Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Alongside the Shocking Blue and Golden Earring, the Netherlands had some great rock bands. One of those Dutch rock bands was Focus, whose leadership was classically trained musician Thijs Van Leer, who sang and played keyboards and flute, and guitarist Jan Akkerman, drummer Hans Cleuver and bassist Martijn Dresden. Since 2016, the lineup consists of Van Leer, drummer Pierre Van Der Linden, bassist Udo Pannekeet and guitarist Menno Gootjes. Releasing several albums for Polydor Records in the early seventies, it wasn’t until 1971 that the UK, Germany and America caught wind of them, thanks to the yodeling hit Hocus Pocus, which became their biggest home hit and also hit the top 10 in the US.

Their next hit, Sylvia, was a minor chart single in the UK, And the Netherlands. During this time, the lineup consisted of Van Leer, Akkerman, bassist Bert Ruiter and Van Der Linden. Their next albums, were Focus 3 and Hamburger Concerto, which was based on the classical music of Johannes Brahms. When Akkerman jumped ship for a solo career, he was briefly replaced by guitarist Eef Albers.

Jan Akkerman mostly played a Gretsch guitar, a Gibson SG, a black beauty Gibson Les Paul and a 1963 Fender Stratocaster Sunburst, with the serial number L08391 through a Fender Dual Showman amp. His solo album Tabernakel, released in 1973, is a great album, I actually own it myself and I think it’s great.

Thijs Van Leer also performed at the 1977 Montreux Jazz Festival in Switzerland, and that same year released a solo album, Nice To Have Met You, for Columbia Records. It has been out of print since the early eighties, but I also own a promotional copy of it and also enjoy it.

I hope you enjoy Focus. Introduce your mind to some of their amazing music.

5 hours ago, IMMusicRulz said:

...it wasn’t until 1971 that the UK, Germany and America caught wind of them, thanks to the yodeling hit Hocus Pocus, which became their biggest home hit and also hit the top 10 in the US.

I hope you enjoy Focus. Introduce your mind to some of their amazing music.

Oh yeah -- "Hocus Pocus" by Focus!  It's crazy good!

I still love that tune, and always wanted to play it in a band... Maybe some day.

Old No7

• Like 1

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

I love them to pieces and have been listening to their music since Live At The Rainbow came out. Some of the stuff they did toward the end of their run was kinda crappy (MotherFocus and Focus Con Proby) but the first few albums and the live one were brilliant.

mike

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

Been listening to Focus albums since the 70s. Here is Thijs van Leer playing flute with Uriah Heep (Ian Anderson also sat in with them occasionally).

Here he is playing Sylvia and Hocus Pocus with Transatlantic:

Gibson G101, Fender Rhodes Piano Bass, Vox Continental, RMI Electra-Piano and Harpsichord 300A, Hammond M102A, Hohner Combo Pianet, OB8, Matrix 12, Jupiter 6, Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, CS70M, CP35, PX-5S, WK-3800, Stage 3 Compact

Love them! I saw them in concert back in 1972 - they were great. And they had some jazz-rock quartet opening for them that I had never heard of called Return To Forever. I remember thinking that the  keyboard player was pretty good...

Thanks to all above who posted clips - just hen you thought Ian Anderson was a wacky/dynamic front man, here comes Thijs.

Jerry