the stuff on these posts.

Three gets into supersonic territory. But excluding more than three avoids "a bunch of stuff added together."

There is the BLT and then the BLTA. If you limit it to two which would you keep? 1. Bacon of course. 2. ? I say the tomato stays and the lettuce goes as would the avocado.

8 hours ago, Nowarezman said:

Bacon Lettuce & Tomato.  On good bread.  Homemade mayo.  I'll take four, please.

nat

I have had many BLT's and BLTA's in my lifetime. Anywhere you pretty much cannot mess those up if uncertain about the menu. But there is a local sandwich shop that serves the greatest BLTA. Every aspect has been perfected. I did not think there was so much room to improve on a BLT or BLTA.

#1 You have to have good flavorful bacon. Where does this come from? I try bacon everywhere I see a new source. There must be an exclusive source open only to restaurants.

#2 You have to have good bread. Bread is easier to come by. If anything, my area has great bread available.

#3 How all the ingredients are prepared, assembled then served can be magical.