Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Nord Stockholm EP

EP9 Stockholm | Nord Keyboards

2023-06-16

The Stockholm EP is a classic 1976 Mark I Stage EP, delivering both a fat, round bottom with well-balanced bells, as well as a more barky and shallow sound when hit hard. With its exceptional dynamic range and very versatile voicing the Stockholm EP is our most detailed electric piano yet, being equally at home in soft and singing ballads or in harder, funkier styles.

NOTE: The Stockholm EP is compatible with Nord Stage 4/3/2EX/2, Piano 5/4/3, Electro 6/5, Grand.

• Like 3

----------------

Nord Stage EX 76, Roland RD800, Roland RD300NX, Nord Stage 2EX Compact, Yamaha CP73

Finally a new EP from Nord and been listening to stuff with early Rhodes so look forward to trying this one out.  It's a bit bright to me for a 70's Rhodes sound, but I'd prefer rolling off some top end versus trying to add some.

Now Nord time for a new Wurlitzer sound. 

1 hour ago, eric said:

Sounds killer. I can't wait to download the XL version into my NS3.

Me three. :D

Gear:

Hardware: Nord Stage3, Korg Kronos 2, Novation Summit

Software: Cantabile 3, Halion Sonic 3 and assorted VST plug-ins.

I was hoping they’d release a new EP again…it’s been a while.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

As a new-ish owner of a NS3 I've been using the Nefertiri (or however that is spelled).  Any thoughts on the differences?  Guess I can see for myself soon enough!

Most songs where I play rhodes, there isn't an actual rhodes.  It's more of a guitar substitute.  Doing the little 2nd guitar part on Long Train Running (as our guitarist is doing the main funky riff) is an example.  Or on songs with no keys at all, it's generally rhodes or organ, sometimes piano.   First impression is that this is a bit too bright and "pure" for that but I'll grab this and try it out.

Sound is a bit thin in my headphones. 
But that might be possible to adjust with the onboard EQ. 
Wondering if it bark more, as the size of the program has increased so much. 
That is my biggest complaints against the previous samples. 

/Bjørn - old gearjunkie, still with lot of GAS

2 hours ago, OrpheusNY said:

Notably the file size of the XL version is more than triple their previous largest EP sample (over 100mb).

That is why it sounds as good as it does-

-dj

iMac i7 13.5.2

Studio One 5.5.2

Nord Stage 3

Nord Wave 2

Nektar T4

Drawmer DL 241

Focusrite ISA Two

Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre

Of course, I would have to lay hands on a Stage in order to properly judge this new EP sound.  However, to my ears, I still prefer the Nefertiti Rhodes.😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

7 minutes ago, bjosko said:

This video was postet at the NUF, not too bad. Still some shrill at the top in my opinion. 

Looking at his setting especially towards the end the guy has the Bright Timbre turned on and I did not like that sound.    

I've been listening to a lot of 70's Herbie Hancock straight Rhodes sound like HH as a sideman on CTI albums and that's the 70's Rhodes sound I'm looking for.    On the bottom end of this Stockholm Rhodes I hear that 70's sound, but the basic highend to me is a bit bright compare to HH sound from back them.    Now I liked the sound he was getting when playing softer, when he was laying into it, it was getting more crunchy I expected.    

So hopefully I have time to install Stockholm EP tomorrow and see what it sounds like on my Stage 3.    The DAC on the new Stage 4 is making Nord sounds brighter than on the Stage 3 so another factor to listen for.     Then can I tweak the sound to get the 70's Rhodes I'm trying to find.    

For me it has a similar character to the old Suitcase EP2 sample, but it’s definitely not so thin and quiet in the upper octaves than the Suitcase sample is. I like it also more than the Nefertiti because it’s has a better decay/sustain, at least to my ears. In my opinion it’s the best and most versatile Nord Rhodes sample so far.

Nord Stage 2 76, Nord Electro 5D 73, Rhodes Mk2 73, Sequential Prophet 10 Rev4, Akai Miniak Synth, Roland JC 120

All these years and it's literally never occurred to me play a major pent arpeggio--where it's functioning as scale tones and not a wash of glissed sounds--by sliding my thumb up the black notes. 

I got excited by the OP but I personally would never have a use for this patch.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

8 hours ago, MathOfInsects said:

All these years and it's literally never occurred to me play a major pent arpeggio--where it's functioning as scale tones and not a wash of glissed sounds--by sliding my thumb up the black notes. 

You're kidding? I do that all the time! Harpists can "pedal" their instrument into a pentatonic scale and do those sweeps all day long - pull up a harp patch and try it. You'll recognise the effect immediately.

Cheers, Mike.

• Like 1

I agree with what was said above--in that Bonner's music vid, I thought it sounded much better before he engaged those couple settings that brightened and dare I say "sharpened" it up.   I know everyone wants to "cut through" live but that was too much (IMO).

One thing missing from the vid was changing settings on the NS3 (or electro) amp (presuming you run it through that section), which then gives you a drive control if you are after various amounts of crunch and that "amp sound".  Not sure if he was running it through an amp there, I don't think so from the sound.  I usually do with rhodes patches on my different keyboards.

I echo the sentiment that I'm glad to see Nord continuing to add to their library, and I'm really digging the Nord Sound manager.  These are two massive features that so few other manufacturers think are important (user-selectable sounds, and a librarian).  Novation does offer a nice browser-based librarian to be fair.  

7 hours ago, stoken6 said:

You're kidding? I do that all the time! Harpists can "pedal" their instrument into a pentatonic scale and do those sweeps all day long - pull up a harp patch and try it. You'll recognise the effect immediately.

Cheers, Mike.

I'm not kidding. From a practical standpoint, I guess I don't have many moments where that particular key and that particular "move" line up. (Again, I'm not talking about gliss, but a run that just happens to be in Gb or Ebm). I guess it just never occurred to me to play a run that way, even if we can sort of "get away with it" because of the mechanics of the black notes. It has to be at the end of a phrase like he does it or else you're not set up to get out of the run into whatever else you're going to do. I think it just hasn't come up often enough for me ever to think about it.

You can bet I'll manufacture a reason tonight though...

• Like 2

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

I installed the Med sample (actually it is the smallest of them all) and I feel this is the most dynamic of all Rhodes samples for the Nords. I always felt that the EP samples lacked dynamics (i.e. brilliance, volume and barking the high velocity levels). This one is way different/better.

Really great to see Clavia release a brand new EP sound, even if it's incompatible with my "vintage" Electro 3.

Like Scott, I wasn't terribly enamoured by the sound in the official announcement video, however there are passages of the Bonners clip that I rather like - particularly the dry sound without any extra brightening or effects applied.

A nice addition for owners of newer Nord boards - hopefully I'll have a chance to try it myself in the near future.

Cheers,

James

x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.