Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - Renting movies sucks

Originally posted by Bejeeber:

From around 1997 thru 2001 was THE golden age of film making.

I agree with that, but I'd probably say "a great period" instead of "THE" golden age. And there are some other good ones from that period...

Donnie Darko

Traffic

Iron Giant

Requium for a Dream

Pi

Rushmore

Royal Tennenbaums

Bottle Rocket

Boogie Nights

Training Day

Heist

Heat

Ronin

Enemy at the Gates

The Matrix (also the first dvd to really use special features)

Memento

Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels

Snatch

I could go on & on. That was a great time for movies.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

quote:

The Slums of Beverly Hills (with Carl Reiner)

originally posted by Brakka:

Alan Arkin

Doh! Why do I get those two mixed up? Carl Reiner appears late in the film, but yes you're right, Alan Arkin plays the character that I was thinking of.

-------------------

Just a pinch between the geek and chum

I see Good Will Hunting and Sea Biscuit and yep, I would like to see those. Where ARE those movies? They are not at Blockbuster.
Blockbuster doesn't have SEA BISCUIT??!!!

Are you sure about that?

---------------------

Positive.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

Originally posted by shniggens:

Don't see Cold Mountain, unless you are the type that likes feeling like shit. I don't understand why people make/watch movies that make one want to kill someone, or themselves.

That's totally untrue. I haven't wanted to kill anyone in years.

OK months.

Well, this one sonofabitch that gave me that look this morning... :mad:

I thought the movie showed a side of war, the Civil War, that was pretty unique. A little dark perhaps, but that's what a war flick shoud be. To me anyways.

Originally posted by nursers:

Would definitely recommend:

Home Alone 3

Last Action Hero

Water World

Police Academy 9

Street Fighter

:thu:;)

Yes, yes, those are all excellent films. But I would also recommend:

Battlefield Earth

Glitter

Anything with William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy

And of course, Pink Flamingos

Enjoy! :cool:

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

I find Blockbuster to be extremely incompetent. Two years ago I was renting from a Blockbuster near work and a Blockbuster near my home. The blockbuster near my job insisted on charging me a late fee because they claimed I turned a movie in 3 days late. In reality, I turned two movies in at the same time the morning before going to Atlanta for a week. One was checked in correctly. The other shows that it was turned in 4 days later, while I was in Atlanta. Even though I said I could prove I was out of town they insisted that I pay because they could not possibility be wrong and mentioned that I would not want that on my credit record. About the same time I got a call from a person working for Blockbuster saying I had not returned a movie to the store near my home. When I called the store they found the movie on the shelf. Someone had forgotten to scan it in before placing it back on the shelf. After that I stopped using Blockbuster and considered it dangerous to my credit rating.

Two weeks ago I decided to try them again because I wanted to make use of the $20 a month unlimited game rental. This seems like a good way to try a bunch of games before buying and my goal is to pick up a different game to try every other day. In that time I have also rented 4 movies. The first movie I rented got put back on the shelf before being scanned back in. I found that out when I rented the second movie. Now I always ask to make sure they scan my returns in correctly. Last night they scanned the movie I returned, but could not find the game I returned. At least this store did not accuse me of lying, they were just incompetent. Two guys searched for 10 minutes. One remembered scanning the movie in but did not find a game. When a lady came out of the back to check on the problem she immediately went over to the return bin, jerked the board off of the back, and found the game. Seems that DvDs can fell through a crack in the bottom of the bin but no one has bothered to fix the problem or notify the rest of the staff.

Once I am done with this game rental period, Im done with Blockbuster. For good.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

As for commidies you may hAs for comedies you may have missed A Bugs Life. I really enjoyed this movie and it has one of my favorite lines.

1st bug This taste like crap.

2nd bug (joyfully) It IS crap.

And if you have not seen them, these are old but great.

Ruthless People

Young Doctor Frankenstein

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Originally posted by Super 8:

And of course, Pink Flamingos

I still have nightmares about that film involving the egg man, eating dog feces, winking sphincters, and chicken killing for sexual gratification. Thanks for bringing it up. There's 7 years of therapy wiped clean.

The biggest lesson I learned from seeing that movie is ALWAYS make sure the person enjoying the movie is NOT holding the car keys.

Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.

Mark Twain (1835-1910)

--------------------

Reporter: "Ah, do you think you could destroy the world?" The Tick: "Ehgad I hope not. That's where I keep all my stuff!"

Originally posted by LiveMusic:

I see Good Will Hunting and Sea Biscuit and yep, I would like to see those. Where ARE those movies? They are not at Blockbuster.
Blockbuster doesn't have SEA BISCUIT??!!!

Are you sure about that?

---------------------

Positive.
If you had DirecTV you could be watching Seabiscuit right now.

http://www.foxtick.com/Images/see_biscuit.jpg

or Beavis & Butthead :D

0096 2251 2110 8105

Archived