Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Who takes a keyboard away with them?

About to fly away on a business trip for a couple of weeks. Would like to take a keyboard but even my Nektar Impact 25 is a bit too bulky for the suitcase. 

Who takes a keyboard with them and what type?

Also, any recommendations for an ultra portable midi controller? Have laptop with Omnisphere, Zenology and Ableton already installed and a mini fuse interface so dont need any onboard sounds. 

• Like 1

When I would be working in Nashville I would take a keyboard to work out things in the hotel during down time.  Usually took a FA and some headphones and sat the board on the desk in my room at the 4 points in Brentwood. Depended on planned schedule 

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I almost always take a keytar and practice bass amp with me when I travel.  I sometimes use the keytar as a pink noise source to help me sleep through the night, and then play actual music on it with my non-keyboardist granddaughter during the day.

• Like 1

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

Novation Launchkey MK3 37 is my compact controller of choice.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Akai LpK25.  Super compact.  Great for Finale, tweaking Mainstage, but not really fun to play on. Easily fits in laptop bag. Cheap.

Alternative: Korg MicroKey 37. Has  Mod wheel/sustain input.  Nicely playable- but not as compact.   Keep mine in a Uke case, and have stuffed it inside checked bags as well as carry on.

Whether gig or pleasure travel, almost always bring a Yamaha 25 key Melodica in soft case.  Fun just to have.  Dressing room/bus run-throughs, and sitting in when out and about.

Safe travels!

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

Casio CT-300 fits into the same case that I use for my keytar, and I’ve always been able to carry on that, cuz it just looks like an electric guitar bag (cuz it is).

I’ve flown and gigged with my keytar, also Seaboard Rise49, but I had to practice up a special set for that.

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

If you don't carry a designated gig bag (M audio etc) with you on board, then a flat 25 mini keys controller is the only solution IMO. So the keyboard can fit in your suitcase and won't brake in the airport. I sometimes use an Akai 25 keyboard just for fun and mainstage adjustments

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

I've never seen anyone reject an electric guitar or even electric bass in a soft case, and I often fly small commuter flights with limited carryon space. A long thin thing like a guitar or small-ish keyboard is fairly easy to stow over other suitcases. As long as you can fit it into something about the size and shape of a soft guitar case, you should be fine. A small, lightweight 61key controller or board can fit in a rectangular guitar bag.

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

I have travelled with a Yamaha CBX-K1XG in the past. 37 horrible mini-keys, full XG soundset, on-board 1w speakers (!), 5-pin MIDI (!). 

I also took that to "domestic" rehearsals and jams, as well as acting as a backup "module" if my main keyboard failed but my controller survived.

Cheers, Mike

5 hours ago, obxa said:

Akai LpK25.  Super compact.  Great for Finale, tweaking Mainstage, but not really fun to play on. Easily fits in laptop bag. Cheap.

I use this also. Fits easily on the hotel desk. Good enough for note entry in a DAW. 

8 hours ago, Al Quinn said:

I pack a CME Xkey Air in my carry on when I fly. It doesn't take up much space because it's so flat. I enjoy playing it Midi'ed via Bluetooth to an iPad or MacBook Pro. Although the keys are an unusual design, I'm comfortable playing them.

Same here. And it's worth mentioning that it has polyphonic aftertouch, long before Hydrasynth was a thing (and I have a Hydra too that I love).

5 hours ago, EricBarker said:

I've never seen anyone reject an electric guitar or even electric bass in a soft case, and I often fly small commuter flights with limited carryon space. A long thin thing like a guitar or small-ish keyboard is fairly easy to stow over other suitcases. As long as you can fit it into something about the size and shape of a soft guitar case, you should be fine. A small, lightweight 61key controller or board can fit in a rectangular guitar bag.

That opens up possibilities I hadn’t considered. Thx! As I mentioned I bring a CME XKey Air. But, I would prefer to bring the Korg MicroKey Air 61.

I’m guessing that when you bring an instrument it takes the place of a carryon suitcase. In other words, you can’t have both. Do I have this right?

If I'm travelling, it's almost always for a gig, so keyboards are a necessity!

But, on holiday, I'd quite happily carry on my Korg i3. A keyboard that punches well above its tiny weight.
Paid for itself in an hour and continues to keep me in beer tokens. Can fit normal traveling stuff in its case that won't go in a laptop bag, and still weighs next to nothing.

