Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Keys caught in rainstorm

Analogaddict

I’m on tour right now and we had a bit of a situation. Lightning struck the stage as the stagehands were rigging backline, they had to evacuate the stage and my boards were left in the rain. One tech got shocked and had to go to hospital, but no serious injuries since the stage was grounded. My Montage and Jupiter-80 were caught in the rain since nobody could take them down and I really need them up and running by tomorrow night. Right now, the Montage is leaning against the heated towel rack in my hotel room. Any tips on other methods to dry them out? There’s no hair dryer here and I don’t have any tools. 🤦‍♂️

image.jpg

• Like 1

I'd ask at the front desk about a hair dryer. Surely they have guests who don't bring their own. (Or take an Uber to a discount store.) I'd also turn on the heat in the room and put the boards near the moving air.  It may be uncomfortable for you but there's a good chance the boards will be dry well before show time.  Do not plug them or attempt to turn them on until the absolute last minute. You may also want to see if there's a backline company anywhere near your next venue just in case.  

When touring across Canada in the middle of winter the gear spent the night in a freezing cold trailer.  During load-in my keyboard cases would be opened and left there for the condensation to dry, maybe 6-7 hours before sound check.  I never had trouble. Hopefully you won't either.  

• Like 1

Didn't the people running things know there was a good chance of rain so  be prepared.   No one had a rolls of plastic sheeting and could run out and cover your keyboards?   If your Montage was actually rained on, I'd be looking to borrow or rent one for the next gig until the Montage can be opened up and checked. 

When I did the Yes tour on an outdoor gig we knew of the possibility of rain so we got lots of plastic sheeting and razor blades and gaffers tape to cover things with.   The predictions for rain got worse so we drug our feet unloading and it did start pouring and the show was canceled.    But we came back to that city a week later when storms were supposed to be over.  This time the promoter did have the whole top of the stage covered.    It looked like it could be a clear day so we set up and put sheeting over the PA and etc.   But as show time came it started to sprinkle.  Yes's management decided to go ahead with the show.    So all those roll of plastic sheeting were put to use, even then the wind changed directions a couple time and rain was blowing in on the stage.   We cut the show short and audience was fine with it, because they had been getting drenched sitting in the rain the whole time.   

• Like 1

We got rained on Tuesday night at the botanical garden. Covered but lots of dripping water and the drummer was close enough to the edge that he had runoff down his back and got pretty soaked. No one got shocked and everyone's gear survived. I was pretty nervous, though. I just figured the hired in sound company had more exposure (literally and economically as the PA wasn't under cover) and so we soldiered on.

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

30 minutes ago, ElmerJFudd said:

Crap 

That silicon needs time to dry out before trying to switch on. 

Yeah, that’s what I figure too. Perhaps I should let it rest until next Thursday and do the gigs this week with the spares the backline company provided, including a MODX6+. If I can figure out a way to convert my X7A file to an X7L, that is…  

6 hours ago, Analogaddict said:

Yeah, that’s what I figure too. Perhaps I should let it rest until next Thursday and do the gigs this week with the spares the backline company provided, including a MODX6+. If I can figure out a way to convert my X7A file to an X7L, that is…  

Not sure what that is, but MODX reads Montage data 1:1

The other way around, not so much...

• Like 1

local: Korg Nautilus 61 AT | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer | 16" MBP M1 Max

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

7 hours ago, Analogaddict said:

I can tell you for sure that when you save the data as a USER file, that file is transferable both ways. I have a MONTAGE 6 and a MODX6+ and do it all time, as I use the MONTAGE mostly for gigs and MODX6+ for rehearsals. So, besides of the keybed difference (and you lose aftertouch), I can play any of them with same sounds seamlessly. Remember you need also to copy any library you may use.

About electronics and rain water... I work fixing electronics daily and it is a tricky thing when water gets it (other liquids are far worse usually). Of course it depends on amount and dirt washed out by it. Because, in theory, rain water has few minerals on it, which is good. But, when water dissolves dirt, it ads some unknowns. Your best bet is to have it looked at ASAP and don't power it up, if that is feasible.

Jose

• Like 1

It happened to me a couple of times. No permanent damage to the instruments, but in one occasion my Wavestation lost all its internal sounds, and I had to reprogram the whole set while my bandmates were having dinner nearby...

2 hours ago, KRK said:

Northern Italy, last week...

Ulp. Where was that?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Analogaddict said:

I managed to get the Montage up and running again! It spent the night like this, leaning against a towel dryer… 😂 The video is from when the rain and hail started… it got much worse. 

71D84EB9-4326-4035-9A4F-160A1F2C512B.jpeg

IMG_2233.mov

Sagor i barnradion????

"This is my rig, and if you don´t like it....well, I have others!"

"Think positive...there's always something to complain about!"

I had my Modx7 rained on pretty badly.  It developed an issue a couple weeks later, not entirely sure it's related but it could be.   The right side output, both the line out AND the headphone out, is barely working.  So it's not the jack.

