Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Has your GAS ever gone for good? (😙)

23 hours ago, Bobadohshe said:

I almost have anti gas. I am so busy USING the tools that I have as a gigging musician that the idea of incorporating anything new sounds like a huge hassle I don't have time for. Everything I own gets the job done.

This is a good point.  I'm more likely to get GAS with a new bass guitar, because I already know how to use it.  :).  A new keyboard, though, can come with a steep learning curve.  I still barely know how to use my RD-2000 ...

Not with Hammond's or Leslie Speakers.  Part of it is the thrill of the chase and finding them in unlikely spots.  Even the stories about them get me going.  I think  were kind of at a point with pianos and clonewheels that we are splitting hairs in terms of how good they sound.  Back in 2000 it was different but in 20 years they have improved a lot.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

I have reached multitudes of sounds using editing based on studio sub-signals which normally I think nobody reaches, which start to contain enough sound interest, purity, and hopefully at some point soon an absence of audio material that should have never existed. Playing inside sounding instrument (parts) prepared for proper DA conversion can easily be enough not to lust for newer, especially when "newer" doesn't contain any special sauce, consists of relatively lame instrument idea continuations and isn't musically challenging.

If I'd play a good grand, I'd be happy without more gas for a while, but I suppose progress is a factor as well, so many sounds haven't been discovered !

T

Another thing you can do to combat GAS is have an overall plan … Have a musical mission and understand what you need and what the weak links are in your current system. If a purchase isn’t part of the plan, then it doesn’t get purchased. Otherwise (in the extreme) you can wind up with a random collection of gear that doesn’t fit together and doesn’t accomplish any goals.

Often times the next thing you need isn’t going to be all that sexy … It might be a patchbay, a mixer, or a set of speakers. But you need those things to complete most musical missions. 

About the only time I deviate from my GAS-free philosophy is when I find a deal with huge asymmetry (a.k.a. bang for the buck)… When a regularly priced $350 reverb plugin goes on sale for $99, that’s hard to pass up. When a manufacturer designs a well-rounded instrument for tremendous value (the Sequential Prophet Rev2 comes to mind), that’s hard to ignore. But the days of me longing for another $3,500 ROMpler or $6,000 analog reissue are pretty much gone.

Todd

• Like 3

Sundown

Just finished: The Jupiter Bluff

Working on: Driven Away, Gateway, Eighties Crime Thriller

Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361

DAW Platform: Cubase

For me, since music is currently a hobby (albeit a truly necessary thing for happiness), the only plan is removing friction from whatever process I’m currently engaged in.

I like to address recurring negatives in whatever I’m using (lackluster keyboard action, irritating sample artifacts, cumbersome user interfaces, etc.) and adjust with relatively small gear and setup changes.

This has tamed the GAS beast a good bit. Were I so enlightened when I was younger…

Anyway, the thing I want most - a dedicated playing/writing space - will set me back a bit more than a Nord Stage!

I make software noises.

I need GDS more than GAS - Gear Disposition Syndrome.

In other words, I have some stuff I'm not using and should sell but every time I think of it, it just makes me tired.   Little stuff that can be easily shipped is not as much of a big deal, but keyboard selling sucks.   Some people like it I guess, I'm not one of them.

6 minutes ago, Stokely said:

In other words, I have some stuff I'm not using and should sell but every time I think of it, it just makes me tired.   Little stuff that can be easily shipped is not as much of a big deal, but keyboard selling sucks.   Some people like it I guess, I'm not one of them.

This is something to keep in mind whenever GAS flares up.😁😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

mine is almost there,  all I want for xmas is two replace my piano.... and I'm just about done....the feeling has been around for a while now...who knows though ... I don't put piano in the same catagory as the rest of my upset stomach.... for some reason! , piano is more like personal business.. been feeling alittle bit underwhelmed by the idea of axes in general and now just post notes and small transcriptions on my FB page..... I guess I'm going through a thing you might say about hardware in general ..... 'noteland' instead of 'nutland' ... this may fade! Don't know!   Not just hardware either ... non musical related stuff to ... cars, blenders, .... gadgets, phones anything that buzzes, chimes or rings that effects me like pavlov's keyboardist or driver, encoders, ...plastic.  Tired of mfg goods ....I want wood or dirt!  I want to play only plant based instruments from now on or something  like that and drive a bamboo car and go on a vacation and have some mushrooms  ... that's my GAS now baby!      😆           

• Like 1

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

6 hours ago, Stokely said:

I have some stuff I'm not using and should sell but every time I think of it, it just makes me tired.   Little stuff that can be easily shipped is not as much of a big deal, but keyboard selling sucks.   Some people like it I guess, I'm not one of them.

I learned my lesson some time ago. Whatever board you buy - keep the box. That way at least you can ship it to the next owner with the same level of protection it had when it arrived to you.

Cheers, Mike.