Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL thread 2023-2024

10 hours ago, bill5 said:

I know it's a tough pill to swallow, but if I was the Vikings, I'd take my lumps this year and reboot next year. No trade is going to make them SB contenders

Yep, being mediocre (which is frankly pretty much what they are even with Cousins) gets you basically nowhere.   With the caveat that I haven't watched them much at all this year, they don't appear to be anything close to a Super Bowl team right now.

Racking my brain, trying to think of the last "franchise" quarterback the team has drafted.   Daunte, sorta, over 20 years ago?  Loved the guy, he was from my home's college (UCF) but WAY too many fumbles, and Moss made him look better than he was.   Rich Gannon would have qualified if he'd been the same guy that played for the Raiders when the Vikings had him as 3rd string...Wade Wilson?  Tommy freaking Kramer?  Fran Tarkington?  Holy hell that is not good when you have to go back to the 80s and 70s...and other than Fran, those guys are certainly not what I'd consider Hall of Famers. 

Edit: here's a scary list.  qbs drafted by them since 2000.

2006: Tarvaris Jackson 64th overall-2nd round

2007: Tyler Thigpen 217th overall-7th round

2010: Joe Webb 199th overall-6th round (drafted as a WR)

2008: John David Booty 137th overall-5th round

2011: Christian Ponder 12th overall-1st round

2014: Teddy Bridgewater 32nd overall-1st round

2020: Nate Stanley 249th overall-7th round

2021: Kellen Mond 66th overall-3rd round

oi.  Just oi.

17 hours ago, GovernorSilver said:

Yeah, no hope of trading to make the Superbowl is painfully obvious, looking at that list of 11 QBs.    As much as some of us love the stories of heroic QBs who come out of nowhere like Kurt Warner, none of those guys look like a Kurt Warner.

None of the QBs on the list of 11 will ever be a QB Kurt Warner. 

The stars aligned perfectly for QB Warner to go from a grocery store to multiple Super Bowls.

Short of riding with QB Nick Mullens upon return from injury, a healthy QB Jameis Winston could be the best stop-gap for the Vikings. 

I would not be at all surprised if QB Carson Wentz got the phone call to get off the couch and come back to play some football.

Another interesting possibility would be QB Matty Ice Ryan shedding his broadcaster suit and putting on a uniform and lacing up cleats again.😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Wow, Commanders trading away both starting pass rushers!  Young and Sweat!  Niners pass rush just got scarier.

Looks like Vikings plan to spend the rest of the season auditioning Jaren Hall.   Given the poor choices of QB on the trade market, they don't have much choice.  They traded for Dobbs from the Cardinals but he's obviously a depth acquisition, not starter material.  

Lions and Jaguars also traded, but for a more optimistic reason, to bolster themselves for possible playoff appearances.

25 minutes ago, GovernorSilver said:

Wow, Commanders trading away both starting pass rushers!  Young and Sweat!  Niners pass rush just got scarier.

They traded for Dobbs from the Cardinals but he's obviously a depth acquisition, not starter material. 

I knew the Commanders may not have been able to keep both DEs Chase Young and Montez Sweat but d8mn...both gone. 

DE Chase Young got the best deal going to the 49ers.  Hopefully, da Bears will pay DE Montez Sweat while rebuilding their team. 

QB Josh Dobbs who's been playing for the Cards from week 1 isn't starter material over a rookie.  That's interesting.😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

1 hour ago, ProfD said:

I knew the Commanders may not have been able to keep both DEs Chase Young and Montez Sweat but d8mn...both gone. 

DE Chase Young got the best deal going to the 49ers.  Hopefully, da Bears will pay DE Montez Sweat while rebuilding their team. 

QB Josh Dobbs who's been playing for the Cards from week 1 isn't starter material over a rookie.  That's interesting.😎

Josh Dobbs was benched by the Cards after going 1-7 as a starter.  

I watched him against the Ravens and some of his playing in other games.  To me he does not look like the clearly superior QB choice over Jaren Hall.  I thought if they were going to trade for a veteran, that player would be Jacoby Brisett or Jameis Winston, not Dobbs.

Then again I am not the Vikings GM or HC.   Their opinion on whether he can be an interim starter counts more than mine.

The Niners D-line is going to be insane with both Young and Bosa wreaking havoc.

Bills acquire CB Rasul Douglas in trade with Packers

The Bills got a great deal with Rasul Douglas. He was a real playmaker for the Packers—great at jumping routes.

Small town Green Bay can’t afford too many veteran salaries, so they live and die by the draft. Now, they’ll have an extra 2024 third-round pick and another 2024 fifth-round pick.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

34 minutes ago, GovernorSilver said:

Josh Dobbs was benched by the Cards after going 1-7 as a starter.  

