Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

1st time listening to Taylor Swift

She could comfortably. buy Greenland at this point.  I've never disliked her music.  i also don't think she's 37 times better than other singer-songwriters who are still waitressing for a living.  Kind of a frustrating example of how our algorhythm-driven world works, but that's not Taylor's fault.

• Like 3

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

21 minutes ago, Adan said:

She could comfortably. buy Greenland at this point.  I've never disliked her music.  i also don't think she's 37 times better than other singer-songwriters who are still waitressing for a living.  Kind of a frustrating example of how our algorhythm-driven world works, but that's not Taylor's fault.

She gave out a total of $55 million in bonuses just for this tour. Not many people who are where she is, trickle this kind of rain down so consistently. It's hard to find another example, in fact. 

• Like 3

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

28 minutes ago, MathOfInsects said:

She gave out a total of $55 million in bonuses just for this tour. Not many people who are where she is, trickle this kind of rain down so consistently. It's hard to find another example, in fact. 

It doesn't stop there...when you live in Nashville you find out about what she does for her adopted home town. When a major tornado hit the city a few years back, she gave $1 million to the Middle Tennessee Emergency Response Fund.  She kept Grimey's record store in Nashville going during the pandemic by giving employees money directly and paying for 3 months of the group health insurance. She's also given thousands of dollars to random fans when she found out they were in need, even though they weren't asking her for money. And, although not a direct act of charity, her tour is bringing in tons of money to local tourism, and giving many cities a needed shot in the arm.

She's becoming comfortable with expressing viewpoints very much in keeping with her generation (and which make sense at least to me), even if it means losing some fans who can't tolerate differences of opinion.

Not to mention that she single-handedly brought a new generation of women into playing music, and was responsible for a big blip in sales of  acoustic guitars.

On top of all that, she's an inventive songwriter and performer who never stops evolving. I can't think of a better role model for an army of Swifties. She is truly someone who leads by example, and more power to her. 

• Like 4
  • Love 2

I truly consider her the smartest lyricist since Elvis Costello. Anyone who bailed in the "Shake It Off" years should really check back in on her. This one's got a bit of Paul Simon in the lyrics too.

Rebekah rode up on the afternoon train
It was sunny
Her saltbox house on the coast
Took her mind off St. Louis
Bill was the heir to the Standard Oil name and money
And the town said, "How did a middle-class divorcée do it?"

The wedding was charming, if a little gauche
There's only so far new money goes
They picked out a home and called it "Holiday House"
Their parties were tasteful, if a little loud
The doctor had told him to settle down
It must have been her fault his heart gave out

And they said
"There goes the last great American dynasty"
"Who knows if she never showed up, what could've been"
"There goes the maddest woman this town has ever seen"
"She had a marvelous time ruinin' everything"

Rebekah gave up on the Rhode Island set, forever
Flew in all her Bitch Pack friends from the city
Filled the pool with champagne and swam with the big names
And blew through the money on the boys and the ballet
And losin' on card game bets with Dalí

And they said
"There goes the last great American dynasty"
"Who knows if she never showed up, what could've been"
"There goes the most shameless woman this town has ever seen"
"She had a marvelous time ruinin' everything"

They say she was seen on occasion
Pacing the rocks, staring out at the midnight sea
And in a feud with her neighbor
She stole his dog and dyed it key lime green
50 years is a long time
Holiday House sat quietly on that beach
Free of women with madness, their men and bad habits
And then it was bought by me

Who knows if I never showed up what could've been
There goes the loudest woman this town has ever seen
I had a marvelous time ruinin' everything

I had a marvelous time ruinin' everything
A marvelous time ruinin' everything
A marvelous time
I had a marvelous time

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

Blank Space is one of the songs of hers that I looked at when a bandmate suggested that maybe we should cover it, and I was impressed by its lyrics.

I think I have difficulty connecting with Taylor Swift's singing style; it always seems so perfectly executed. Ryan Adams' cover of Blank Space really shows off her songwriting. 

• Like 1

"Love Story" was a fun song when I was younger. I stopped listening until "Shake it Off" came out, which again, I thought was fun. Then I heard "Style" on the radio while coming back from a playing a gig and bought "1989" as soon as I got home. I was a fan by the end of the album.

When she surprised released "Folklore" and then "Evermore" they went on constant rotation in our house. I think my wife played Evermore for like 4 months straight.

Someone said earlier that she's probably the best we could ever ask for in terms of a 2023 Pop Artist, and I'm inclined to agree. If every artist treated their crew like she did the whole industry would be better off for it.

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3