Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Keyboard stand accessories

Adhere to the stand, the instrument or both? Objective is to cushion and prevent scratches or to prevent instrument from sliding?

Yamaha CP73; 145 gig Leslie; Nord Electro 61; Oberheim OB3^2; Wurlitzer 200A; Ampeg Gemini I amp; Speakeasy Leslie preamp; QSC K-10

(dearly departed, now serving the Lord in Bryant AR: '58 B3, Bob Schleicher 50C Leslie)

My Omega Pro arms (particular second tier, and I use the bottom of the 2nd tier as the first tier!) had little to grip so I was racking my brain to think what I could use.  A drummer I knew years ago gave me some thick cork tape that works wonders--keyboards do not move on the stuff-- but I ran out and couldn't find the exact thing online.

I ended up getting some cork bicycle handle tape.  Tennis racket handle grip I also considered but I didn't have any, and when looking online this bicycle stuff seemed even better.  It is working great, though I did have to use gaffer's tape at the ends to get it to stay as the adhesive that comes with it isn't very strong.  I didn't wind it around like you would on an actual bike handle, rather I cut long strips (about an inch wide) that I lay flat on the stand arms, then taped around the arm and cork on either end.   Neither keyboard will slide at all with this stuff, it really grips.

Edit: easier just to show.  The speckles in the black stuff are not dirt, they are part of the texture.  I kept two of the cork small strips I had from before on the bottom tier, taped over the new stuff.

image.thumb.png.38651ef5b383c45b827ac945cf95e51f.png

This is the stuff I got:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001MBUU4M/

• Like 1

22 hours ago, BluesB3 said:

Adhere to the stand, the instrument or both? Objective is to cushion and prevent scratches or to prevent instrument from sliding?

Just like the one in my pic. It's a K&M Omega stand

�Ah, music," he said, wiping his eyes. "A magic beyond all we do here!�

J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

For me it's mostly about keeping the instruments from sliding.    Although, the keyboards were tending to scuff and scratch up my stand arms a bit and I'd rather they do that to a protective layer.  Probably saves scratches on the keyboard bottoms too for whatever that is worth!

Probably old news for many:  I'm addicted to these things:  Pipe wrap  and pool noodles from the dollar store.  Also liberal use of shelf-liner underneath my keyboards when using platform stands or keeping my Ipad from slipping off the B3 at church. 

I recently switched over to a K&M stand and used pipe wrap to slightly elevate keyboards on the bars. . I  use  pool noodles in my gig bags to fill the extra gaps and cushion the. bottom of the case a bit more.  In my office I have an industrial desk that had bottom bars that were a knee killer and  long swear word generator - Pipe wrap to the rescue!!

IMG_5118.thumb.JPG.00488bae58f8fdd2d7f84d785be0d88f.JPGIMG_5117.thumb.JPG.f8e61856a56027a168d641275f684ca0.JPG

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

This is why I like logistical threads like this.  My idea of the bike handle stuff was rare for me, I usually don't think well outside the box (and only thought of that because that former drummer got me onto that cork tape in the first place!).   

3 hours ago, obxa said:

I use pool noodles in my gig bags to fill the extra gaps and cushion the. bottom of the case a bit more....

I do the same -- really works well!  And it's CHEAP!!

Helps for sure.

Old No7

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

POOL NOODLES a million and one uses.

My first adaption of pool noodles was to slide them onto the old style surfboard racks (single round tubes) as cushioning for my windsurfers.

It was thicker and cheaper than the traditional rubber tube

Plus it was colourful like many of the old school windsurfers.

Other use is once slit down seam as a bumper bar like protector on nearly anything

Not to mention the use as a fairly meaty keyboard stand arm padding

I said " Not to mention the use as a fairly meaty keyboard stand arm padding"