Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

1st time listening to Taylor Swift

I just listened to some Taylor Swift songs, because I never have and wanted to see what all the hubbub was all about.

I am willing to bet some of you are ready to share an original verse in her style. <In search of some laughs> You see after about her forth song I was chuckling.

Here's another humorous idea. How about taking her lyrics and placing them in the style of Yes or Pink Floyd.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

30 minutes ago, 16251 said:

I just listened to some Taylor Swift songs, because I never have and wanted to see what all the hubbub was all about.

I am willing to bet some of you are ready to share an original verse in her style. <In search of some laughs> You see after about her forth song I was chuckling.

Here's another humorous idea. How about taking her lyrics and placing them in the style of Yes or Pink Floyd.

Oh she’s a Madonna type, “evolving” - which Taylor have you been listening to?  

Taylor Swift — October 24, 2006

Fearless — November 11, 2008

Speak Now — October 25, 2010

Red — October 22, 2012

1989 — October 27, 2014

Reputation — November 10, 2017

Lover — August 23, 2019

Folklore — July 24, 2020

Evermore — December 11, 2020

Midnights — October 21, 2022

in 2010 she performed with Stevie Nicks at the Grammys.  It was a terrible night for Taylor.  But that was a long time ago. ;)

• Like 3

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I'm not sure if this is supposed to be a pile-on thread, but no such piling will happen here. I think she's a complete bad-ass. Those pandemic albums with The National are gorgeous. I'm a huge fan of her lyric-writing in the pop realm--some of the smartest writing since Elvis Costello IMO. 

It's crazy to me how many older, usually male musicians take such a demeaning view of her. I have to believe it's some combination of hotness and the babydoll voice, plus maybe the fact that she's a millennial female writing about millennial female life. But for anyone who has been complaining about manufactured pop stars, here's someone who writes her own songs, plays her own guitar, produces her own records, and changes genres at will. Her current concerts are clocking in at something like 3.5 hours. She should be everything we want in a 2023 pop star.

Not to mention, her production team and she herself have a reputation for being the easiest touring act to deal with. She kept her production and management team on the payroll throughout the pandemic--no one missed a check, for years. Apparently she sent some of the kids to college too.

Huge fan here. 

• Like 10
  • Love 3

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

1 minute ago, MathOfInsects said:

I'm not sure if this is supposed to be a pile-on thread, but no such piling will happen here. I think she's a complete bad-ass. Those pandemic albums with The National are gorgeous. I'm a huge fan of her lyric-writing in the pop realm--some of the smartest writing since Elvis Costello IMO. 

It's crazy to me how many older, usually male musicians take such a demeaning view of her. I have to believe it's some combination of hotness and the babydoll voice, plus maybe the fact that she's a millennial female writing about millennial female life. But for anyone who has been complaining about manufactured pop stars, here's someone who writes her own songs, plays her own guitar, produces her own records, and changes genres at will. Her current concerts are clocking in at something like 3.5 hours. She should be everything we want in a 2023 pop star.

Not to mention, her production team and she herself have a reputation for being the easiest touring act to deal with. She kept her production and management team on the payroll throughout the pandemic--no one missed a check, for years. Apparently she sent some of the kids to college too.

Huge fan here. 

This.

I’m far from an expert on her and her music, but I can’t find anything bad to say about her.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, ElmerJFudd said:

Oh she’s a Madonna type, “evolving” - which Taylor have you been listening to?  

Indeed. We've watched her grow from the innocent teenager of "Love Story" to self assured woman in her 20s of "We Are Never Getting Back Together" to the reflective person facing middle age in songs like "Cardigan" and "Snow On The Beach". Whether you like her or not (and I do for the most part)  the one thing you cannot do is sum up Taylor Swift in four songs. 

• Like 2

As soon as I read the OP I knew this thread probably wasn't going to go as he thought it would.

Me I don't follow Pop much but I know who Taylor Swift is and always thought she was a good singer songwriter better than most Pop artists.   She's done a great job managing her career, I think her recordings will be around for a long time.  Those are all pluses to me.  

Only love for TS here......always interesting on the pile ons   Seems to be from those that have never listened to her music, studied her lyrics or seen her in concert, followed her career or watched her be a role model to millions of young girls.    Nevermind the records that she is constantly breaking on the charts.  Universities creating courses to study her writing style.  Nope--none of that taken into consideration--only what they read in the rags.  You cannot dispute what the charts are saying and what the touring numbers are saying.  Artists want to work with her because she charts songs and is a pleasure to be around.  Does she have the absolute best voice in the female music arena?  Not always and she's not necessarily a power singer.  But she gives her fans and the public the type of music and concerts they want.  She's a marketing and business genius and unless you follow her you have no idea what that looks like.  She's literally changed the music industry in terms of streaming and has control of her career and her contracts.  The haters gonna hate because they don't bother to delve a little deeper.  Personally stoked to see her in concert this summer.  It will be my 13th TS concert!  

Not intended as pile on.  Just thought her lyrics are cute and was hoping for some creativity like:  "Oh, he moved in next store and I was watching him from the window. He's that person I saw at school and he is so cool. Then all of sudden, he rang my doorbell, I went to the door and gave me a smile and asked if I had any milk."

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

She’s very good at doing a lot with a little, just like the hit makers of the past. This tune, like many of hers, could be arranged for pretty much any other style and would still hold up well.  Assuming the singer can relate and sell the song of course.  

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

My daughter has been a Taylor fan for years. She recently asked me to watch a Taylor documentary with her called Folklore: The Long Pond Studio Sessions. Taylor was in her studio talking and performing. I was impressed. Very good songwriting. The Taylor I saw in the documentary was mature, sincere, hard working, and very likable. 

• Like 3

Fun fact: Taylor Swift grew up in Wyomissing, PA, in the school district next door to mine. We graduated from high school the same year, both born in -- of course -- 1989. Never met her, but we had mutual acquaintances (by the time we were in high school she had already shipped out to Nashville to do the thing).

It's an interesting thing being from the same nowhere town as someone who is leagues more famous and successful than you in your chosen field. I had a lot of bitterness and resentment towards her (and her wealthy parents) in my late teens into my early 20s, as I struggled to get my footing as a working musician and songwriter. That feeling is documented by a clever and unnecessarily nasty song I wrote in 2010. Ten or so years later, for my Pandemic Solo Album, I wrote a sort of sequel/apology song that I'm quite proud of. Both of the songs are really a lot more about me and my relationship with success, envy, and external validation. She was just a convenient scapegoat for my insecurity and dissatisfaction.

Eventually, I listened to the re-recorded version of her Red album when it came out a few years ago and realized how much I'd been missing out on by hating on her. The new record, Midnights, is badass -- haunting, sparse, groovy, and raw. I don't have any prog versions of her songs in mind, but I have been tempted to do an all-talkbox version of I Knew You Were Trouble... I'll keep y'all posted as that seems in keeping with the vibe of this thread!

• Like 2
  • Love 2

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

6 minutes ago, SamuelBLupowitz said:

Fun fact: Taylor Swift grew up in Wyomissing, PA, in the school district next door to mine. We graduated from high school the same year, both born in -- of course -- 1989

Funny Sam, my daughter was also born in 1989

• Love 1

Her fans come into the record store and buy all her material on vinyl. She seems to genuinely love and appreciate her fan base, and they her. I can't say I love her music, but I have nothing but respect for her as an artist and person.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

Watching her “evolving” career and songwriting is a pretty clear example of someone starting off doing a heart felt creative piece of artwork and slowly being eaten up by “the machine”…

Not saying that artists must remain static, meaning I love the various faces of Bowie. But it seems rather clear that the influences and pressure on young artists to conform so as to get all aboard the gravy train is tough to watch. She could have gone slower and been less of a commercial star while still maintaining a large and loyal fan base!!!

Come in here, dear boy, have a cigar. you're gonna go far…

When musical machines communicate, we had better listen…

http://youtube.com/@ecoutezpourentendre

I'm surprised and pleased by the way this thread has gone so far.

Apple#3, you may be a little confused about the direction of her career. If anything, what's unique about her is that she's become a mega-successful pop star while operating essentially as an indie artist. She's walked almost completely away from the sound(s) that made her famous probably three separate times now. She's writing her strongest and most idiosyncratic music, and still finds a way to make it commercial. 

Anyone who still remembers "Shake It Off" Taylor Swift should check in with her now.

• Like 1

www.joshweinstein.com

Im certain of my confusion!!!

More power to her for all the aspects we cant know about. And as I posted, I like when artist move in new directions musically and otherwise. My point is not so much her, but more so the industry! Tell me there”s no machine and I’ll tell you trees dont communicate... 🍄

IMG_0156.jpeg

IMG_0157.jpeg

I never listened to her or followed her in any way. Then a few years ago I saw her on stage at a music awards show with 5 middle age male country stars. Major stars. One of them tossed out a semi-crude innuendo. The other four looked that they were thinking about dragging him off the stage and beating the crap out of him, and she just ignored the comment and continued to smile sweetly while doing the presentation. I gained a lot of respect for her that night and wonder what she has had to put up with over the years.

• Like 1

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I was also curious some time earlier this year. I found a random YT video and liked what I heard. I was particularly wondering about her being Country. She looks like a pop star. I guess the one song could be Pop New Country. I like Miley Cyrus too.

I too have a huge amount of respect for her. When I had a chat with @SteveNathan he had some great insight into how driven and focused Taylor was even early on. I think she has a long and substantive career still ahead of her.

21 minutes ago, RABid said:

I never listened to her or followed her in any way. Then a few years ago I saw her on stage at a music awards show with 5 middle age male country stars. Major stars. One of them tossed out a semi-crude innuendo. The other four looked that they were thinking about dragging him off the stage and beating the crap out of him, and she just ignored the comment and continued to smile sweetly while doing the presentation. I gained a lot of respect for her that night and wonder what she has had to put up with over the years.

And the way she handled the whole kanye absurdity was a testament of her strength as a person… Beyoncé also showed true grace during that evening.

I would work for her if this dog wasn't too old to hunt anymore.   She is a good entertainer.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

25 minutes ago, RABid said:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-people-taylorswift/taylor-swift-wins-groping-trial-against-dj-awarded-symbolic-1-idUSKCN1AU108

Badass. She just wanted him held accountable. And she made it happen.

• Like 1

www.joshweinstein.com

• 3 months later...