Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Piano

zephonic

Although I grew up around acoustic pianos, I never actually bought one myself. The last 6+ years I made do with a rental, until I figured out I sunk $8K+ into that POS. So I returned it and started a seven week quest for a decent piano. Drove all over SoCal, even to Vegas, and learned a lot (the US market is very different from Europe's).

Finally I found a 1989 Yamaha G2R (5'7") in LaJolla, for sale by the original owner at a terrific price. I wasn't 100% sure about its condition and tone, but it seemed in good shape for a 30+ year old instrument, so I took the plunge.

Once it had arrived at my place, the piano tech came and she thought it was in great condition. She spent the afternoon regulating, voicing, raising and tuning, and now it is much better than what I thought it could be! Two notes stick out a little, and the bottom end is limited by the size of course, but as a starter instrument this punches way above its weight (and price!).

In fact, it plays so well and sounds so good I bought two Audio-Technica ATM350PL's to see if I can get a decent recorded sound out of it. I originally bought the P515B to record piano parts, but that has been returned as a result.

I feel odd buying a piano this late in life, but I'm loving it and so glad I finally did. I want to thank forumite Dave Ferris for connecting me with Teri Meredyth, the piano tech, and for thinking along during the process, it helped.

IMG_6094.jpeg

IMG_6157.jpegIMG_6159.jpegIMG_6169.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Love 7

local: Korg Nautilus 61 AT | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer | 16" MBP M1 Max

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

What little I’ve heard of your playing makes it even more appropriate that you should finally have such a fine instrument! I’m very happy for you - and you deserve it.

• Like 1

Here for the gear.

Brotha Z, congrats again. Glad you found your piano and having a blast with it.

Don't worry too much about theP515B. That one will land in another home.

If for some reason you ever need another P515B, you won't have to drive all over Cali and NV to get it.🤣😎

• Like 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

4 hours ago, marino said:

:2thu::2thu::2thu:🎹 🙃 :keys2:🙃 🎹 :2thu::2thu::2thu:

That depicts my feelings pretty much spot on :D

4 hours ago, Dave Ferris said:

Yes Teri is for certain an LA treasure. She has a very impressive background being head tech at UCLA Royce Hall for decades. She's worked (and put up) with everyone from Keith Jarrett throwing a temper tantrum, to Burt Bacharach, to the great Murray Perahia, and everything in between. She left UCLA some years ago and now tunes for just about everyone in town.

Indeed! She does Gerald Clayton's C7 and recently prepped a piano for a Benny Green recording. She has stories for days!

1 hour ago, Outkaster said:

I have a G3

Nice! 

I have never been a fan of Yamaha's acoustics, their tonal character was just not for me. But something Ferris said here on the forum a few years back kind of resonated with me, that a good tech can do a lot to alter the tone of a piano, as long as you have a well-built instrument without major defects to work with.

And Teri was a Yamaha consultant for many years, she says they are second to none in terms of build quality, so I got over myself.

Glad I did! When striking at ff or fff that Yamaha hardness still comes out a bit, but that's actually cool. When playing at mp or lower it creates a lovely smooth tone. And with the way she regulated the piano, it's pretty easy to control the dynamics, too.

10 hours ago, ElmerJFudd said:

I also have a small baby grand, shorter than yours even.

Well if we're counting/measuring, mine's even smaller than both of yours. Srsly, I have a 4'3" baby grand. There's nothing like an acoustic piano with a gravity-return action, amazing instruments.

12 hours ago, zephonic said:

starter instrument

I can only dream about starting my piano journey on such a wonderful thing.

Cheers, Mike.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, stoken6 said:

I can only dream about starting my piano journey on such a wonderful thing.

Yeah, I see how that came across as flippant. Sorry. 

I called it a starter piano because it is literally the first piano I have ever bought. I just meant to convey the excitement one would feel (I assume) when buying their first home.

The thing that gets me is I literally spent less on this instrument (including transport and Teri's work) than I did on that utter POS rental I had before this! Ah well, live and learn...

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, zephonic said:

Yeah, I see how that came across as flippant. Sorry. 

I called it a starter piano because it is literally the first piano I have ever bought. I just meant to convey the excitement one would feel (I assume) when buying their first home.

The thing that gets me is I literally spent less on this instrument (including transport and Teri's work) than I did on that utter POS rental I had before this! Ah well, live and learn...

I think it's awesome that you found such a nice one!

• Like 2
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Congratulations on your piano, it seems like a lovely one to play.

I began my playing "career" with an old and bashed Yamaha SY77 (back then, just 5 years ago, I had really no clue on actions and such 😅). I loved to restore it and then play it. But as I began to take piano lessons, I found it unsuitable for the task and bought a Yamaha DGX660 about three months later. That was an improvement, but still not the answer...

So in February 2020 (just pre COVID lockdown!) I bought my first acoustic, a Yamaha U3H (do you notice some trend on brand 😆?)And, even now that I also have a Kawai VPC1 and lots of the very best piano VSTs, the acoustic rules them all 🤩

Enjoy playing it!

Jose

• Like 1

Another congrats on the piano, I'm quite jealous. :)  I doubt I will ever have a "real" piano, but I am lucky to live in a time when I can get a keyboard which has or can access realistic-sounding piano sounds. No of course nothing beats the real thing, but you gotta pick and choose your battles -

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KenElevenShadows said:

Excellent! Out of curiosity, how did you find it? Where did you look to find a piano like that?

pianomart.com

But I searched on FB Marketplace, Reverb, Craigslist and Ebay.

And I visited every piano store in the LA area.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheophilusCarter said:

Nice bass, too!  :)

Yes! It’s a Sire V3P (passive).

Amazing value for money and no need to set up, sounds good right outta the box. And stays in tune forever.

• Love 1