Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

stage presence, how do you deal with that as a keyboard player?

Emiel Minnee

It seems I’m a bit more unique than I’d anticipated here, as I greatly prefer standing for almost all keyboard performance, even rehearsals.

Maybe it’s because I played jazz trumpet for years growing up, which is far better in standing position (less cramped diaphragm). I also sing in the majority of my gigs, and singing while sitting sucks. But it’s more than that. Yes, my feet get a little more tired, but the rest of my body is a lot looser when standing, I can more easily move around to different keyboard zones or boards, my arms and wrists are in more natural positions wherever I’m at. Seated and playing a 2tier rig always felt a bit draining, my arms are always a bit out of place on something and for long gigs it gets tiring.

But lastly there’s the performance aspect. I’m an extrovert, so I’m at my most confident when I’m seen and can connect with the audience. I struggle to do that from a sitting position. I’ve also recently learned I struggle with tall column stands, as they block everything, including short bandmates when I’m turned sideways. Maybe this makes me a diva, but it’s where I’m the loosest and most comfortable.

• Like 1

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

16 hours ago, PianoMan51 said:

Love me some Billy Preston. 

Now just for giggles re-watch the OP’s performance video. 😃

hey hey hey the OP showed guts and self awareness to put his stuff out there.  c'mon, no-one can compare to Billy, jeez

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

1 hour ago, TommyRude said:

hey hey hey the OP showed guts and self awareness to put his stuff out there.  c'mon, no-one can compare to Billy, jeez

I agree. What I was trying (but not succeeding at all ) to point out is how the original post had been forgotten. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TommyRude said:

+1. Plus, as pointed out previously, the context of the OP's gig is very different from a blues gig with Clapton.

Cheers, Mike.

• Like 1