11 hours ago, Al Quinn said:

I pack a CME Xkey Air in my carry on when I fly. It doesn't take up much space because it's so flat. I enjoy playing it Midi'ed via Bluetooth to an iPad or MacBook Pro. Although the keys are an unusual design, I'm comfortable playing them.

Ditto.  I use the 25-key USB version: https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/cme-xkey  About a half-inch thick and fifteen inches long--it fits in my backpack no problem.

I'm not going to do "real" practice on it, but it's helpful e.g. for testing things out when I'm transcribing while travelling.  And it's kinda fun.

4 hours ago, Al Quinn said:

I’m guessing that when you bring an instrument it takes the place of a carryon suitcase. In other words, you can’t have both. Do I have this right?

that is correct. But for me it’s not really an issue. I’m an AlaskaAirlines club49 member and get 2 free checked bags. As long as I stay on AlaskaAirlines, I don’t have to pay for standard luggage. I also bring a really full backpack to store under my seat. There are various tactics. If your gig back had some room you could stuff some pants down in it too, for added protection.

I find keyboards to be an awkward gray area. Either they’re carryon, or they’re oversized luggage ($100+). You either take a small one carryon in a gig bag, or you check it in a big heavy TSA case that’s almost always going to be overweight and/or oversized. I’ve never figured out how to check a keyboard in a flight case, and not get charged oversize. You’d have to have a light 61key with a really small, fitted TSA case.

37 minutes ago, EricBarker said:

t

I find keyboards to be an awkward gray area. Either they’re carryon, or they’re oversized luggage ($100+).

+2

I fly on Southwest a lot and the rule is one carry-on plus one small personal item which is supposed to go under the seat.  But certain airports (MCO, I'm looking at you) attract folks who stretch the "personal item" to the max by bringing along items such as acoustic guitars without case, very large stuffed animals, bulky sports equipment, etc and that stuff never seems to go under the seat.  With my luck, I'll probably be flying on the day they decide to start enforcing the rule, if I ever tried something like that.

10 hours ago, CyberGene said:

Same here. And it's worth mentioning that it has polyphonic aftertouch, long before Hydrasynth was a thing (and I have a Hydra too that I love).

Addenda: I have 3 XKeys. My first was a gift I saw as a toy, but when I saw how useful it was, I took up two of the 3-octave models. They're still cooking, 3 years along. Some cheapo keys KLACK. Xkeys just... click! 🤓 The short key travel still feels good in play. 

It took a while to adapt to the squishy pitch/mod buttons, but if you set the ranges properly, you can do very respectable bends. The velocity and poly AT will surprise you. They work for me and far better than any other mini-key controller I've tried. Even if you play a more typical stack, one of these can be useful on top for sound FX or stabs.   

• Like 1

"It ain't over 'til the fat despot sings."
     ~ "X-Men '97"

I should clarify that keyboard carryons take the place of a carry on luggage bag, NOT a “personal item”. The airlines I fly with are very strict about that. It’s technically an FAA regulation that personal items have to fit all the way under your seat. Maybe you can skirt by a few times, but you WILL get busted.

Very similar to everyone else. Alesis vmini, 25 keys, some knobs and pads, small laptop / ipad. Sunvox was good software for cramped conditions.

I typically went for week long trips with work so I'd shove the board in the hold luggage. With the tea kettle if I was going stateside.

Thanks everyone for your comments. I'm 7 days into cold turkey without a keyboard and wishing I had sorted something out before I left. Will have to see if I can find something here in India. The Cme looks interesting. Does the lack of travel on keys make much difference to the feel? 

Yes, the CME XKey feels different and it might not be comfortable for everyone. But, I’m surprised that I can express myself pretty well on this unique keyboard design. It’s fun to play! I have a Yamaha CP Reface that’s also surprisingly fun to play but it takes up more space in my suitcase.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Ibarch said:

Will have to see if I can find something here in India.

If you can find a way to get it home safely,  buy a portable Harmonium or smaller Shruti box!!!  You're in the right place to get one super cheap.  Fun to play, and great souvenir.  Just be sure to get one that's tuned A440.

• Thanks 1

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.