Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

After videos of U2 at Vegas Sphere, I was thinking Yes, Pink Floyd, etc. at a venue like this!

Well neither YES (at least with the line up I have any interest in)  or Pink Floyd will ever be there. Maybe a professional level tribute band. Or Genesis, or ELP either. I'm sorry to say that the classic genre of 70s prog has left the building, someone please get the lights on the way out.

• Like 2

FunMachine.

14 minutes ago, Baldwin Funster said:

Well neither YES (at least with the line up I have any interest in)

Sure, i agree and a tribute band would be cool.  I'm just imaging the graphics of say Close to the Edge, etc.  Yes, ELP, Pink Floyd, Santana are bands of my youth but the possibilities of that backdrop would be so sick.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

I watch the video on another site and didn't like all the 360 video was too distracting from seeing the band.   Everything was too bright, they should of had more levels of light and dark to make U2 the focus.    

I saw Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon tour when they had the quadraphonic PA for 360 sound.   Then behind Pink Floyd they had a HUGE circular screen going almost to the top of the arena.   The visuals related to lyrics were projected on the screen.   That worked surround sound, but on main visual focus on the the band and screen that worked to me. 

The Yes tour I worked on was mainly had blobs on the stage and a couple floating above the stage and Alan White's drum  set.   Then projection screen behind the band and I think a couple small screens on the side.   The projections were main just effects like flames and other arty stuff.  Wasn't distracting just enhanced parts of songs.  

To me it's needs to be about the band like when I saw Rolling Stones  Steel Wheel tour.  The Stones carry a big stage kind like a factory and large area behind them like factory wall that Jagger could climb up to and dance.   Then projection screens up in the wall and on sides of the stage they was always just showing the band or dancers.   

Me I like the 60's bands on stage playing no fancy staging whole focus was on the music.  Even when I saw Elton John at the Forum and Queen they had very simple staging and lights.   

Oh and a tribute band at the Sphere yuck, leave the tribute BS to local clubs.   

It’s not U2 without Larry.  I’m surprised they did it for the money.  Then again has it really ever been U2 since Eno writing and Lawless performing (also explaining that none of them ever did anything solo).  

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

1 hour ago, JazzPiano88 said:

It’s not U2 without Larry.  I’m surprised they did it for the money.  Then again has it really ever been U2 since Eno writing and Lawless performing (also explaining that none of them ever did anything solo).  

You raise a good point re: Lawless - many years ago he was close to retirement but then stuck around. Has he finished up?

It's definitely cool (if not dizzying).  Good to see U2 is still open to pushing the envelope on stage production.  I wasn't too crazy about that huge screen that cut right down the center of the audience, but at least they tried something new.  While this is cool, the performers seem comically small.  As an audience member, I'd feel fairly disconnected.  I imagine this will be used for a whole host of performances other than traditional concerts.

The Grateful Dead used to have fire shooting out over you, and dragons, and they could turn people in the crowd into ewoks and wookies and they'd get tentacles, and they could make it rain or the sun come out, like if they played Looks Like Rain or China Doll. They had a giant screen too, but most of the visual fx weren't on the screen. You know, I think The Sphere could make that sort of thing happen, too - they just need to bring the right bands in. Or better yet, the right festivals.

The Burning Man people won't go back to the Black Rock "dry" lake bed next year, right? I mean, they're not stu... well, okay, if they decide not to go back, maybe the Sphere can host Burning Man? If Sphere were to host it, they could log the biggest BM ever, right in the heart of Vegas! Let's do this, Sphere!

4 hours ago, Artomas said:

The Grateful Dead used to have fire shooting out over you, and dragons, and they could turn people in the crowd into ewoks and wookies and they'd get tentacles, and they could make it rain or the sun come out, like if they played Looks Like Rain or China Doll. They had a giant screen too, but most of the visual fx weren't on the screen. You know, I think The Sphere could make that sort of thing happen, too - they just need to bring the right bands in. Or better yet, the right festivals.

The Burning Man people won't go back to the Black Rock "dry" lake bed next year, right? I mean, they're not stu... well, okay, if they decide not to go back, maybe the Sphere can host Burning Man? If Sphere were to host it, they could log the biggest BM ever, right in the heart of Vegas! Let's do this, Sphere!

The Grateful Dead just played people were just dropping better acid and thought they were seeing fire and dragons   <grin>

Actually I saw the Dead in L.A.  they played three night at the Hollywood Palladium.    Because of the size of the Palladium it was just the Dead no visuals, using the venue provided PA a bare bones Dead concert.   It was really a great show I went all three nights just music and people listening and dancing.   Plus Garcia's  New Riders of the Purple Sage was the open band so lots of good music.   

Burning Man I can't see anywhere other than out in the desert or out somewhere away from craziness of everyday life.    What I think would be cool in the Sphere is Circus de Soleil that is such a visual event to start with. 

• Like 1

I'm probably more into being immersed visually, so pipped in music might be all that needed. Although, at most stadium performances the band is also far away, so seeing a band there has got to be better than a large stadium. Obviously, small venues is the gold standard. 

My latest dream thought is to see Rick Wakeman's Journey to the Center in the sphere. (I did see him live performing that album with symphony in Boston.)

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

23 hours ago, Baldwin Funster said:

I'm sorry to say that the classic genre of 70s prog has left the building, someone please get the lights on the way out.

Some folks just cannot bring themselves to leave the theater even after the end credits and curtains close and turning on house lights. 

Especially bad for those who stick around after gear, PA system and lights teardown and loaded tractor trailers heading down the highway.😁😎

• Like 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I see the Vegas Sphere and its next-level approach to immersive audio and video as a "new instrument" with new capabilities.

Playing older music through the Sphere with cool visuals added is fine, but leaves me wanting.

I think what it could really use is a bunch of new A/V performance pieces commissioned specifically for its unique capabilities.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

U2 boob toob, swagger posers, this called for a dual headliner: Frank Sinatra and Elvis. Only thing topping that would be a triple header adding the debut of alien music performed by some of the space beings visiting Area 51 nearby. The tech for The Sphere could be reverse engineering of UFO's. Convenient location for such things, Vegas is.

I would love to see those prog rock bands play there, but they're too old, or dead, and can't draw the crowds necessary.

Who could do a residency after U2?

I imagine:

Coldplay

Metallica

Bon Jovi

Springsteen

The Eagles

Michael

Montage 8, Logic Pro X, Omnisphere, Diva, Zebra 2, etc.