Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Do you ever google yourself, your bands, or band mates?

I never had until this week when I was sending an ex-band member a message about another member and wanted to make sure I spelled his name right. I put his name as I spelled it into Google, scanned the page and there it was. A statement that let me know I had found the person I was looking for. The page was for his latest band and the statement was about the band we were in. "Arguably Louisville's most popular band of the 80's." Then the memories came flooding back. I would love to hack his page and edit it to say "Arguably Louisville's most arrogant and least talented guitarist of the 80's." The band was good, but he was both leader and the weak link. I played half of the guitar solos on synth. The band was popular because of the female vocalist. When she left, I left and the band split. Hmmm, maybe I should just take it to heart and start telling people that I was in what was arguably Louisville's best band of the 80's. ... ... ... Nahhhh. That would just date me.

Anyway, I've never googled myself. ... I'm afraid of what I may find. Have you googled yourself?

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Before she passed away my wife spread our information everywhere in the process of searching for her biological mother. I have avoided social media but I show up tied to everyone in my family and her sister’s family. I am pretty sure all of the People data sites are SCAMs. If you join to acquire info they require your info. It is a ploy to get yours. I have read many instances where joiners never received what they signed on for or that the site didn’t have what they were lead to believe.

My friend refused to use the internet. He did everything in person or speaking over a phone.  He was in sales, a natural, philosophically approached everything in terms of what he knew about life through salesmanship. I lost track of him and saw a picture when he had worked at a company. Kept looking for more and somewhere saw date of death. His name is the same as a famous race car driver so there has been some dominating of names. He did not have an online presence. He was off the grid. No landline when they were common/typical he was using cells well before iPhones when they were very costly. I would like to know how he died. He was in early 50’s. Health conscientious, etc. I thought about ordering a death cert. I think non-certified is accessible. 

Sometimes an obituary is the only way.   A death certificate requires establishment to obtain a copy.  Establishment requires proof of being either spouse, children, legal parents, grandparents, grandchildren, siblings, or legal representative or guardian.

It’s why you never see cause of death in the news other than being released by family or a celebrity where someone knew of their illness (e.g. Jimmy Buffett). 

• Like 1

J  a  z  z  P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

I occasionally to ego-surfing to protect my privacy.  There are certain things I deem private and confidential to guard against fraud and spam.  If a data site has my cell phone number, I promptly fire off a request to remove it.  All of my important mail goes to my PO Box - the mailbox in front of my house is for junk mail only.  I have had mail stolen from the mailbox, the PO Box is very secure and the USPS will not retrieve mail from a PO Box without photo ID.  I also use the PO Box as my billing address which makes it harder for credit card thieves to close an online sale.  It is very easy to find my physical address but not the PO Box, so it is confidential in my book.  One of those data sites did have the PO Box so I promptly requested that info to be removed citing security and confidentiality.

17 hours ago, JazzPiano88 said:

Sometimes an obituary is the only way.   A death certificate requires establishment to obtain a copy.  Establishment requires proof of being either spouse, children, legal parents, grandparents, grandchildren, siblings, or legal representative or guardian.

It’s why you never see cause of death in the news other than being released by family or a celebrity where someone knew of their illness (e.g. Jimmy Buffett). 

This varies by state. He was born and grew up in Massachusetts. He lived in other states when I knew him. Apparently he returned and that is where he died. According to the Massachusetts government website:

"Death certificates are public record, so any member of the public can obtain a copy at the city or town clerk's office where the death occurred. Death certificates are created for all cases that our office examines."

I do not have all of the information required when requesting a certificate though.

I’ve had so many times in my old band where I barely had any info on the guy, just a first name and phone number, I would have loved to have been able to look up something just to get an idea of who they were before having them over my house where we practiced. They were all fine, but one day I realized it was weird to not know about these various people. 

Nowadays I can at least look up a little about the person or even the band I might be considering before spending any time even contacting them or learning their music. I’ve literally found YT videos of bands and after listening thought, “never mind!” and moved on. 

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

On 9/10/2023 at 8:38 AM, Joe Muscara said:

I would have loved to have been able to look up something just to get an idea of who they were before having them over my house where we practiced. 

