Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland RD-88, Gig Bag, Hard Case?

My wife recently bought the RD-88 to use for local gigs. I had a reasonably sized and lightweight hard case I thought we'd use for it but when we got the keyboard home I discovered the case didn't have enough height. The RD-88 is somewhat odd shaped; not very deep and rather tall. I have a huge flight case that would work but it's ridiculously bulky for this keyboard and our little local gigs so we put it in the gig bag the Privia PX-3 came with. That works fine but is not a long term solution. 

So I'd be interested to know if others are using this keyboard and what they're using for transport. Hard cases are great but a padded gig bag is almost preferred. Appreciate the knowledge and advice from the community. 

I understand not being wild for a flight case, but I'll say a good word for SKB and Gator resin cases. They're extremely tough and the wheeled models are a godsend. They're also useful to tabletop players. You can put a lot of mini-synths, effects and etc. in one safely. They're not casually cheap @ loosely $300 and up, but an ATA rating lets you sleep better at night. I can swear by SKBs after seeing airport baggage guys bounce my workstation off the tarmac with no damage. WIN! Give their gig bags a look and see if they have a good fit for an RD88.

• Like 1

As an adolescent I aspired to lasting fame, I craved factual certainty
 and I thirsted for a meaningful vision of human life- so I became a scientist.

This is like becoming an archbishop so you can meet girls.
      ~ Matt Cartmill

I’m looking at possibly getting an RD88, and have gone through the same processes as you. I don’t like soft cases, and flight cases have always been too heavy and overkill for my purposes. Therefore the SKB and Gator cases have been my go to cases. I use an SKB 61 case for the Nord electro 5 HP. That case is only 8.9kg in weight, so with the 11.3kg of the Nord, I’ve got a digital piano and organ in a hard case with a combined weight of just over 20kg.

I just need a better keyboard action, and for piano solo gigs a board that’s lighter than the Rd700’s 25kg + 14.5kg case, hence my interest in the RD88. 
I believe the RD’s depth is 159mm. The nearest I’ve found so far is

https://www.gear4music.com/Keyboards-and-Pianos/Gator-GTSA-KEY88-ATA-88-Note-Keyboard-Case-with-Wheels/1OWA?origin=product-ads&gclid=Cj0KCQiAi8KfBhCuARIsADp-A54-XaTWABy3yHI9CTAkGVtfu9xIE8sUBp9-QT7WBkO2LKgooszc3GEaAoeCEALw_wcB

https://www.gear4music.com/Keyboards-and-Pianos/88-Key-ABS-Keyboard-Case-by-Gear4music/186F?origin=product-ads&gclid=Cj0KCQiAi8KfBhCuARIsADp-A54j0B-iuZCMx4bwahc3baRvRFXAGaM_IT4Bzc-0k-OLN8f5-_FVvVQaAiNwEALw_wcB

I don’t work for gear 4 music by the way :) but I take finding the right case v seriously too, and need minimal

weight and maximal protection. Nothing seems to fit it

snugly other than a soft case it would seem. Good luck, and let

us know if you find anything suitable. 

• Like 1

Yamaha YC73

Korg Kronos2 61

Yamaha CP88

Roland Jupiter 8

Roland JX3P

Roland D50

I use this soft case 

https://www.gear4music.com/Keyboards-and-Pianos/Deluxe-Slim-88-Key-Keyboard-Bag-by-Gear4music/2M9O

It is a snug fit and is very slim just like it claims.  It won't last forever but has survived being dragged out a few times a week for a year with only a few minor scuffs . 

Wouldn't dream of using it if I was flying or  gear getting chucked in a van but does a good enough job when I'm the one loading and unloading. 

I've been able to put thin foam-covered pieces of corrugated cardboard in most of my soft gig bags, and they give a little extra protection to what's inside.  And if you're concerned about the board around shifting inside, pieces of the foam insulation meant for pipes works great and also provide some protection.

Old No7

• Like 1

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

I wish I had read this thread. I just got the gator slim 88 case. The depth is 5" of waste but I guess it has the straps inside. I have the 61 note version and it's ok.

I also have the old SKB "plastic" cases and when flying, they have dropped bags on it and it flexes enough to break the keys. I was on tour in the hotel repairing my keys.

I would only use the gator case for local gigs with the RD. Hope it's good enough.

All my keyboards have taken a drop eventually. Bummer.

Korg Kronos, Roland RD-88, Korg Kross, JP8000, MS2000, Sequential Pro One, Micromoog, Yamaha VL1, author of unrealBook for iPad.

8 hours ago, ewall08530 said:

If you want a good padded bag this Casio works well.  I had an RD 88 for a year and since I’m the only one moving it and transporting in my SUV it was enough protection and kept the weight down. 

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SC800Bg--casio-carry-case-for-px-s1000-3000

I use the same case, just kept it when I sold my PX- S3100 last year. Has some padding and is workable for local cartage in my vehicle, but would definitely go to an ATA-rated case for any extended road work.

• Like 1

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

13 hours ago, ewall08530 said:

If you want a good padded bag this Casio works well.  I had an RD 88 for a year and since I’m the only one moving it and transporting in my SUV it was enough protection and kept the weight down. 

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SC800Bg--casio-carry-case-for-px-s1000-3000

All the info I was gathering indicated that the Casio bag was the best fit and the measurements seem to confirm. I added one to my list on Sweetwater but then found a different one, much cheaper, on Amazon. It seems a little too good to be true but I ordered it and we'll check it out. If it sucks I'll send it back.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B2JM8HKT?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I thought it was a little odd that google searches brought up a lot of cases/bags from European countries, I don't want to pay to ship overseas.

Appreciate the feedback and suggestions.

I received my Gator case, but not the RD-88. When it comes in I will let you know how it goes. With 5 inches extra space for depth on the Gator, don't know if that's good or not.

• Like 1

Korg Kronos, Roland RD-88, Korg Kross, JP8000, MS2000, Sequential Pro One, Micromoog, Yamaha VL1, author of unrealBook for iPad.

• 2 weeks later...

The gator case is definitely wider (5 inches) than the RD-88. However, the straps hold the keyboard in place and the overall size of the Gator slim case is not bad. Not much longer than my SKB for Kronos 61. It's a go so far.