Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Artists' songs: "love it, like it, hate it" song list

9 hours ago, o0Ampy0o said:

OK now you are getting too “police-y” ignoring hits. Maybe use a different title and describe it differently next time. The way this was going as well as the way you wanted it can both be fun when you make the rules clear in the beginning. Like “rate less known deep dives” or something. I could say at this point I hate everyone’s hit due to having heard them so many times but it doesn’t mean I didn’t ever like them. And of course becoming a hit doesn’t mean it was ever a good song. 🙂

? Sorry not following. I didn't say ignore hits. I said you don't HAVE to list hits only. I think the title/OP were clear enough. People can list big hits, minor hits. or totally obscure songs. Whatever.

On 3/24/2023 at 12:08 PM, o0Ampy0o said:

Michael Macdonald

Love: everything solo

Like: everything he did as a guest of other musicians

Hate: everything as a Doobie Brother

Me too. I love MM, and I love the Doobies before MM.....after he joined they became sort of "Steely Dan Lite", AKA the gods of yacht rock.....

• 4 weeks later...
16 hours ago, CyberGene said:

Queen

Love: Bohemian Rhapsody 

Like: Radio Ga Ga

Hate: Bicycle Race

How can you hate the bicycle song ;)  Kidding, I totally get it, but for me it's so bad it's good (and a friend's little kid loved it and used to sing it and it was funny how she did it, so that helped)

8 hours ago, JimboKeys said:

Keeping it to one song:

The Who

Love - I Can See for Miles

Like - The Kids Are Alright

Hate - Eminence Front

Funny I could just about flip that :) But I'll go:

Love - Who Are You

Like - Eminence Front

Hate - Tommy Can You Hear Me

On 4/21/2023 at 9:26 AM, Lou Gehrig Charles said:

Rush:

Love - The Analog Kid, The Trees, Entre Nous, Passage to Bangkok etc

Like - (OK everything else I picked I bumped up to the Love category)

Hate - Fly By Night

OK I have officially jinxed myself by making that post.  Guess which song my band has decided we need to learn and add to our repertoire?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 3/24/2023 at 4:35 PM, o0Ampy0o said:

It is the bad fit that gives me a stomach ache. His voice and music were a major mismatch with The Doobie Brothers. He has contributed vocals on many other artist's material but the band he joined was the worst foundation for his assets. They of course welcomed the difference but I am always reminded of that instead of hearing his DB material as his and not the band's. Sometimes he sang China Grove in their live shows and it was just horrible. He is one of the greatest backing vocalists in the business but it was so far off for the Doobie's sound. Their music had been heavily enhanced by a distinct choral harmony supplied by Tom Johnston and Patrick Simmons, two guys so compatible and complimentary one could sing the other's leads and get away with it. 

I think the Pat and Tom would disagree with you a long with millions of other people.

• Like 2

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

• 2 weeks later...

I don't recall the Beatles of all people on here so wth:

Love - Let it Be

Like - Penny Lane

Hate - Yellow Submarine (you think that's low-hanging fruit, I could have said "Why don't we do it in the road" :) )

• Like 1

On 4/25/2023 at 8:34 AM, Outkaster said:

I think the Pat and Tom would disagree with you a long with millions of other people.

Argumentum ad populum.

The world majority is comprised of followers. Popularity is not a testament to merit nor refined taste. 

Love: George Harrison as a Beatle and solo artist, especially All Things Must Pass. I remember the day I acquired it and I remember its lovely scent of vinyl. I also loved George's vocals with The Traveling Wilburys.

Love: Paul McCartney's Beatle material, his McCartney solo album and a few individual solo releases decreasing as time passed post-Beatles

Love: John Lennon as a Beatle, all of Plastic Ono Band and Imagine (the song not the album). For the most part John seemed to be anti-Paul in terms of production and sound engineering post-Beatles. To me Paul had the ideal bass sound while John had the bass diminished and a crappy tone on his solo material.

Love: Ringo's drumming and Beatles vocals and It Don't Come Easy. Woohoo! George's riff on Leslied guitar.....and as the composer! And Ringo's All-Star Band and how he tours the revolving lineup in first class!

Sorry Bill 🙂

2 hours ago, o0Ampy0o said:

Love: George Harrison as a Beatle and solo artist, especially All Things Must Pass. I remember the day I acquired it and I remember its lovely scent of vinyl. I also loved George's vocals with The Traveling Wilburys.

As someone who grew up listening to the Traveling Wilburys, I'll admit Jeff Lynne and George Harrison were great collaborators. Too bad Roy Orbison died after their first album came out :(

Crosby, Stills, Nash (and Young):

Love: The Lee Shore

Like: Carry On (kinda love that too)

Hate: Our House

Lynyrd Skynyrd:

Love: Saturday Night Special

Like: Sweet Home Alabama

Hate: That Smell

Bruce Springsteen:

Love: Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out & Atlantic City (Can't pick between the two)

Like: Radio Nowhere

Hate: Born In The U.S.A.

Peter Gabriel:

Love: Here Comes The Flood

Like: Solsbury Hill

Hate: Sledgehammer

• Like 1

Editor - RECORDING Magazine

A couple more:

Foreigner

Love: Starrider

Like: Juke Box Hero

Hate: I Don't Want To Live Without You

Chicago:

Love: Ballet For A Girl In Buchanan

Like: Feelin' Stronger Every Day

Hate: The remake of 25 Or 6 To 4, from the Chicago 18 album

• Like 1

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

5 hours ago, Al Quinn said:

Yes:

Love: And You and I

Like: I've Seen All Good People

Hate: Owner of a Lonely Heart

I wouldn't say I "hate" Lonely Heart, but those orchestra hits are annoying as hell to me and not a fan of the solo.

I'll take a a Yes cut:

Love: Your Move

Like: Looking Around

Hate: Rhythm of Love

• Like 1

Van Halen (and no, I'm not putting "Jump" on here):

Love: I'm the One, Unchained, When It's Love, Dance The Night Away

Like: Eruption, Mean Streets, Summer Nights

Hate: I'll Wait, I'll Wait, I'll Wait

Honorable Mention for Hate: I'll Wait

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Roland RD-2000, Yamaha Motif XF7, Mojo 61, Invisible keyboard stand (!!!!!), 1939 Martin Handcraft Imperial trumpet

"Everyone knows rock music attained perfection in 1974. It is a scientific fact." -- Homer Simpson