Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - Renting movies sucks

Just wondering... no cable here, so we rent movies. Maybe one a week. And they have SUCKED. Brother got "Whole Nine Yards," a Bruce Willis movie. I left room after about 45 minutes. Brother quit after another half hour and he can watch ANYthing.

Movie before that was "Starsky And Hutch," a new release with two big stars. We made it through but it sucked.

Before that, Stakeout #2 (sequel), Richard Dreyfus, Rosie O'Donnell. Pitiful.

Before that "Other People's Money" with Danny Devito. Sucked.

Need some good dramas as well.

I haven't watched movies in years. I said to brother "Where in the hell are all the great movies that I hear about that I wish I would have seen but never did? Where ARE those movies?

We use Blockbuster. How do you find good movies? It's really not worth the effort when they suck. Really.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Go out to movies.

You must have Film Festivals associated with your local museums and cultural institutions. I just went to two French films sponsored by the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston. I saw two the best films I've ever seen and the directors where there to answer questions. The alternative to Hollywood is often better.

Pierre-Olivier Mornas, director and star of As If Nothing Happened

Monsieur N. by Antoine de Caunes

Newer titles that you might like (if you like movies that offers more than stunt scenes and explosions):

Lost in Translation, The Royal Tenenbaums, Standing in the Shadows of Motown (a must see movie for anyone intrested in music), almost any movie by the Coen brothers (avoid Intolerable Cruelty and the Ladykillers) and Tim Burton.

If you don't mind watching "older" movies, look for the Criterion Collection brand - very few of their titles will disapoint you.

It would be hell of a lot easier to help if you could tell what movies you liked.

http://www.lexam.net/peter/carnut/man.gif

What do we want? Procrastination!

When do we want it? Later!

You definately rented a couple of the worse movies. There are some pretty good shows out there right now for rent (new releases). "Secret Window", "Big Fish", "Lost in Translation" just to name three. "The Last Samuri" was better than I thought it would be. So, don't give up on the rentals.

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Originally posted by Mats Olsson.:

It would be hell of a lot easier to help if you could tell what movies you liked.

Obviously, I like comedies and dramas cuz I said so.

I actually meant how do you find them... knowing what to ask for... and then how do you actually find the tape? Blockbuster, from what I see, that is VERY limited. In the past ten years, there have to be DOZENS of fantastic films I have not seen. Maybe a hundred. Where are they? Even award-winning films.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

You're renting the wrong movies. Every once in a while my local cable company tries to get me to subscribe to one of their premium channels (or actually a bloc of them) by giving them to me for free for a month or two. Every time I've tried it, the "blockbusters" they show are crap. (The original programming is a lot better, but who wants to get hooked into a prime time soap you're not going to be able to follow when your free trial drops?)

By and large, the big movies from hollywood suck, seems to me. (And I spend a lot of my cable time watching old movies on Turner Classic or Fox Movie.)

I tried blockbuster when I first got a DVD player -- but the selection was gosh-awful.

I now use the online/mail system Netflix -- which works great for me, since I'm one of those fools who would go to the video store, rent a movie I'd been meaning to see for years, then put it off night after night, running up a big bill. Netflix lets you subscribe at different levels and keep out a fixed number of movies at any one time. When you return one to them they send you a new one. Having 3 movies out at once will set you back about $22/month -- but if you stay busy you can probably watch 10-15 movies during that time if you watch them as soon as they come in (depending on your local mail service as much as anything) and that can lower your rental rate to under $2 a movie -- with no late fees ever, of course.

Netflix...just try it..it is fantastic...

Recent 'likes'

Spartan with Val Kilmer

The Barbarian Invasion ( foreign)

Kingpin

The Cooler

The Weather Underground

Love Stinks

The Italian Job

Recent dis-likes

Secret Window

Mystic River

Bad Santa

Netflix, netflix and more netflix....Even if it means you have to BUY a dvd player...just do it..

Originally posted by LiveMusic:

"Whole Nine Yards,"

"Starsky And Hutch," a new release with two big stars. We made it through but it sucked.

Stakeout #2 (sequel), Richard Dreyfus, Rosie O'Donnell. Pitiful.

Before that "Other People's Money" with Danny Devito. Sucked.

Oh ouch, you picked some stinkers! I'm guessing that first one was actually The Whole Ten Yards, a waste of time sequel to the decent The Whole Nine Yards. Ten Yards is a very recent New Release. And "Stakeout #2" is "Another Stakeout," another stinker. :D

Here's a New Release video cheat sheet for you...

*The Good*

Butterfly Effect

The Station Agent

Bad Santa (crude but funny, might not be your thing)

City Of God

Cold Mountain

Leo

Monster

Six Feet Under (HBO series)

*The Decent* (not great, not horrible)

Miracle

Hidalgo

Big Fish

Master & Commander

Mystic River

50 First Dates

Garage Days

Paycheck

Secret Window

*The Ugly*

Against The Ropes

Along Came Polly

The Big Bounce

Barbershop 2

Last Samurai

Starsky & Hutch

13 Going On 30

The People I Know

Torque

You Got Served

Regarding the question "How do you find good movies?", start at www.imdb.com , and also try www.rottentomatoes.com. The cool thing about RT is they have reviews from a ton of newspaper film critics all in one place. Another tip is to ask Mats. :thu:

As you can see, it's a matter of personal preferrence. I didn't think "Bad Santa" was all that bad. "Cold Mountain" was great, and I thought "Hidalgo" was just as good. Another one we recently rented was "And Starring Pancho Villa as Himself". Me and my wife loved it. Her sister thought it was boring. However, the same sister said "13 Going On 30" was hilarious, which we didn't agree with. It does help if you know just who you like as actors or directors, and that way you have a 50-50 chance. But one thing I hate...

Is when I rent a DVD, and several times through it I experience that "pixel glitch" that jumps ahead and causes me to miss 10 minute chunks out of a flick. I had to go back to the rental place to get a different copy of "Bad Santa" just to pick up several of the story turns I missed. It didn't make sense until then.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Another Netflix endorsement here. No late fees, keep it 2 hours or 2 weeks (or more), no late fees. They have a selection that dwarfs any retail movie rental outfit.

imbd.com - the internet movie database is a great resourse.

To find movies that I have a chance of liking, I read reviews first. Typically I look at Roger Ebert's site:

Roger Ebert - Chicago Sun Times

I also look at our local Austin madman reviewer Harry Knowles at his site:

Ain\'t It Cool News

The Netflix site has links to reviews, too.

After a while, you get to know which reviewers are usually on target with your own likes and dislikes.

Office chatter has proven to be the worst source of movie recommendations I've ever run across. That any any positive review by Gene Shalitt.

M Peasley

Originally posted by M Peasley:

Another Netflix endorsement here. No late fees, keep it 2 hours or 2 weeks (or more), no late fees. They have a selection that dwarfs any retail movie rental outfit.

imbd.com - the internet movie database is a great resourse.

M Peasley

A big selection and a good interface.

Another good review/info resource is allmovie.com.

It's similar to imdb.com, but has slightly different strengths. The reviews and backgrounders are mostly first rate.

Originally posted by Brakka:

Here's a New Release video cheat sheet for you...

*The Good*

Butterfly Effect

City Of God

Monster

These are must sees.

*The Decent* (not great, not horrible)

50 First Dates

I actually would have put this one in the "good" list. It's just a fun flick.

*The Ugly*

The Big Bounce

This was worth the price of rental just for the extras which included some awesome surfing footage

on the north shore.

The key here is to rent the original Big Bounce (recently remastered and re-released), which I thought was real good, considering when it was made.

Warning: Rant Ahead!

The Whole Nine Yards. One of the worst flicks I have ever seen. The idea for this flaming turd seemed to have been born during this conversation....

Bruce -"I haven't had a good lap dance in a long time."

Matthew -"Ya know, I grew up in Otawa, and when we wanted a good lap dance we drove to Montreal."

Bruce -"Let's make up an movie idea on the plane as an excuse to check out "the sights" in Montreal. Hey I'll bring this Vodka and LSD for the plane ride."

Talk about cultural inaccuracies. Rosanne Arquette using a bad Parisian accent, that is not at all how locals talk. Not even close. The only thing Rosanne Arquette ever did that was worthy was inspire the song "Rosanna" by Toto.

Bruce says repeatedly, "why do they but Mayo on the hamburgers here. Why not ketchup like us Americans". ? Watcha talking 'bout Willis? That is not common at all. We eat 'em like you do.

This must be the worst, most haphazardly thrown together, tax subsidized piece of trash ever made.

Next time, do your homework.

There is no substitute.

For rentals, Netflix has both critical and subscriber reviews to help you know what you're in for.

For recent DVD releases and movies that are currently showing, RottenTomatoes.com

is a great resource to help you avoid the stinkers. They poll all the published reviews and give you a % rating as to what the consensus is. Reviews aren't everything, of course, but if you only get to the movies once in a blue moon like we do, it helps you to pick the right flick to see.

One of these days I'm gonna change my evil ways...

one of these days...

http://www.emotipad.com/emoticons/Band.gifhttp://www.weidenbach.net/images/storage/headbang.gif

Yeah those movies you rented stink, but man, rent the right movies, and you'll be in for a great suprise, because in what is sure to be a controversial opinion, I'd like to state that:

From around 1997 thru 2001 was THE golden age of film making.

Here are some strong recommendations (in no particular order), mostly from that era:

Sixth Sense

Road To Perdition

Oceans Eleven

KPax

Hidalgo

Amilee

White Oleander

Good will Hunting

Slingblade

Men Of Honor

Oh Brother where art thou

Erin Brokovich

The Grinch

My Dog Skip

Remember the Titans

Man in the Moon

John Doe (Denzel Washington)

Sea Biscuit

Pay it Forward

Awakenings

Blast From the Past

Blaze (with Paul Newman, about Earl Long)

Ghost World

Two family house

The Big Picture

The Slums of Beverly Hills (with Carl Reiner)

Life or Something Like it

Bourne Identity

You oughta try a couple from this list, and if you like 'em, then watch 'em all!

Just a pinch between the geek and chum

An example of what I'm talking about... someone gave a long list above. I see Good Will Hunting and Sea Biscuit and yep, I would like to see those. Where ARE those movies? They are not at Blockbuster. As I said, from the past 15 years of not watching movie, there must be dozens and dozens of really good movies I have not seen.

Neither of us here has a credit card, so I'm sure that cans netflix.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

DirecTV :idea:

That is, if you have a clear view of the southern sky and wouldn't mind having a satellite dish mounted to your house.

The only problem is the cost. The more movie channels, the more $$$ but I have DirecTV and I never rent movies, there is always something on.

YMMV

0096 2251 2110 8105

I see Good Will Hunting and Sea Biscuit and yep, I would like to see those. Where ARE those movies? They are not at Blockbuster.
Blockbuster doesn't have SEA BISCUIT??!!!

Are you sure about that?

---------------------

Just a pinch between the geek and chum

Archived