Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Pianoteq iOS

Since Modarrt has partnered with various piano makers to have an official physical model of that brand, I would like to see what they could do with modeling a straight strung piano like the ones made by Chris Maene or Stephen Paulello. 

10 hours ago, Jazz+ said:

Tried it on a 2019 Dell Laptop. Tried various settings. Not snappy enough for me. In other words subtle latency.

I know you've had issues in the past with latency with one or more iOS apps, and now I see you have issues with a Windows app as well. Question: Can you trigger any iOS or Windows apps and play their sounds *without* experiencing a latency issue? (I'm wondering if the issue might not be inherent to specific apps, but rather something particular to your setups.)

• Like 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

9 hours ago, Jazz+ said:

Tried it on a 2019 Dell Laptop. Tried various settings. Not snappy enough for me. In other words subtle latency.

you have wifi card disabled? (not just wifi off, but card actually disabled),  bluetooth disabled,  etc.  dell is notorious for really crappy latency problems.

download this for free and see what it reports:  https://www.techspot.com/downloads/6944-latencymon.html

From what I remember, certain computers (usually laptops) have dpc latency that is higher than others, and it's pretty baked in.  Not sure that's still a thing, I've been using macs now for a while and haven't had any latency issues.

Have noticed that Pianoteq tops out at 64 buffer size on MacBook/Windows/iOS, whereas most others do 32 or very occasionally 16. However, at 64, Pianoteq feels as snappy as the others at 32 to me. 

3 hours ago, octa said:

Have noticed that Pianoteq tops out at 64 buffer size on MacBook/Windows/iOS, whereas most others do 32 or very occasionally 16. However, at 64, Pianoteq feels as snappy as the others at 32 to me. 

Different than playing back samples from disk or memory I suppose. 

• Like 2

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

It's the design of the computer devices' hardware and the specific dealings of the "kernel" with all kinds of Operating System related tasks which mostly influences real time (audio) capabilities. A modern I series or M processor or ARM cpu can respond to a signal and respond with a fair number of computarions in a microsecond easily.

However, memory bus and chip design together with virtual to physical address translation makes certain context swaps slow. There's not an easy or software only way to be sure of a certain audio latency from keyboard to DAC output. You'd need hardware devices to measure with some certainty, and then you'll want to be interested in constancy of the delay more than the minimal number of milliseconds.

The piano on pad comparison is nice, but I'm a fan of a full piano sound, not the widely popular ability to sound loud in the mid range.

T

I've been wondering whether to stick with Ravenscroft iOS rather than spend the $$ on a Pianoteq license just to get the iOS version. Found this comparison vid that went up a couple of weeks ago. Good discussion points from a very good player.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Here for the gear.

1 hour ago, drawback said:

I've been wondering whether to stick with Ravenscroft iOS rather than spend the $$ on a Pianoteq license just to get the iOS version. Found this comparison vid that went up a couple of weeks ago. Good discussion points from a very good player.

Nice find.  Very detailed walk through.  

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

1 hour ago, drawback said:

I've been wondering whether to stick with Ravenscroft iOS rather than spend the $$ on a Pianoteq license just to get the iOS version. 

It's certainly worth downloading it, and you can try it yourself for free, comparing how Pianoteq and Ravenscroft actually play from the controller you'd be using. The demo lets you try all the different piano models, they just have scattered missing notes in them, and you have to reset the timer every so many minutes.

• Like 2

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Yeah, I keep downloading, trying and eventually trashing. This video gives the clear, long view I haven't been able to "hear" properly when I do it myself! To me, Pianoteq is just missing that magic mojo that transforms its rather clinical sound (across all their pianos) to a more "natural" experience of samples. As with the video, I find Steinway B the closest to the character I'm looking for. 

Here for the gear.

6 minutes ago, drawback said:

Yeah, I keep downloading, trying and eventually trashing. This video gives the clear, long view I haven't been able to "hear" properly when I do it myself! To me, Pianoteq is just missing that magic mojo that transforms its rather clinical sound (across all their pianos) to a more "natural" experience of samples. As with the video, I find Steinway B the closest to the character I'm looking for. 

Note a very important thing which is usually overlooked: the CONDITION SLIDER

By default, it is in MINT position and that is not what 99% of real pianos will be. Just move it to a less-than-perfect position, around 15% or so, and you will notice a more realistic piano sound.

• Like 1

Have done that 😃, in fact I suppose I'd probably have to spring for the Pro level to deep edit it (does anyone know if the Pro would work on an iPad?). But then I'm looking at major $$$  – as I've said before, easily the price of the iPad itself. I'll keep working on the iOS Stage version, comparing to the best sampled (Ravenscroft) but if it can't surpass the gold standard, I can't justify it.

Here for the gear.

3 hours ago, drawback said:

Have done that 😃, in fact I suppose I'd probably have to spring for the Pro level to deep edit it (does anyone know if the Pro would work on an iPad?). But then I'm looking at major $$$  – as I've said before, easily the price of the iPad itself. I'll keep working on the iOS Stage version, comparing to the best sampled (Ravenscroft) but if it can't surpass the gold standard, I can't justify it.

Yes, Pianoteq Pro works on the iPad and it’s marvelous to tweak everything to your heart’s content. If you have Pro on your Mac, you’ve got Pro on your iPad. As for Ravenscroft, I hope you compared the iOS version to the one for Mac. Such a -huge- difference, night and day. I consequently deleted Ravenscroft from my iPad. 

• Like 1

My main takeaway from the PT iOS vs the rest is that even the clear piano-like licks and playing tricks aren't where I'd like them to be, so PT is a bit more responsive than the rest, which is interesting, there are virtual piano's which can be handy, but I don't like any of them like the real thing or some other options out there like some of my Kurzweil edits or a V Piano. Not even when I try t think away the obvious sampling issues I hear the whole time. A well used Spectral Component Modeling Yamaha can get better, and even though out of the box that isn't the first impression, these PC software guys aren't doing anything that's going to be interesting science, so I find it not great to hear this crop.

T

• 2 months later...
On 5/8/2023 at 10:20 PM, Reezekeys said:

Yes if you already have PT Pro 8 then the iOS version is free!

Can't find this clearly spelled out on their site. If you buy Pianoteq Stage for pc/mac for $139, does it include the IOS version?  i.e. how much does one have to pay to have stage (no extra packs, just 1 piano) on both desktop and ipad?

32 minutes ago, D. Gauss said:

Can't find this clearly spelled out on their site. If you buy Pianoteq Stage for pc/mac for $139, does it include the IOS version?  i.e. how much does one have to pay to have stage (no extra packs, just 1 piano) on both desktop and ipad?

From what I understand, when you purchase Pianoteq you get three licenses, from there it's up to you where you want to use them.

When you purchase any version of the software, you get codes to install on three different desktop or laptop computers, plus you can have the software on all of your iOS devices.

• Like 1

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

10 hours ago, Dr Mike Metlay said:

When you purchase any version of the software, you get codes to install on three different desktop or laptop computers, plus you can have the software on all of your iOS devices.

Indeed, a iOS devices you’d use count as one install (out of three) so you can add two computer installs. 

• 10 months later...
6 hours ago, StickMan393 said:

This may be a dumb question... is there a recommended way to get my customer patches (fxp) from my desktop copy of Pianoteq to my iOS app? I've just installed the iOS app and 'updated my license', so I have the instruments. How do I get my custom presets transferred?

just copy the fxp files and load them. easy peasy mac & cheesy.

see this for more:  https://forum.modartt.com/viewtopic.php?id=11137

• Thanks 2