Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

RIP Tina Turner

RIP Turner, what a soulful voice.

Crazy thing I clicked on her Wikipedia entry and it did not denote her death . I refreshed the page and immediately the information was updated. These guys are fast.

I always recall What's Love Got to do with it when hearing the DX7 Harmonica patch :)

• Like 1

Catch me on YouTube for 200 IQ piano covers, musical trivia quizzes, tutorials, reviews and other fun stuff...

https://www.youtube.com/p1anoyc

One of the most iconic women in music has moved on to the great beyond. 

Thanks for the music Ms. Tina Turner aka Anna Mae Bullock. 😎

• Like 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

This was my introduction to Tina Turner back when I was a wee one. For years I believed this to be her song, not knowing Al Green, and there's still something about the sound of her version that I miss in the original. And that synth solo!

She was royalty back in the 80's, kind of lost track of her after that.

R.I.P. Your Highness

• Love 1

local: Korg Nautilus 73 | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

Tina Turner was powerful and unforgettable in many ways. Her voice, her stage presence, and her story of overcoming adversity were compelling and inspiring.

Back when I used to gig in clubs, I was in a cover band that performed a regular tribute to Tina Turner; so her songs have extra meaning to me. I'm very sad to hear this news!

RIP, Tina Turner.

Best,

Geoff

• Like 3

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

52 minutes ago, Dave Bryce said:

Aw, man... 😧

Mick Jagger had a great line about her - somethng like standing next to her on stage was the hottest place on the planet.

dB

Pretty sure Mick copped alot of his performing mojo from Tina. The whole world copped Tina's mojo. 

• Like 4

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

Sad to see her go...  RIP Tina.

Even sadder will be to see a movie about her, a few years from now, which will share details of her personal life we may not know... (Or want to know ever...) This isn't a knock against her, it's just after seeing "Cash" (Johnny Cash), "Rocket Man" (Elton John), "Bohemian Rhapsody" (Freddie Mercury), "Respect" (Aretha Franklin) and "Elvis" (well, duh!); it's disheartening to see all the personal struggles they all went through glamorized on the big screen.  It makes my old UMass band mates say to me on more than one occasion, "Gee, aren't you glad we didn't make it big?!"

Old No7

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

15 minutes ago, Old No7 said:

Even sadder will be to see a movie about her, a few years from now, which will share details of her personal life we may not know... (Or want to know ever...) This isn't a knock against her, it's just after seeing "Cash" (Johnny Cash), "Rocket Man" (Elton John), "Bohemian Rhapsody" (Freddie Mercury), "Respect" (Aretha Franklin) and "Elvis" (well, duh!); it's disheartening to see all the personal struggles they all went through glamorized on the big screen.  It makes my old UMass band mates say to me on more than one occasion, "Gee, aren't you glad we didn't make it big?!"

Old No7

There is one old Tina Turner story I was told by a bass player who was in Ike and Tina band.   He's still around in one of the BIG Rock acts that is still going strong.   So be interesting to know if it was just an old road dog musician story or there was some truth to it. 

RIP to a real legend. I've always loved her and was lucky enough to see her live in the 90s. Powerhouse vocalist with a huge presence, great musicality, and fantastic performer. :)

Kronos 2 73, Nautilus 88, Matrixbrute, Logic, Pianoteq, NI Komplete

I’ve always been partial to female lead singers, having been in a band with one for over 40 years. Tina was always my favorite, and my wife got me (us) a pair of tickets to see her live about 20 years ago for a birthday present. Man, did she ever bring it. RIP Tina.

• Like 1

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

RIP Tina, "the hardest working woman in show business".

This is one of my favourite live performances of all time - her energy is through the roof!

It's up there with James Brown's TAMI show performance the previous year.

• Wow! 1

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

James Brown was killin'! He was my first concert. James Brown in 1967. Imagine that. Playing the B3 with go go girls in cages before he came out front, the cape when he walked off. Man oh man...surprised my parents let me go. They had to drop me off there. lol

• Love 1

6 hours ago, TommyRude said:

This is one of my favorite Tina videos for all kinds of reasons.  Of course - Tina, who seemingly was at the height of her powers for a very long time, insane incredible energy and charisma.  Ike is rockin' it as well, in the background throughout.

A couple of deets;  at 0:10, the mic stand drops.  It does not phase her in the slightest - she keeps launching the dance steps, and then at around 0:19 she picks up the mic and proceeds to shred.  I know this isn't really a big deal - happens all the time, but she just handles it with such MOJO!

Her dancers - more insanity.  So many great moves.  In particular - at 0:54  they do this lean-back-hand-forward move that is the coolest thing ever.  Reminds me of the San Francisco underground comics of the 60s.  Anyone remember Zap Comics, R. Crumb, the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers, more?  The move they're doing shows up in these comics.

One more item - they kinda flub it up a bit in this performance - but where Tina joins the dancers at 1:27.  This is the dance that for some crazy reason became a thing in Australia.  They do the Nutbush dance all over down under, young and old, in bars, at schools, events, it's a whole thing.  No clue if they even connect the lyrical content of this song to the dancing they're doing.

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

That's a heavy loss. She left her mark on each decade, always reinventing herself just when people thought maybe she'd hit her expiry date.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

7 hours ago, Old No7 said:

Old No7

There already was a biopic (What's Love Got To Do With It) back in '93. And there was a very good documentary on her on HBO two years ago:

As a wide-eyed country boy growing up, I would comb the jukebox cutout bins (10c each) looking for 45s like this - which would change my life. 

When I moved to Seattle, the first band I joined was a soul band - where somehow the guys allowed a white college student in playing organ. Last night I got emotional thinking about her - like another essential part of my childhood has passed. RIP Tina. You were loved and hugely influential on so many of us. 

• Love 1