Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Help: Do you know the story of this Terence Blanchard approach to Footprints?

We've seen Footprints played in many different ways. I am curious about this version. In 2003 Terence Blanchard covered Footprints with this clearly identifiable rhythmic motif and reharm:

I've loved it since but now here is Herbie doing it:

... and you can even find a backing track labelled Terence Blanchard's Footprints. Do you know if this is something that evolved from other similar interpretations or can we say it began with TB? Either way it's pretty awesome to me. Thanks for any insight you might share ... 

• Like 3

Mm, that's pretty sexy. I actually haven't heard this specific take on it before! The closest I can think of is that in the 80s, Wayne started including a lil tag vamp in that swunky 4, though the head would transition back to 6. This isn't the earliest instance of it, but you can hear a clearly stated version here around 1:15 before it jumps into the head

Nice.   I like the changes in the last part of the head.

Listening to it, especially during the tenor solo, I was reminded of some tracks from Donald Fagen's Kamakiriad record (which is one of my favourites).   Something about the tenor, the changes, the general feel  -   there's some kind of connection there, I'm not sure what exactly.

I think Don Braden's into Fagen and Steely Dan - maybe that's it.

I loved this re-imagining of the tune. A local player on Maui hipped me to it about 6 years ago.

It was first recorded on his album Bounce, and the personnel was: 

Terence Blanchard - trumpet

Lionel Loueke - vocals, guitar

Brice Winston - soprano saxophone, tenor saxophone

Aaron Parks - piano

Robert Glasper - piano, organ

Brandon Owens - bass

Eric Harland - drums

So I wouldn't credit Don Braden for the idea... but he does play it well. So does that guy jamming with him...

:keys2:

• Like 1

I doubt there's a story.  Some musicians just look for different ways to make a piece of music more hip in one way or another. 😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I've gigged this version w the fellas back in 2014, seems to me that's when it was making the rounds. I remember someone got a chart (transcribed it?) and we was playing it up in wine country. Required a bit of care to lock in; it sounds like a friggin' mess if rhythm section isn't tight totally locked.

• Like 1

That rhythmic cell goes back further than 2003… I would argue that its roots are in DC gogo music ( @ProfD , correct me if I’m off base). Kind of strangely interesting to hear Herbie & co. play someone else’s arrangement pretty straight up. I don’t remember if Terence was ever involved in the Monk Institute, but it seems how that would circulate.

forgot about that version though, thanks for the reminder. Blanchard’s bands in the early 2000s were stacked. 

• Thanks 1

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

21 hours ago, timwat said:

I've gigged this version w the fellas back in 2014, seems to me that's when it was making the rounds. I remember someone got a chart (transcribed it?) and we was playing it up in wine country. Required a bit of care to lock in; it sounds like a friggin' mess if rhythm section isn't tight totally locked.

Nice to hear Tim. Thank you. I fell in love with it way back in 2003 but never gigged it. Props. 👍

It seemed that the "formal" bands didn't have too much interest in Footprints and you know you can't get the informal ones to do anything with something that's in the real book. LOL

19 hours ago, David R said:

That rhythmic cell goes back further than 2003… I would argue that its roots are in DC gogo music ( @ProfD , correct me if I’m off base). Kind of strangely interesting to hear Herbie & co. play someone else’s arrangement pretty straight up. I don’t remember if Terence was ever involved in the Monk Institute, but it seems how that would circulate.

forgot about that version though, thanks for the reminder. Blanchard’s bands in the early 2000s were stacked. 

Yes, dripping in hungry talent. Brilliant players.

I think you nailed it David. 👍👍 

Wiki says that Terence was artistic director of the Institute from 2000-2011. Yes, Herbie is all about shaking things up but one could also imagine Herbie deferring to an institutional tradition.

Thank you. Curiosity satisfied.  I feel so much better now. ❤️ 😅

1 hour ago, Mark Zeger said:

Blanchard plays those long upward scoops into notes like at 1:52. You immediately know it’s him. 

Yes a signature voice. He's played with the best and picked up the best from them. Criminally underrated composer also. Thanks.

That rhythmic cell goes back further than 2003… I would argue that its roots are in DC gogo music ( @ProfD , correct me if I’m off base).

While I'm not sure of whether or not Terence Blanchard approached the tune with a DC flavor in mind, his arrangement is very close to how we automatically play such tunes here.😉 😎

• Love 2

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"