I'm certainly not on tour but we had a "perfect storm" (pun intended) of bad decisions.  Playing an outdoor stage, in Florida, and they were in the process of replacing the roof--so no roof.  Because of this process, the normal outdoor bins we'd use to store our stuff were gone, and the resort doesn't like "stuff" on stage, so I left my tarp and towel bag (my normal outdoor kit) in my car which was a 5 minute fast walk away.  Kept an eye on the weather, the late afternoon/early evening danger zone passed and my phone app (Weatherbug) continued to say 0% chance.  At 11:00, out of absolutely nowhere (no thunder, no wind) and out of a dark sky so we couldn't see it coming, a cloud not even showing on radar dumped *heavy* rain right on us.  It's quite unusual to get night-time rain like that, and it was over in five minutes.  It reminded me of the directed rain on Truman in  The Truman Show, I felt like asking who was out to get us from on high?   I ran to the car to get my kit and did the best I could but the keyboard was pretty wet.

From that time, my kit does *not* leave my side if I'm outdoors.   And instead of a tarp that has to be bungied down if there is wind (and in FL there's usually wind and sideways rain) I got a grill cover.  These work great as keyboard covers!

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Stokely said:

And instead of a tarp that has to be bungied down if there is wind (and in FL there's usually wind and sideways rain) I got a grill cover.  These work great as keyboard covers!

The grill cover is a really great idea! 

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

I can't take credit for it...I think someone here, or maybe another forum, gave me the idea.  Just get one the right width and it slips right over.  No tie-downs needed although mine comes with a velcro "belt" that can reduce the wind flappage.  

Ouch, this thread is painful to read! I hope the original boards are getting back in shape!

I played an outdoor gig last weekend that had a sudden thunderstorm with heavy rain. We had SOME cover by a clubhouse, but everything get a bit wet. Luckily no direct hits to my keyboard, though it was damp and all of my cases, rack, etc. got pretty wet.

What I've done in the past is leave any wet equipment in a closed vehicle baking in the sun. That is a quick way to dry things up. And then inside with dehumidifiers, as needed. I'm now rethinking my strategy for keyboard covers and such on the gig.

Best of luck getting back in business on the tour!

I did play a couple of outdoor events and private parties.  never had a problem but came close.  I would never do an outdoor gig with the money that the job pays today.  It would have to be somewhere in the 12 hundred dollar range for me to even consider.

7 hours ago, rickzjamm said:

What I hate is when its obvious it's about to rain & the band leader calls another song, and all he brought was an acoustic guitar. 

I had a BL do this when we were playing on a stage without any cover. Rain was imminent, and when a fine mist started to approach a light drizzle, I immediately powered down, wiped down the boards, and placed them in their cases. IIRC, I don’t think I even finished the song we were playing at the time. F that.

Glad to hear you were able to revive the Montage, Analogaddict, I hope your Jupiter fares the same outcome.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

The Gator G-PG-61 case I use for my Montage 6 includes a large outside pocket and, inside it, some smaller pockets. I discovered, not long ago, that one of them has a rain cover on it, which is really for covering the case, but may work as a rain cover for the keyboard. Kudos to Gator for that 👍🏻

One thing to think about for future gigs is have a PDU of some kind that all your boards are plugged into.    So if rain or similar starts you only have to flip one switch to kill power to all your keyboards.   Then start covering them up. 

That Yes show I mentioned we had one poor soul in a rubber suit and gloves who was at the main power pole behind the stage so if things when real bad he could throw the switch on the mains.    Then on stage I was assigned right side of stage power feed and another person left side stage power so if rain start coming in from wind or other way we had to cut the power to our side of the stage.   We could do this because we knew the chance of rain was high so planned things out.    I still remember back in the 60's and Rock was growing fast.   I think it was the Rolling Stones play the Hollywood Bowl which at the time had a small pool around the front edge of the stage about 3 feet wide and deep.    During the show idiots climbed into the pool to get closer to the stage and then started splashing around.   They splashed water on the stage.   At one point it might of been Keith Richards was standing in some water went to sing and his mouth touched the microphone and boom a shock big enough to knock him on his ass.    The 60's gear with two prong plugs, grounding wasn't the science it is now.   Years later when Yes played the Hollywood Bowl I remember the shock incident and noticed they drained the pool for rock and other concerts.  

On 8/5/2023 at 9:18 PM, marino said:

It happened to me a couple of times. No permanent damage to the instruments, but in one occasion my Wavestation lost all its internal sounds, and I had to reprogram the whole set while my bandmates were having dinner nearby...

Ulp. Where was that?

Lissone (Monza - Brianza)

we were REALLY lucky: just a couple of km away the scenario was more devastating (crowd trees, broken roofs, etc.) 🙁

50 minutes ago, Docbop said:

One thing to think about for future gigs is have a PDU of some kind that all your boards are plugged into.    So if rain or similar starts you only have to flip one switch to kill power to all your keyboards.   Then start covering them up. 

This issue is actually one reason I have gone to a single keyboard (with a backup in the car).  Living in FL and doing as many outdoor or "semi-outdoor" gigs as I do, I just don't want to bring a lot of stuff.  Even the loading and unloading I want to keep minimal.  Weather isn't the only reason, but it's one.  And the more gigs I've done like this, the more I like it despite the limitations you face with one keyboard.  Even these I can minimize with good patch programming and organization.