Nowadays I can at least look up a little about the person or even the band I might be considering before spending any time even contacting them or learning their music. I’ve literally found YT videos of bands and after listening thought, “never mind!” and moved on. 

Being part of a musicians network insures that everyone is vetted to some degree.  That way, no random musician shows up for a rehearsal or gig. 😁

Similarly, when it comes to a gig(s), I don't play with any musicians or bands and know nothing about them.  One of the perks of being an old musician.  Selective.🤣😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

That's nice when it works that way.

I can think of lots of instances when it doesn't, like when you're starting out, or you're new in town, or the musician is new to town, or when you're looking for a specific skill and no one you know happens to play like that, or someone you've not heard of approaches you to join them, and probably others. I could just say no to all of these but I at least give them the benefit of the doubt and look them up before deciding. Svengling isn't just to look up manuals and instructions.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I have a relatively common name so for better or worse it won't be too easy to know its me.

I no longer post on social media except for a couple user groups and marketplace, so hopefully it might be hard to find my posts.  This is something I have considered as someone who has (off and on) been job hunting for the last few years.   Should companies take your personal views and blatherings into account when hiring?  Probably not.  Do they?  Yes.   Hell, I might be judged for what I post here and this is quite the tame forum when it comes to "bad" stuff :) 

If I was looking for a musician, you can bet I'd try to find them not only to see and hear skills, but to see the cut of their jib so to speak.   Even though in a band I keep to a strict "no politics and religion" conversation policy, and a band that wanted to rant and rave on those subjects would soon be without me.  I feel it's a huge reason why my band has been together for 12 years despite quite a range in viewpoints.  We simply stick to what we have in common, music :)   I figure if I can find someone who spouts disagreeable stuff online they'll probably spout stuff in the band.  Not that I'm in a position to hire musicians, you have to be nuts to try to run a band :D 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Joe Muscara said:

That's nice when it works that way.

I can think of lots of instances when it doesn't, like when you're starting out, or you're new in town, or the musician is new to town, or when you're looking for a specific skill and no one you know happens to play like that, or someone you've not heard of approaches you to join them, and probably others. I could just say no to all of these but I at least give them the benefit of the doubt and look them up before deciding. Svengling isn't just to look up manuals and instructions.

Sure.  Modern technology has changed the game to some degree.  Using it to find and vet other folks will become commonplace.

I've heard that folks have found success in online dating so maybe it also works for putting a band together too. 🤣

I'm just an old man who prefers to do everything the old school way which includes meeting people. 

So, I believe the best way for musicians to find kindred spirits is 1) attending jam sessions and 2) tapping into the local musicians network.

Word travels really fast when a musician is highly competent.  Even if they are new to town. 

Hearing and playing with other musicians is similar to the FTEC (finger-to-ear connection) that comes with playing an instrument. 

Within a jam session or song(s), musicians know whether or not there is a chemistry or vibe that would make them want to play together.

Of course, it's easy enough to round up musicians in a neutral space other than one's home to jam and/or rehearse.

IMO, technology is making people more isolated and compartmentalized and ultimately....less organic.😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I'm still trying to find a band mate from the early 80's -- but no luck so far... I once wrote this for him when he was getting high...

..."With a young man's eyes you search the skies for something to believe in,

...And they all thought 'you're crazy' when you said you'd soon be leavin'.

...Yes, they all laughed at your space craft on the morning of your flight.

...But look who's laughing now -- as you disappear from sight."

Who know, maybe he did fall off the face of the earth...

On 9/8/2023 at 4:49 AM, o0Ampy0o said:

I am pretty sure all of the People data sites are SCAMs. If you join to acquire info they require your info. It is a ploy to get yours. I have read many instances where joiners never received what they signed on for or that the site didn’t have what they were lead to believe.

Amen. I believe they are guilty of "Bait & Switch" -- what they promise, is not what they deliver.

My niece once convinced the whole family (me & 2 brothers, the wives, and all the kids) to do one of those $75 Services -- but then you had to PAY MORE to get regular updates or to stay in the system.  And of course, they want YOU to add more info into their system.

What did I get for my $75???

I found out I was related to my 2 brothers, but with a 95% probability...  Huh, I'll bet my parents would have said it was 100%.

Old No7

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs