Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

88 Key MIDI Controllers?

Does anybody have any good recommendations for good 88 key midi controllers? Would rather it be weighted also. I have the Kontrol s61 right now but would like an 88 of something, I’ve been coming to see I really like software recently. I have my eyes on the Arturia Keylab MK2 weighted but am not sure since they just came out with the Essential Mk3 if an updated weighted will be coming as well. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you! Currently using my Yamaha 515 to play a lot of software but I would like something with some sliders and knobs on it!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like my Launchkey 88. Great value for a controller with 9 drawbar sliders and a decent keyboard that works for piano and organ. Its my emergency keyboard on gigs. It is bis powered and connects directly to your iPad. One negative is that it does not have an expression pedal port, but I use a Boss expression pedal with it. 

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Roland RD-88

Yamaha CK88

Using:

Yamaha: Montage M8x| Spectrasonics: Omnisphere, Keyscape | uhe: Diva, Hive2, Zebra2| Roland: Cloud Pro | Arturia: V Collection

NI: Komplete 14 | VPS: Avenger | Cherry: GX80 | G-Force: OB-E | Korg: Triton, MS-20

Sold/Traded:

Yamaha: Motif XS8, Motif ES8, Motif8, KX-88, TX7 | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe| Roland: RD-2000, D50, MKS-20| Korg: Kronos 88, T3, MS-20

Oberheim: OB8, OBXa, Modular 8 Voice | Rhodes: Dyno-My-Piano| Crumar: T2

Of the gear I have the one I love the most and end up playing the most is my StudioLogic SL88 Grand midi controller.   It's a wood key weighted, graded controller, and aftertouch.   Now if you go to check one out be aware they make two SL88  and the sl88 Grand, the Grand has the wood keys and it's twice as much.   

23 minutes ago, HammondDave said:

I like my Launchkey 88. Great value for a controller with 9 drawbar sliders and a decent keyboard that works for piano and organ. Its my emergency keyboard on gigs. It is bis powered and connects directly to your iPad. One negative is that it does not have an expression pedal port, but I use a Boss expression pedal with it. 

Is it weighted or semi weighted?

7 minutes ago, Docbop said:

Of the gear I have the one I love the most and end up playing the most is my StudioLogic SL88 Grand midi controller.   It's a wood key weighted, graded controller, and aftertouch.   Now if you go to check one out be aware they make two SL88  and the sl88 Grand, the Grand has the wood keys and it's twice as much.   

What do you use for knobs and sliders then as they don’t have any?

37 minutes ago, ART. said:
45 minutes ago, Docbop said:

I don't need them and if I did there is a lot of accessories or small mini controller I could put on the SL (they make an optional laptop platform.) 

40 minutes ago, Docbop said:

I don't need them and if I did there is a lot of accessories or small mini controller I could put on the SL (they make an optional laptop platform.) 

Good to know I’ll look into this thank you 

52 minutes ago, stoken6 said:

Weight and budget limitations?

Cheers, Mike.

Probably 1,000 or under. 

18 hours ago, ART. said:

Probably 1,000 or under. 

I like the Casio PX5S as a controller. Light, decent action (my opinion), six sliders and four knobs. No expression pedal or aftertouch though.

I would steer away from controllers with Fatar's TP100 action, but that's a subjective thing. Actions starting "TP4" are much better, but much heavier.

Cheers, Mike.

All-in-one weighted keyboards with plenty of controls, for under $1000 USD would include:

KeyLab 88 MkII

M-Audio Hammer 88 Pro

I can't comment on the M-Audio as I haven't played one, but as far as the KeyLab, the controls and build quality are superb, but the action is horrible.

The other way to go would probably be a weighted DP with USB-out (if you use pitch and mod wheels, your selection may be a bit limited in terms of your budget), with something like a Behringer X-touch or Korg NanoKontrol for your control surface.

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

Not if you're using a computer.  You'll just need to set up the keyboard and the NanoKontrol inside whatever DAW you plan on using.

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

On 8/25/2023 at 12:21 PM, ART. said:

Is it weighted or semi weighted?

The Launchkey has many knobs, sliders, and pads. Its a semi-weighted keyboard. 

image.thumb.png.44a791d75a921d3fc03bfb8bc302395a.png

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

15 hours ago, bill5 said:

Does it have to be a MIDI controller? Just thinking for $1000ish give or take you could look at workstations, which really opens up possibilities

Nope doesn’t have to be a controller! Wouldn’t mind a workstation, and I think my budget could stretch a little as well, I would spend around 2K. I’d like to have something to control software but would also work great either as itself or as a hardware backup for if computer/software fails. Stretch my budget…. Every musicians famous words 😂😂😂

2 hours ago, ART. said:

Nope doesn’t have to be a controller! Wouldn’t mind a workstation, and I think my budget could stretch a little as well, I would spend around 2K. I’d like to have something to control software but would also work great either as itself or as a hardware backup for if computer/software fails. 😂

Kurzweil PC4, currently on sale at your $2k mark. Good sounding workstation with aftertouch and tons of MIDI flexibility.

• Like 2

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

4 hours ago, ART. said:

Nope doesn’t have to be a controller! Wouldn’t mind a workstation, and I think my budget could stretch a little as well, I would spend around 2K. I’d like to have something to control software but would also work great either as itself or as a hardware backup for if computer/software fails. Stretch my budget…. Every musicians famous words 😂😂😂

Then I suggest checking this out:  https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/JunoDS88--roland-juno-ds88-88-key-synthesizer

Nice sounds, nice feel IMO. It has a few knobs and faders too, but not sure how assignable they are. I was set to buy it before I realized I didn't need the onboard stuff and could spend way less on a controller. Also I wasn't as into the fully weighted feel.

I agree that it would be much better to minimize length first, then the depth, and the height last.  Roland seems to have taken the opposite approach in this case. It also seems less ergonomic to have the controls all on the left side rather than above the keyboard where it would be much easier to reach them with either hand.  It does look kind of cool though :) I'm not sure it explains the weight difference.  I can only guess that the A-88 must have some kind of extra strong and rigid chassis in order to make it more roadworthy than the FP-10, FP-30x, or even the RD-88.

I don't see the value of the A-88 as a mere controller when the RD-88 is similar priced but a full stage piano with a full library of 4000 sounds plus Zen-core integration with Zenology Pro. The A-88 has a huge premium on price against it's competition. If Nord did MIDI controllers, this would be it. 

20 minutes ago, Ibarch said:

I don't see the value of the A-88 as a mere controller when the RD-88 is similar priced but a full stage piano

I'm not that familiar with the boards, but it is possible that the A88 may do some things that the RD88 can't, in which case it would depend what you need. A quick look at the A88 feature list shows some areas where the RD88 may lag:

Eight RGB-lit assignable knobs, eight RGB-lit pads, and three pedal inputs

Three customizable zones, onboard arpeggiator, and chord memory

USB-C connectivity and bus power

OTOH, in terms of MIDI controller capability, the RD88 specifically touts Mainstage integration, so it could have an edge for someone even as a controller.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

While I never had the opportunity to lay my hands on one, I was always impressed at how all those guys played their asses off on the previous model (A88 MK1?) in all those Keyscape demos some years back. Crisp, clean and nuanced playing, it had me as interested in the controller as I was in the software. If it had  the knobs and buttons the new one has I would have chased one down.

Yamaha P515 & CK88, Pianoteq, Mainstage, iOS, assorted other stuff.

I really like my RD88.

Except for seeing how it worked, I have NEVER used the native Mainstage integration when I use Mainstage live.

The RD88 MIDI din is OUT only.

The sounds, as well as sounds available for the RD88 are great.

When I use my computer rig, I never use on board sounds.  Mostly Keyscape/Omnisphere and Arturia

The A88 MK2, has MIDI din in and out, and USB C

With the software you can setup some really cool things...

Here's one example

spacer.png

I've even used it under my MODX6+ for the pianos.   Played perfectly.

I also learned that you can power it from the MODX6+ usb if you don't have you power supply.  That was a fun few minutes of panic  :)

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu: