Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Oscars

1 hour ago, AnotherScott said:

On the topic of wokeness relative to the Oscars and movies in general...

Good to see a nod to Costner's Dances with Wolves......the character loved his wolf and horse more than anything.......you could love the grossest smelly pig of a human because tortured and left to die he worried about his mules.........while far too many are more like the teasing soldier who ripped out a page of the diary to use as TP.

• Like 1

The only Oscar-nominated film I saw this year was the one that won.  I watched it 1.5 times, the first 0.5 on a plane.  I was so enamoured with the quirkiness, humour, heart and originality of the film that I went to the trouble to watch it from scratch at home.

I can’t say it was a worthy winner or the actors who won were worthy winners because I didn’t see the other nominees.  What I can say is it’s an excellent film, and the actors who won did a wonderful job.  My only criticism was I felt the denouement was a little long.  

It’s personally disappointing that here, on a forum that is overtly non-political, people choose to use an off-topic awards ceremony to dog-whistle their completely irrelevant personal social agenda.  What do we gain from this and what value does it add to the community?

• Like 8

As a trumpet player, my favorite Oscars moment is the closing credits. For maybe decades, the band’s lead trumpet, Rick Baptist, would get to rip it up in the highest range on the horn over the arrangement. I nearly made it awake for the credits this year.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, CowboyNQ said:

I watched it 1.5 times, the first 0.5 on a plane.  I was so enamoured with the quirkiness, humour, heart and originality of the film that I went to the trouble to watch it from scratch at home.

Yes, I also started watching this movie on the plane, flying back from seeing relatives late last year.  I really liked the concept and overall tone of the film, but struggled to concentrate due to general tiredness, so eventually stopped watching.  I'll definitely have to watch it properly at home, in order to truly appreciate it.

• Like 3

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

I hope to watch at least some of the nominated films.  As for Michelle Yeoh, I really dug the movie Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, she was great as was the entire cast of that film, amazing.  Based on that film, which has stuck with me for decades, I'll give EEAAO a look.

• Like 1

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

1 hour ago, o0Ampy0o said:

Isn't "Everything I think, feel, say and do matters!" what Twitter is all about? 

I'm so glad I left Twitter.    Back when I was still working in computer world I got into Twitter and was pretty active a lot of the SysAdmin/security types hung out and it was a good.    Then I got away from it after retiring and got back more into music.   Then for some reason got into it a litte, but edited all my follows and followers to music only, but other crap still came through.   But when Mr Control Freak bought it I killed my account and haven't miss it at all. 

• Like 1

Brendon Fraser can play a marginalized character in a movie and still give the best acting performance while doing it. They are not mutually exclusive. I'm extremely happy for him. Because he's a criminally underrated actor. Sir Ian Maclellan recognized this, praising him way back in 1998 when they starred together in 'Gods and Monsters'. Here's one of his quotes:

"I didn't appreciate Brendan's performance while it was happening. I've talked to somebody who worked with Marilyn Monroe and he said the same of her. You could only see it through the camera or on the screen."

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

10 hours ago, re Pete said:

Whoever choose the music to back the spot to honor those who past last year was a great fit.

Lenny Kravitz singing 'Calling All Angels' very simple but very touching. 

Yes, but the camera should never have been on him. It wasn't about him, and it took away from the people remembered, which also left a lot to be desired. How hard is it for someone connected to the Oscars to jot down a name on a list whenever someone of note passes away? They left out:

Paul Sorvino (!)

Tom Sizemore ('Saving Private Ryan', and many others)

Melinda Dillon (Dreyfus' wife in 'Close Encounters', and so much more)

Gilbert Gottfried (classic voice work on animated films)

Tony Sorica (Known mainly as Pauly Walnuts from 'The Sopranos', but a lot of movies, too)

Cindy Williams ('American Graffiti')

Philip Baker Hall, FFS! ('Magnolia', 'Boogie Nights', a million others)

Stella Stevens

David Warner, one of the finest actors from the past 50 years (also Picard's antagonist in the 'There are FOUR LIGHTS!' episode)

Leslie Jordan

Ann Heche

Charlbi Dean, whose film 'Triangle of Sadness' was up for Best Movie!

Marsha Hunt

Kevin Conroy, also. He was the universally-loved voice of the animated Batman films.

Pretty disgraceful.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

I don't know if it was coincidence but one of the cable channels showed Encino Man (1992) the same night as the Oscars which co-stars Brendan Fraser and Ke Huy Quan.

• Cool 1
  • Haha 1

Gibson G101, Fender Rhodes Piano Bass, Vox Continental, RMI Electra-Piano and Harpsichord 300A, Hammond M102A, Hohner Combo Pianet, OB8, Matrix 12, Jupiter 6, Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, CS70M, CP35, PX-5S, WK-3800, Stage 3 Compact

22 hours ago, Kawai James said:

Yes, I also started watching this movie on the plane, flying back from seeing relatives late last year.  I really liked the concept and overall tone of the film, but struggled to concentrate due to general tiredness, so eventually stopped watching.  I'll definitely have to watch it properly at home, in order to truly appreciate it.

The Airplane is generally a terrible way to watch a good movie, but it's a fantastic way to watch a mediocre movie!

I think I watched "The Truth About Cats and Dogs"  three times in one summer going back and forth across the country. Enjoyed it each time... and it's a truly middling film!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

18 minutes ago, EricBarker said:

The Airplane is generally a terrible way to watch a good movie, but it's a fantastic way to watch a mediocre movie!

I think I watched "The Truth About Cats and Dogs"  three times in one summer going back and forth across the country. Enjoyed it each time... and it's a truly middling film!

I support this proposition 100% Eric.  Never really thought about it in those terms until you pointed it out but I’ve enjoyed quite a few mediocre movies as good time killers on flights.  Whereas good movies I get frustrated because I’m missing key parts of the experience.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EricBarker said:

Yeah, good call!

However, I also watched the "King Richard"  (Richard/Venus/Serena Williams biopic) on the the same flight and found it extremely entertaining.  However, that was perhaps earlier into the flight and a little less cerebrally demanding.

• Like 1

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

I saw Martin Scorcese’s Silence traveling from Vancouver to Sydney. I watched it again on the way back and was very moved.

It may be an exception to the brilliant general rule about movies in airplanes. It’s not a high stimulation movie. It presents a moral quandary which grabs you even on a small screen, I guess.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CyberGene said:

Tried to give “Everything Everywhere All at Once” a second chance but couldn’t stand it for more than 40 minutes. To me it’s emperor's new clothes situation.

Perhaps you are just not the target audience?

Despite my effusive praise and constant Godfather references, my wife stoutly refuses to enjoy The Godfather. She is an absolutely perfect person, with this one glaring imperfection which goes to only show how perfect she otherwise is. 😉 😄

• Haha 3
  • Love 2

15 hours ago, Synthaholic said:

Yes, but the camera should never have been on him. It wasn't about him, and it took away from the people remembered, which also left a lot to be desired. How hard is it for someone connected to the Oscars to jot down a name on a list whenever someone of note passes away? They left out:

Paul Sorvino (!)

Tony Sorica (Known mainly as Pauly Walnuts from 'The Sopranos', but a lot of movies, too)

Stella Stevens

David Warner, one of the finest actors from the past 50 years (also Picard's antagonist in the 'There are FOUR LIGHTS!' episode)

Leslie Jordan

Ann Heche

Marsha Hunt

Kevin Conroy, also. He was the universally-loved voice of the animated Batman films.

Pretty disgraceful.

they left out Robert Blake too

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

16 hours ago, Synthaholic said:

Paul Sorvino (!)

Stella Stevens

Leslie Jordan

Ann Heche

Marsha Hunt

Pretty disgraceful.

What I read was there is a limited amount of time to do the tribute so they have to edit the list down for the TV show.  At a non public Oscars event they do a tribute to all who have transitioned along with other awards not covered on the TV show.   

7 hours ago, Tusker said:

Perhaps you are just not the target audience?

Despite my effusive praise and constant Godfather references, my wife stoutly refuses to enjoy The Godfather. She is an absolutely perfect person, with this one glaring imperfection which goes to only show how perfect she otherwise is. 😉 😄

I always say that it's cute how they keep making movies even though Goodfellas has already been made. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

I remember that I liked Godfather, Goodfellas when I watched them but I am not sure why they are so highly ranked 😀 I mean, they are good movies indeed, but why would so many people rank them as the best movies ever? In any case, I would prefer Godfather to EEAO any time of day.

Is there such a thing as "the best movie ever"? I also remember how The Dark Knight was IMDB top 1 movie for quite some time and that would really amaze me. I mean, imagine aliens visiting the earth some day and we show them our artistic achievements, music, paintings, etc. and we are at cinema and we say: here's one movie about some bat-man and some jocker that we consider the best cinematic achievement of humanity 🤣 Although it's not my personal favorite movie, I think The Shawshank Redemption would be my choice for best movie ever made. (My personal best is SE7EN, laugh as much as you like 😛)

Oh come on, everyone knows, Star Trek II The Wrath of Khan is the best movie ever... and the aliens visiting earth would get it.

• Cool 1
  • Haha 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

The highest-rated movie on Rotten Tomatoes is ... wait for it... Paddington 2.

It was Citizen Kane for a long time but someone uncovered an old negative review that knocked it down behind Paddington 2. 

Based on this weird little fact, the kids and I--all too old for Paddington--decided to watch it on a lark. Like, ironically--so we could say we watched the best movie on Rotten Tomatoes, even if it was a kids' movie that we knew would be too young for all of us.

Goddam if that movie wasn't great. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com