Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New GSI piano for iPad et al.

Here’s what the CFX sounds like. 

https://www.genuinesoundware.com/products/gemini/demo/VeniceGrandCFX/CFX_Jumping.mp3

Any acoustic piano on iOS is going to have to compete with Pianoteq.  Ok, 4 sampled instruments for $11.99.  But would you opt for any of  them solo or with band?  Being able to demo would help. 

The other audio demos are at the bottom of this page.  
https://www.genuinesoundware.com/?a=showproduct&b=65

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

7 minutes ago, ElmerJFudd said:

Ok, 4 sampled instruments for $11.99.  But would you opt for them solo or with band?  🤷‍♂️ 

I thought I read you can only have one piano in your phone or tablet and you pick the one you want to download after you pay? Can you swap pianos whenever you want? The demos sound pretty good, of course # of velocity layers will affect how it feels to play.

35 minutes ago, Reezekeys said:

I thought I read you can only have one piano in your phone or tablet and you pick the one you want to download after you pay? Can you swap pianos whenever you want? The demos sound pretty good, of course # of velocity layers will affect how it feels to play.

I read that and assumed they meant at a time?  🤷‍♂️  How could we know which to pick without trying the 4? 

16 minutes ago, ElmerJFudd said:

I read that and assumed they meant at a time?  🤷‍♂️  How could we know which to pick without trying the 4? 

That's how I read it as well, you have access to all 4 but only one at a time: you'd need to swap out downloads to switch piano models, like changing CDs in a car stereo but hopefully with less Coke spills from accidentally knocking over the can in your drink holder.

I think this is for someone who wants the grands of Genuine Sound Vol1, without all the other stuff (upright, electric grand, rhodes, wurli, clav, etc.)... and maybe fewer variations on those grands as well.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

The Cfx, the steinway and the c5 have 16 velocity layers, and no looped samples, so the decay is natural. The same of genuine sound module vol 1 app. You can use one sample at a time. I think that if you download one sample it overwrite the previous one. You’ll also have the future piano sample release included. For 12€…

I already buy it, I’ll see if it is better then Ravenscroft. 

• Like 2

I'm assuming that these are the same ones that are available in my Gemini module.  IMO the 'truest' piano is the Steinway D, it is highly accurate. That being said, the one I actually use 90+% of the time is the C5, not as 'true' as the Steinway but sounds better with other instruments in a stage setting.  When piano is featured in a song is when I use the Steinway.  Although the CFX seems to be the most popular, I rarely use it.  To hear them all, go to the link below then page down to the expansion slot area, click on the piano, there is a couple minute sample of each one:

https://www.genuinesoundware.com/?a=showproduct&b=43

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

As other Gsi apps, quality is top. And Especially in this case, the price is very very cheap. 

I prefer the CFX in Just Piano than Pianoteq. Same quality in general, but Cfx sings more in the melody, and Pianoteq Steinway is more soft and sweet. 

14 hours ago, CHarrell said:

Excited to hear peoples' thoughts. Every few months I flirt with going the iPad+controller route (have a mini4 that barely scrapes by).

I used a mini4 and watched it slowly get more and more inadequate as more apps came out over that period of ios app development. 

I recently got a Gen 9 running ios 16.1 for about what I paid for the mini4 in 2017 or whenever it was. The advancement in power is incredible. I can run almost any app I want and use AUM v3 to use multiple apps and effects apps and control which you hear via changing midi channels from my board. AUM also allows layers and splits and zones and whatever. It's a gamechanger for me. And my mini4 is available as a backup mostly to suppress Murphys Law.

• Like 1

FunMachine.

+1 on the G9, I keep harping on how it's the least powerful (and least expensive, $270 right now at Best Buy) iPad in Apple's current line up, and the last with a headphone jack. My AUM setup – multiple VIs and instances of the same AUv3 plugs with a few GB of samples, percussion loops, backing tracks, etc. – loafs along at CPU usage 20 - 30% and a 128 buffer.

• Like 1

How long an iPad will get OS updates and latest version of software  is always up to its release date and which processor generation it has in it.  That is usually 5-7 years from release.  

Depending on use it may need a battery swap once during that time frame.  

As long as it boots up, runs the apps you need… run it as long as it’s useful. 

• 2 months later...

For acoustic pianos, in iOS the sample are better, bigger, than the Gemini. 
In iOS there isn’t Vb3 II, but only vb3 I (but there is Leslie sim of Vb3 II). 
Vox continental and Farfisa, Clavinet, and mini orchestra, maybe electro orchestra, I think they are quite similar between iOS and Gemini. 

The biggest thing is that in iOS there Isn’t the Rhodes of gemini, that is, togheter with vb3, the most famous sound of Gsi. 

the synth engine i don’t know if it is similar. 

Then there are the effects, in the Gemini there is a effect chain that can be use with any sound, there is a distortion and simulation amp for example. In the app there are often this simulations, but you can’t use them in standalone. 

In gemini there are generic samples that aren’t in iOS app. 

In iOS there are an electronic drum machine, and in short also an acoustic drum machine. 

So Gsi apps are greats, but the Gemini still is a very good module. The big and famous two sounds of Gsi, hammond and Rhodes, aren’t in iOS in their top version, and maybe it’s not a casuality. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, hrestov said:

The big and famous two sounds of Gsi, hammond and Rhodes, aren’t in iOS in their top version, and it’s not a casuality. 

If you mean that they've made a conscious decision to leave the Gemini/Mojo61 quality Rhodes off their library of iOS apps, that's really too bad. That's the one I've been waiting for and would pay a premium price for.

Here for the gear.

Maybe they change their ideas, Gsi it’s not a big company, mainly two guys I think , so they can change easily idea. However now there is Vb3 II for computer, but there isn’t rhodes. 
I think they like produce iOS app, and they have a politic that their apps and software always have update. In facts it’s quite sure, returning in topic, that Sooner or later m they release new piano samples, that will be available also for just piano app.

44 minutes ago, drawback said:

If you mean that they've made a conscious decision to leave the Gemini/Mojo61 quality Rhodes off their library of iOS apps, that's really too bad. That's the one I've been waiting for and would pay a premium price for.

I think they will change their mind at some point and simply raise the price accordingly. 

• Like 1

Just for reference:

Red Animal

Combo Deluxe

Solo Trumpet

Ckavinet D6

Electro Orchestra (String machine)

Mini orchestra 

are exactjy the same models as the Gemini. 

GSi have released so much over the last  year i’m not surprised the EP app hasn’t appeared yet.

He is also porting all the apps to iphone too. 

Good things come to those who wait!

• Like 1