Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL thread 2023-2024

Geoff Grace

10 hours ago, Dave Bryce said:

Wondering if Mr. Toney is going to get sent to the practice squad today…by Coach Going For It On 4th and 25 Deep In My Own Territory with ~2:00 On The Clock. 🙄

dB

Yeah offhand I'm not sure which call baffled me more: that play or the Lions going for it on 4th and 1 when they were in makable FG range and then running a stupid play (4th and 1, I know, let's go shotgun!) when a simple up the gut most likely would have gotten it, as they were having success running inside with the 1,2 combo of Montgomery (who is IMO underrated) and Gibbs. No worries though KC fans, it's just one game and of course they will be in the playoffs and a SB fav yet again.

21 hours ago, Geoff Grace said:

...One thread is no big deal. One extra thread per week per sport, however...

Best,

Geoff

Interesting how something can be altered to support an opinion.

More accurately stated, "One additional  thread per week, however..."

(strikethrough indicating details and characterizations that were not in the original idea).

The case has been closed. I am just making a different point.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, o0Ampy0o said:
23 hours ago, Geoff Grace said:

...One thread is no big deal. One extra thread per week per sport, however...

Best,

Geoff

Interesting how something can be altered to support an opinion.

More accurately stated, "One additional  thread per week, however..."

(strikethrough indicating details and characterizations that were not in the original idea).

The case has been closed. I am just making a different point.

Yeah I often get busted by a grammar Police at the Taco Bell drive through for ordering my tacos with extra cheese.  They say, “don’t you mean additional cheese’?

But in this case ‘extra’ fits perfectly because it isn’t like extra cheese.   This new thread is beyond what is necessary or expected. It’s extra.   It could have been shut down because it was just too much.  Like too much salt.  But Dave shut it down because precisely it was extraneous to the purpose of this forum.  That’s my interpretation. 

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

So the issue with the weekly NFL threads is they created additional posts.......which is being belabored via....additional posts. lol

No off-topic posts/threads are "necessary to the purpose of this forum." I don't think that's the issue. It is simply a judgment call, which is fine. Can we move on now? Piggybacking on the Taco Bell thing, it's so not worth more attention. The guys running the site don't want it, and that's enough for me. We are the world. :) 

1 hour ago, JazzPiano88 said:

Yeah I often get busted by a grammar Police at the Taco Bell drive through for ordering my tacos with extra cheese.  They say, “don’t you mean additional cheese’?

But in this case ‘extra’ fits perfectly because it isn’t like extra cheese.   This new thread is beyond what is necessary or expected. It’s extra.   It could have been shut down because it was just too much.  Like too much salt.  But Dave shut it down because precisely it was extraneous to the purpose of this forum.  That’s my interpretation. 

There is a difference swapping the words extra for additional. One connotes excess the other merely connotes quantity. Your taco analogy is playing a game with hyperbole.

This has nothing to do with the idea of the other NFL thread. End of discussion.

17 hours ago, o0Ampy0o said:
18 hours ago, JazzPiano88 said:

Expand  

There is a difference swapping the words extra for additional. One connotes excess the other merely connotes quantity. Your taco analogy is playing a game with hyperbole.

This has nothing to do with the idea of the other NFL thread. End of discussion.

No, 'additional' would be be as if Bill had annoyed the forum by introducing 5 new sports threads on WNBA, MLS, WWF, NHL, and UFC  Discussion Threads.  More of the same (e.g. NFL, CFB, MLB that is already allowed but pushing it).

A weekly NFL game thread is like adding ketchup to pizza that already exists in the Generic NFL thread.   Extra.  

Now you can end the discussion.  

--

Yamaha C7D

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

Back on topic, bad news for Rams fans:

Rams WR Cooper Kupp (hamstring) to start season on IR

That means he’ll miss at least four games. Not a good way to start a season. I knew this was a possibility, but I’m still disappointed.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Fumble recovery at the Commanders-Cardinals game and the Ravens-Texans game at exactly the same time.  😄

Anthony Richardson had a solid NFL debut.  His Colts are kind of in rebuilding mode, compared to the playoff caliber Jaguars, so the score was closer than peeps probably expected.

CJ Stroud looked ok but the Ravens D was just too good against the Texans' overmatched OL   Raven's new WR Flowers was impactful in his NFL debut.

Commanders begin the Eric Bienemy/Sam Howell era with a hard fought win over the Cards.

3 hours ago, GovernorSilver said:

Commanders begin the Eric Bienemy/Sam Howell era with a hard fought win over the Cards.

Yep. Commanders mistakes made that game closer. Fewer turnovers and the win would have been more decisive. Plenty football left to play. Hopefully they will work out the kinks.😎

• Like 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

General thoughts:

- If the Chiefs and Eagles end up in a rematch of the SB at the end of the year, I would not be surprised, but they sure didn't look it Week 1. Chiefs lost and Eagles nearly lost to the toothless Pats. Mac Jones did about all he could to win. 

- As GS said, Richardson appeared to do well in his first game, if stats are any indication (didn't see any of the game). To me the most important thing was his completion % was good. They can't rely on him running a lot; he has to be accurate throwing.

- The strip sack for a TD notwithstanding, Howell looked really good for WAS IMO. Very accurate and poised. His biggest problem is holding onto the ball too long. And they need their run game to get untracked. Credit the Cards for looking better than anyone expected with a rag-tag group, esp the D. The QB Dobbs wasn't bad and could end up a viable QB.

- The Love era in GB is off to a good start. He looked good overall IMO and has a promising young group of receivers. 

- Stroud look OKish. HIs biggest problem that I saw was he can't throw a long ball to save his life. Also they have zero run game. That said, the Ravens need Andrews back big time. Jackson looked eh and Beckham was invisible...and they lost their starting RB for the year again.

- Shocking loss by the Bengals, but from what I hear the weather was really bad, so they get a pass for now. 

- How about those Rams? And that was without Kupp. 

- Heartbreaking loss for the Chargers, but at least it looks like the O won't have problems putting up points (knock on wood).

Chargering again.  Had a lead late, could not hang on.  Whatever they did on defense to slow down the Dolphins last season, they forgot how to do it again, or the Dolphins figured something out.  At least their rushing attack looks much better.

Love looked so much better than I expected.  Pack might be back in the playoffs sooner than Geoff expects. :)

Burrow was coming off of surgery and was reportedly not his usual self.  Still, didn't expect that from them.

The Giants signed QB Daniel Jones ro a contract extension and brought in a few new weapons too. Yet, the G-Men offense looks just like it did last year.😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Jordan Love got off to a great start against the Bears today in a 38-20 win. In fact, the entire Packers team played well. Of course, Chicago isn’t exactly an elite NFL team; but Green Bay at least showed today that they’re not falling apart without Aaron Rodgers. That’s good enough for now.

I am concerned that Aaron Jones grabbed his hamstring after scoring a touchdown and was then out for the rest of the game. I hope it turns out to be a minor injury.

I'm glad the Rams fared so well today against the Seahawks, winning 30-13, especially since it was on the road and without Cooper Kupp. I now have more hope that they'll finish in second place, rather than in third.

The Broncos' narrow 17-16 loss to the Raiders was disappointing, but it's a new system. Perhaps they'll improve with time.

Best,

Geoff

Tonight, we have the season debut of former Packers Aaron Rodgers, Randall Cobb, and Allen Lazard as New York Jets. It’s going to be strange hearing their names in this context. It's not the same level of exodus that happened with George Allen and the "Ramskins," but I'm tempted to call this team the "Jetters" (not to be confused with the Jeters, which would be another New York team).

I hope it’ll be a good game. 

Best,

Geoff

I admit to scoffing at the Jets Superbowl prediction but after seeing how bad the Dolphins defense is and how middle of the road the Pats look, I may change my tune.

We'll see how they look against the Bills, who are a mystery to me.  They got spanked in their own house by the Bengals in the playoffs, but was it because their morale was affected by Hamlin?    

2 hours ago, Geoff Grace said:

Tonight, we have the season debut of former Packers Aaron Rodgers, Randall Cobb, and Allen Lazard as New York Jets. It’s going to be strange hearing their names in this context. It's not the same level of exodus that happened with George Allen and the "Ramskins," but I'm tempted to call this team the "Jetters" (not to be confused with the Jeters, which would be another New York team).

I hope it’ll be a good game. 

Best,

Geoff

Looking forward to it, although tuning in for the kickoff, Joe Buck's voice is making me vomit already. 

49ers seemed to be the success story of the weekend.   Purdy continues to look like an NFL veteran, and the Niners look Super Bowl bound (barring injuries -- of course a big assumption)

I'm hopeful that Denver continues to lose.   Sean Payton should have been banned for life for putting players' lives in jeopardy and is dead to many NFL fans.

--

Yamaha C7D

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

1 hour ago, GovernorSilver said:

was it because their morale was affected by Hamlin?      

Not even in the tiniest. And nothing against you at all, general comment, but honestly if I never hear that guy's name mentioned again I'll die happy. :)  The way the media gets a story and treats it like a dog with a rag in its mouth playing tug o war is so old. 

I have thought the Bills have been overrated throughout the Allen era. Hard to say if it's true again, but they'll need guys like Kincaid and Cook to step up in a big way, because Allen and Diggs can't do it all. And I still don't trust Allen's accuracy enough. And what about the OL? Nah, they aren't going far this year. The Jets? He may prove me wrong, but I think Rodgers is all but done. So I think the Fins take the divison (and hey give your Bolts some credit for a good offensive showing!). 

23 minutes ago, bill5 said:

Not even in the tiniest. And nothing against you at all, general comment, but honestly if I never hear that guy's name mentioned again I'll die happy. :)  The way the media gets a story and treats it like a dog with a rag in its mouth playing tug o war is so old. 

Just my idle theory about  how could they collapse like that at home vs. the Bengals in the playoff.   They looked to unmotivated and lifeless.

Maybe it had nothing to do with Hamlin at all and they're just badly coached.  We'll never know for sure.

50 minutes ago, JazzPiano88 said:

Sean Payton should have been banned for life for putting players' lives in jeopardy and is dead to many NFL fans.

I've repeatedly written in past NFL threads that Gregg Williams should have been banned for life. I hold him directly responsible for Bountygate. He's the football equivalent of a hit man, as far as I'm concerned. As Bountygate happened under Sean Payton's tenure as head coach, I hold him at least partly responsible too. How much was he aware of, or perhaps involved in, the hits put on opposing players?

There have been allegations that Payton tried to cover up the scheme, and that he failed to shut it down; but as far as I'm aware, those assertions were never proven. As a result, I'm not thrilled that he's the head coach of the Broncos; but I'm not outraged that he's a part of one of my favorite organizations the way I was when Williams was with the LA Rams. (Williams was a holdover from the St. Louis Rams, and he thankfully didn't last long in LA.)

Best,

Geoff