Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Has anyone tried the keyboards of the Nord Stage 4 88 vs Nord Piano 5 ?

Has anyone tried the keyboards of the Nord Stage 4 88 vs Nord Piano 5 ? According to Piano Man Chuck, he advised that the Nord Piano 5 was more piano like in action since the Stage 4 needs to cover double duties with Organ and Synth work. I ask this because the organ sounds in the Nords are usually looked on as close to being the best, but not quite as good as dedicated B3 Clones. So if running Organ from another module or keyboard, it would not be necessary to purchase the Stage outside of the All-In-One convenience of layering and stacking sounds along with the new 3 instances of the synth engine on the Stage.

I was also wondering if anyone here thinks that the Stage 5 synth is superior or on par with dedicated synth keyboards like the Summit or ASM Hydrasynth? I know it's a little early to ask these questions, but was hoping that someone would have auditioned in a store that had them.

I did have a Nord Stage 3 C that I was playing from a Roland 88-Key Midi Controller, so was wondering if the feel is significantly better or worse also.

Warm Regards,

Anthony

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

20 hours ago, AnthonyM said:

Has anyone tried the keyboards of the Nord Stage 4 88 vs Nord Piano 5 ? According to Piano Man Chuck, he advised that the Nord Piano 5 was more piano like in action since the Stage 4 needs to cover double duties with Organ and Synth work. I ask this because the organ sounds in the Nords are usually looked on as close to being the best, but not quite as good as dedicated B3 Clones. So if running Organ from another module or keyboard, it would not be necessary to purchase the Stage outside of the All-In-One convenience of layering and stacking sounds along with the new 3 instances of the synth engine on the Stage.

I was also wondering if anyone here thinks that the Stage 5 synth is superior or on par with dedicated synth keyboards like the Summit or ASM Hydrasynth? I know it's a little early to ask these questions, but was hoping that someone would have auditioned in a store that had them.

I did have a Nord Stage 3 C that I was playing from a Roland 88-Key Midi Controller, so was wondering if the feel is significantly better or worse also.

Warm Regards,

Anthony

I can assure you that the synth in the Piano 5 is just a sample playback unit with limited controls and not comparable at all to any dedicated synth.  Your Stage 3 has an actual synth engine, which is already much more powerful than the sample player in the Piano 5 or Electro series.

-dj

iMac i7 13.5.2

Studio One 5.5.2

Nord Stage 3

Nord Wave 2

Nektar T4

Drawmer DL 241

Focusrite ISA Two

Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre

I don't like the term "on par with" things like Summit and Hydrasynth.  They are all different.  Nord Stage 4 and Wave 2 synths are VA, FM, Wavetable and Sample.  They don't have infinite routings and modulations but the Nord synths are both really fast and quick to dial in whatever you want but also kind of walled enough so you really can't get a bad sound on it.  Others are deeper in some areas but don't have the ability to do some of the things Nord can do like load samples, etc.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

I haven't played the Take5 but I can't imagine it being on par with the Hydrasynth in terms of features, like not even close. Hard to even compare them. Ribbon, poly at, unlimited mods, more voices, 3xosc, osc mutants, two filters with multiple filter models, effects, number of env and lfo, macros...Literally 1000s of possibilities that the Take5 can't even take a stab at.

Now, the Take5 may sound great, and I've found that ALL DSI/Sequential products do, but that's really a different discussion. Hydra will make a lot of programs you can't even start with on the Take5.  If you just want a simple easy to program synth that only covers the basic synth sounds live, then the T5 might actually be better for you, but you're really paying for analog, not features in that case.

The only ground exclusively owned by the T5 is the sequencer. The Hydra has a step LFO which can be used as a sequencer, but it's way harder to use than the typical step sequencer.

You want me to start this song too slow or too fast?

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff