Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Does anyone make a keyboard shelf?

I did!

Ok, well, "make" might be a strong word.  I took a plank, painted it black.  This just sat on the arms and under my top keyboard at the time, which held it down.  The result was a shelf sticking out on the side of the keyboard where I could put my mixer.

My top keyboard was pretty heavy so it held it down very well--for lighter smaller gear you'd want some way to attach the board to the arms, possibly just velcro if they were flat arms (some velcro is very strong).  

Problem--as a loose extra bit that didn't fit in my gear case, I tended to leave it home :)  These days I have my mixer and headphone amps on a pedalboard, which does fit.   Same with mic booms, if I rely on mic stands I'll end up forgetting them, so I make sure any keyboard stand has a boom adapter.

5 hours ago, Stokely said:

I did!

Ok, well, "make" might be a strong word.  I took a plank, painted it black.  This just sat on the arms and under my top keyboard at the time, which held it down.  The result was a shelf sticking out on the side of the keyboard where I could put my mixer.

My top keyboard was pretty heavy so it held it down very well--for lighter smaller gear you'd want some way to attach the board to the arms, possibly just velcro if they were flat arms (some velcro is very strong).  

Problem--as a loose extra bit that didn't fit in my gear case, I tended to leave it home :)  These days I have my mixer and headphone amps on a pedalboard, which does fit.   Same with mic booms, if I rely on mic stands I'll end up forgetting them, so I make sure any keyboard stand has a boom adapter.

I've done the same thing. 1/8" piece of wood painted black with rubberized rustoleum to reduce sliding. Then I attached a piece of carpet at the end to act as a velcro pad for ipad interface hubs ect. 

I use with a bench type stand not an X type. The thin wood is a bit too flimsy for an X or Z type but I will make another stronger one if needed.

I've done a couple smaller ones and attached carpet across the length to put a mixer, multi effect, and drawbar box and sized it to fit in a Roadrunner pedalboard sized canvas bag.

The advantage to making rather than buying is I can make one up for $25 in materials and it takes as long to make as it takes paint to dry. And I can change or modify it for other pieces of gear whenever I need to.

They are slightly less than store bought pro in appearance but they are black and from a distance don't too home made. In truth I don't really care, I ain't pretending to be Mr Pro dude.

And no, I haven't seen anything by On-Stage Stands or anybody else for sale.

FunMachine.

41 minutes ago, RABid said:

Well, I would have to buy a saw, a couple of saw horses, and maybe a pickup to haul a 4x8 sheet of plywood. :)

LOWES will cut your wood free. Like 3 cuts free then 10 bucks for a few more cuts. If you go to the project wood aisles they have a number of nice shelves and squares pre-cut. Then you cut those to size.

Then you go to the spray paint aisle. ect ect...

FunMachine.

Like I said, I used a plank so no cuts needed.  There are wider assembled pieces glued together too.  I'm with you though, I'm as handy as a foot and whatever tools I might have (including a hand miter box and saw) are somewhere buried in the garage.  My wife is a property manager which means our garage is a nightmare of extra bits for houses.  Why not get a storage unit you say?  My point exactly!

Michael Wright's Piece-o-wood has the advanced upgrades with the wood strips underneath to keep the thing from sliding and probably from tipping off,  AND a lip on top. nice idea there.

56 minutes ago, Baldwin Funster said:

LOWES will cut your wood free. Like 3 cuts free then 10 bucks for a few more cuts. If you go to the project wood aisles they have a number of nice shelves and squares pre-cut. Then you cut those to size.

Did not know that. I will check it out.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

On 6/23/2023 at 3:52 PM, Stokely said:

I did!

Ok, well, "make" might be a strong word.  I took a plank, painted it black. 

Exactly what I do. You can cut it to size, add a lip to avoid keyboards sliding, etc, and have the perfect customized stand for a few bucks.

If you want something commercial, you should probably look at the Blackpanther Systems' Freijo table or something like that 

I’ve found that the shelf liners like what you use in your kitchen cabinets make for a good “grippy” surface for the board as well - they are sold at Lowe’s, Home Depot, etc by the roll I think.

Kurzweil Forte,Roland Fantom 6,Hydrasynth,Numa C2X, SpaceStation V.3, other stuffs

19 hours ago, Baldwin Funster said:

careful, mine won’t do that anymore at all, not even if you pay them. They told me they won’t do “project cuts”. They will only do cuts if the lumber is large and you to cut it for transport. New company policy. MIGHT have been HomeDepot but I’m pretty sure it was Lowe’s. But it might vary from store to store.

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

On 6/24/2023 at 5:40 PM, JimboKeys said:

You can also get ready-to-go Rubbermaid wooden shelves in black in 2ft, 3ft or 4ft lengths from Lowe's.  No cutting (or painting !) needed if that size works for you.

I have used this solution too! They come in black and are ready to go. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Papa.J said:

I found these a few months back when I was looking for just such a thing. The Black Panther System ones are a bit pricey though:

These look like the best way to go.

Here for the gear.

On 6/26/2023 at 9:32 AM, Franz Schiller said:

I have used this solution too! They come in black and are ready to go. 

I have done this as well.   Picked up a couple of black pre-painted & pre-cut shelves from

Home Depot.  They looked great!

----------------------------------------------------------

Gig: Yamaha MODX7, NumaX 73 Piano  Studio: Kawai ES-920; Hammond SK Pro 73; Yamaha Motif ES7 w/DX,VL,VH; Yamaha YC 73; Kawai MP-6; Numa Compact 2x