I watched him against the Ravens and some of his playing in other games.  To me he does not look like the clearly superior QB choice over Jaren Hall. Then again I am not the Vikings GM or HC. 

Fair enough.  I'm certainly not suggesting that QB Josh Dobbs is a better option. 

We just don't have tape on QB Jaren Hall yet.  We'll see how well he does and/or lasts before the Vikings have to go with a 2nd or 3rd option. 😎

• Like 1

PD

9 minutes ago, ProfD said:

Fair enough.  I'm certainly not suggesting that QB Josh Dobbs is a better option. 

We just don't have tape on QB Jaren Hall yet.  We'll see how well he does and/or lasts before the Vikings have to go with a 2nd or 3rd option. 😎

Usually in this unfortunate scenario of losing your starting QB, the team chooses between two priorities:

1.  Make the playoffs

2. Evaluate the young QB you already have, with making the playoffs a secondary priority.... if you're convinced this young QB has any promise for developing into a starter.

Trading for Brisett or Winston would have told me #1 is their clear priority, regardless what our individual opinions may be of either player.  Neither of these guys will make the HOF, but in a desperate situation like this, either can tide you over until you have a full offseason to address the QB position.  But I have no idea whether #1 or #2 is their priority with this Dobbs trade.

2 hours ago, GovernorSilver said:

Usually in this unfortunate scenario of losing your starting QB, the team chooses between two priorities:

1. Make the playoffs

2. Evaluate the young QB you already have, with making the playoffs a secondary priority.... if you're convinced this young QB has any promise for developing into a starter.

Trading for Brisett or Winston would have told me #1 is their clear priority...

But I have no idea whether #1 or #2 is their priority with this Dobbs trade.

Agreed. Limp through this season. Retool for next year.

QB Kirk Cousins is 35 years old with a contract expiring in March 2024. Time is ticking.

H8ll, the Lions already have NFC North sewed up. Unless Goddell and Draft Kings feel differently.🤣😎

PD

Kaep made a play for Jets practice squad after Rodgers after claiming he is still in shape.  

Why would Vikings not give him a shot?

a). No chance.   Not worth the time it would take for coaches to evaluate.

b)  It's a chance, but not worth the distraction if would bring to the team.

c). If he performed,  we wouldn't want the distraction even if he was great.

d) If he performed, we can't violate the league collusion pact.

e). other. __________

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

6 hours ago, GovernorSilver said:

Looks like Vikings plan to spend the rest of the season auditioning Jaren Hall.   Given the poor choices of QB on the trade market, they don't have much choice.  They traded for Dobbs from the Cardinals but he's obviously a depth acquisition, not starter material.  

I also disagree. Dobbs didn't go 1-7, the Cardinals did. Not saying he's great, but it's not like he was QBing a star-studded team. The only reason to start Hall is as you say, as an audition to see what he's got. 

SF is swinging for the fences this year with the Young move. I doubt they can afford to keep him, and the Commanders probably feel that between his injury history and upcoming huge contract, best to get something for him now, realizing that Howell is still learning the position and a SB isn't happening this year. Dumping him and Sweat was curious though.

The Lions' move was a good one. Got a decent WR for depth and it cost little. WR Williams is a head scratcher. 

Side note: can NFL.com please hire writers who actually have at least a HS diploma or GED? Every single week I see errors there that would make Forrest Gump cringe. Here's the latest example:   Meanwhile, the 49ers have made it clear they're aspirations remain of of the highest variety, never mind their recent skid.

That is a direct copy/paste. As a writer myself, I want to walk up and smack whoever hires (and keeps) these people. 

22 minutes ago, bill5 said:

I also disagree. Dobbs didn't go 1-7, the Cardinals did. Not saying he's great, but it's not like he was QBing a star-studded team. The only reason to start Hall is as you say, as an audition to see what he's got. 

SF is swinging for the fences this year with the Young move. I doubt they can afford to keep him, and the Commanders probably feel that between his injury history and upcoming huge contract, best to get something for him now, realizing that Howell is still learning the position and a SB isn't happening this year. Dumping him and Sweat was curious though.

The Lions' move was a good one. Got a decent WR for depth and it cost little. WR Williams is a head scratcher. 

I was confused by your last paragraph until I realized you're talking about both Peoples-Jones and Williams

Sweat is reportedly in the final year of his contract.  Commanders found an opportunity to get something for him and jumped on it.  As noted in the article in a previous post,  this may signal the start of a house cleaning.  Article mentions Josh Harris' history with the 76ers and Devils - the man has not been shy about making wholesale changes.

Upon further reflection, I don't actually know what the Vikings have in mind for Dobbs - not that I ever did anyway, lol.  But they did  announce that Hall will start the next game.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, GovernorSilver said:

Trading for Brisett or Winston would have told me #1 is their clear priority, regardless what our individual opinions may be of either player.

