Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Nord Stockholm EP

Nice video from Mike Pensini. I have tried the new Stockholm Rhodes on a gig yesterday evening and it sounded great! 

• Like 1

Nord Stage 2 76, Nord Electro 5D 73, Rhodes Mk2 73, Sequential Prophet 10 Rev4, Akai Miniak Synth, Roland JC 120

I was at IKEA yesterday and bought a couple of things for my flat

interestingly I had the "Stockholm Rhodes" on my mind....

Not my favorite type of sound but of course can be tweaked so overall a very nice addition to Nord users.

Catch me on YouTube for 200 IQ piano covers, musical trivia quizzes, tutorials, reviews and other fun stuff...

https://www.youtube.com/p1anoyc

Apologies if it's been posted, but what is the difference between the XL and say the L?  For the acoustic pianos, I just go with L because I don't need string resonance in a live rock band setting.  I guess once again I can try out the versions and see for myself :) 

22 minutes ago, Stokely said:

Apologies if it's been posted, but what is the difference between the XL and say the L?  For the acoustic pianos, I just go with L because I don't need string resonance in a live rock band setting.  I guess once again I can try out the versions and see for myself :) 

The way I understand it is the number of sampled keys in the sample versus samples and computer stretched.   So the smaller files the middle of the keyboard is samples and going out is stretched.    The XL all the key you hear are samples. 

• Like 1

On 6/16/2023 at 11:26 AM, Stokely said:

As a new-ish owner of a NS3 I've been using the Nefertiri (or however that is spelled).  Any thoughts on the differences?  Guess I can see for myself soon enough!

Most songs where I play rhodes, there isn't an actual rhodes.  It's more of a guitar substitute.  Doing the little 2nd guitar part on Long Train Running (as our guitarist is doing the main funky riff) is an example.  Or on songs with no keys at all, it's generally rhodes or organ, sometimes piano.   First impression is that this is a bit too bright and "pure" for that but I'll grab this and try it out.

To me the Nefertiri is almost a cross between a Wurli and a Rhodes. The bells/tines/sparkly tones are way subdued or even absent in the lower registers.  

You want me to start this song too slow or too fast?

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

^ That might be why I like the Nefertiti.  As I mentioned, a lot of songs where I don't have a recorded keyboard part I tend to play rhodes, wurli or organ as they can be a de facto rhythm guitar and blend nicely with a real guitar.  Clav too, depends on the song.  Anyway, if I'm playing in that fashion, I tend to not want a bell tone and I put overdrive on it.  

• Like 2

I'm going to try doing that a bit more.  My modx has the excellent Purgatory creek wurli, not sure how good the Nord one is.   I just never played much wurli, and can't think of any tunes I've ever done that featured one. Pianet, yes :)  

• 1 month later...

I would be interested in your experiences on stage or in the studio with the new Stockholm sample. How do you find it, e.g. compared to the Nefertiti? How does it cut through, do you have to tweak it and what feedback do you get from band mates or listeners?

Nord Stage 2 76, Nord Electro 5D 73, Rhodes Mk2 73, Sequential Prophet 10 Rev4, Akai Miniak Synth, Roland JC 120

I tried Stockholm at 2 gigs so far. Generally, I don't prefer any of the Rhodes-type EPs. I'm a Wurly guy. I liked the Stockholm when I tried it at home through speakers. It has some nice improvements over Nefertiti. It barks a little more when pushed, and I can hear more bell tones when played softly. But - and it's a critical but - at the gigs it just doesn't cut through like the Wurly does and I found myself turning the knob to go back to my Wurly sound. It has more of an edge and cuts through better, and it barks when pushed. This is my personal taste, your live playing situation and gear/sound system/band may make a big difference. 

BTW, I also finally got around to loading the White Grand which I really like. I turned on the string resonance and the long release, which were fun to play at home, but at the gigs I discovered that those effects made the piano more muddy, less definite in the band mix so I turned them off and stored it that way. It's much clearer and crisper, especially for banging on those rockin' piano 8th notes and triplets.

For reference: I'm playing old blues/rock/R&B with guitar, bass, harp, drums, and I double on keys & sax. 4 of the 5 on vocals. 

• Like 3
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

As I wrote above, I have already played the Stockholm EP at a gig and was actually very satisfied. Now I experimented a bit more with the EQ, because I find the sound of the new sample a bit thin sometimes. While watching the video by Ondrej Pivec (see above), I noticed his EQ settings. He boosted the lower mids around 400 Hz a bit (about +5) and added some treble (also about +5). I tried that now and I like the result. The sound is a bit fatter and has more body. Very nice!

• Like 1

Stockholm EP users please let us know if this preset causes some kind of syndrome...where one cannot stop playing it. 🤣😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

10 minutes ago, ProfD said:

Stockholm EP users please let us know if this preset causes some kind of syndrome...where one cannot stop playing it. 🤣😎

I used the Stockholm quite a bit when I first installed it but I've moved back to mainly using the Nefertiti with tweaks on my Stage 3.    I point out that I'm on a Stage 3 because the sound is different on Stage 4.  To me Stockholm on a Stage 4 (based on videos) is a bit too bright and gets crunchy to quickly.   

In long run my favorite Rhodes and Wurlies are Keyscape.  

14 minutes ago, Docbop said:

I used the Stockholm quite a bit when I first installed it but I've moved back to mainly using the Nefertiti with tweaks on my Stage 3.    I point out that I'm on a Stage 3 because the sound is different on Stage 4.  To me Stockholm on a Stage 4 (based on videos) is a bit too bright and gets crunchy to quickly.   

In long run my favorite Rhodes and Wurlies are Keyscape.  

What i liked on the video with Ondrej Pivec (the official Nord announcement video of the Stockholm EP) was, that the problems you describe were not so audible here. Boosting the low mids a little bit let the sample appear less bright and jumpy to my ears.