My understanding is that the Vikings tried to trade for Brisett but the Redskins (or whatever they're calling themselves this week) set the price at a 2nd round pick. I doubt anyone would give up a 2nd for Brisett.

Live: Yamaha S70XS (#1); Roland Jupiter-80; Mackie 1202VLZ4; IEMs or Traynor K4

Home: Hammond SK Pro 73; Moog Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue; Yamaha S70XS (#2); Wurlitzer 200A

18 hours ago, Geoff Grace said:

Bills acquire CB Rasul Douglas in trade with Packers

The Bills got a great deal with Rasul Douglas. He was a real playmaker for the Packers—great at jumping routes.

Small town Green Bay can’t afford too many veteran salaries, so they live and die by the draft. Now, they’ll have an extra 2024 third-round pick and another 2024 fifth-round pick.

Best,

Geoff

Problem is the Bills have a terrible schedule ahead of them and might not make the playoffs and I am a big fan but seeing other teams like Miami and even Detroit makes me worried. 

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

16 hours ago, Geoff Grace said:

…And GM Dave Ziegler.

I expect them to fare better under interim head coach Antonio Pierce.

Best,

Geoff

Agreed. This reminds me of when they fired the HC a few years back (forget who) and the interim coach led them to the playoffs and everyone in the world except the Raiders owner though he should have been made HC so he was not. How's that workin out for ya Davis? 

54 minutes ago, bill5 said:

Agreed. This reminds me of when they fired the HC a few years back (forget who) and the interim coach led them to the playoffs and everyone in the world except the Raiders owner though he should have been made HC so he was not. How's that workin out for ya Davis? 

Yep. Raiders should have given Rich Bisaccia the HC gig especially after he was able to stabilize the ship and make the playoffs after Gruden was fired.

Instead, Raiders owner Mark Davis went and plucked a failed HC from the Belicheck coaching tree.🤣

Some coaches are only good as coordinators or staff operatives. They may not have the personality or skils to manage the whole program. 

I'd imagine Josh McDaniels will land on his feet as a coordinator or coach somewhere else. After all, he had a few Super Bowl rings.😁😎

PD

I'm thinking that Belichek and Brady had way more to do with those rings than McDaniels. Well other than helping with the cheating that is. :)  

Anyway still can't believe WAS traded not one but two great DLs. Clearly a "this year isn't our year so let's prep up for next year" move. They did save loads of cash long term. Hopefully they can find another answer along the DL and use the money to bolster elsewhere (OL?), or even find a solid if not amazing DL free agent with that money saved.

14 minutes ago, bill5 said:

I'm thinking that Belichek and Brady had way more to do with those rings than McDaniels.

Anyway still can't believe WAS traded not one but two great DLs.

Hopefully they can find another answer along the DL and use the money to bolster elsewhere (OL?)...

McDaniels definitely benefitted from being part of a winning team with the Pats. He got an opportunity from the Broncos and failed in similarly spectacular fashion.

The Commanders already had an idea of what to expect in playing without DE Chase Young. DE Sweat filled the role. Both are gone nos.

This will be an opportunity for DC Jack Del Rio to better coach the defense. Otherwise, I think he should get fired in-season too.😎

PD

I'm a Cleveland fan, but another tough loveable loser Rust Belt city has me loving football again. How can any football fan with a soft spot for the underdog not love what is happening in Detroit? The coach, the fans, the vibe, the resurgence, the fire, all of it is great to witness. 

• Like 3

Roland RD-2000, Yamaha Motif XF7, Mojo 61, Invisible keyboard stand (!!!!!), 1939 Martin Handcraft Imperial trumpet

"Everyone knows rock music attained perfection in 1974. It is a scientific fact." -- Homer Simpson

I always like to see a team whose history isn't dotted with success finally have a year, like Texas did in baseball. Now if only we could have some different college teams win in football...it amazes me how year after year there are these teams that frequently make the top 20, but never win it all. 

The Lions started playing better last year.

That rookie RB Jahmyr Gibbs is going to be a very good as long as he stays healthy. 

I've already written that I believe the Lions will run away with the NFC North.

The Lions will be a problem to deal with in the playoffs too.

Great to see a perennial losing team on the rise to becoming a winner.😎

• Like 1

PD

2 hours ago, ProfD said:

I've already written that I believe the Lions will run away with the NFC North.

Every other team sucks, so that's not saying much. :)

I don't believe in Goff when push comes to shove and my fear is they will upset someone like the 49ers or Eagles in the playoffs and all but hand the SB to the Chiefs or Fins.

Looks like the Vikings won on the arm and legs of the recently acquired QB Josh Dobbs.

After trading away two (2) of their best defensive players, the Commanders went to Foxboro and came out with a win.😎

• Like 1

PD