Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Keyboard Stores in D.C. / Baltimore

As many can relate to, none of the stores in my area or nearby carry the kind of selection they used to.  I've stopped in various Guitar Centers and Sam Ash stores on my past few trips around the country  -- and their selection was lacking to say the least.  

I'm going to be driving through Harrisburg, PA, Baltimore, Washington, D.C., Richmond, and Raleigh areas and was wondering If there are any stores with selections of higher end keyboards on display?

Here's my try-out wishlist:

- Sequential Trigon, Prophet 5 or 10

- Novation Summit

- Crumar Seven

- Numa Pianos

- Waldorf Iridium

- Kawai MP7-SE

- Oberheim OBX8

- Minimoog Model D

I saw that Chuck Levin's was mentioned about 9 years ago in a post -- it is still a good option?  Their website seems to indicate that they have a few of these keyboards in stock.  Any other places?    Much appreciate any info.

Yamaha Montage M6, Nord Stage 4 - 88, Hammond SK-Pro 73, Yamaha YC-73, Mainstage, Yamaha U1 Upright

Chuck Levin‘s is probably the best place to buy a keyboard - or any kind of gear - on the East Coast. The keyboard showroom they keep is insane. I’d give them a call and see what they do and don’t have in stock. 

• Like 3

Numa X Piano 73 | Yamaha CP4 | Mojo 61 | Motion Sound KP-612s | Hammond M3

34 minutes ago, Cabo said:

I saw that Chuck Levin's was mentioned about 9 years ago in a post -- it is still a good option?  

Chuck Levin's Washington Music Center, musicians refer to it as "Chuck's", has everything on your list on display

with the exception of the Crumar product, last time I was there a few weeks ago. 

In order to try out a Crumar product, you will need to drive to Fort Wayne, Indiana, Middletown, New York, or Franklin, Wisconsin. 

• Like 1
:nopity:

6 hours ago, Doerfler said:

Chuck Levin's Washington Music Center, musicians refer to it as "Chuck's", has everything on your list on display

with the exception of the Crumar product, last time I was there a few weeks ago. 

In order to try out a Crumar product, you will need to drive to Fort Wayne, Indiana, Middletown, New York, or Franklin, Wisconsin. 

I agree that Chuck Levin's Washington Music is great. However, I doubt they will have the Studiologic Numa X, if that is what you want to try. Believe it or not, they have a limited display (and inventory) of Studiologic products. Otherwise, one of the best for keyboards.

7 hours ago, Noah DC said:

Chuck Levin‘s is probably the best place to buy a keyboard - or any kind of gear - on the East Coast. The keyboard showroom they keep is insane. I’d give them a call and see what they do and don’t have in stock. 

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

3 hours ago, ProfD said:

Another endorsement of Chuck's.  Accessing most gear begins and ends there. Staff is on point too.😎

20 years ago my wife and I waddled into Chucks. They were busy as hell, but I snagged a guy and asked if I could play the “New B-3” on the floor. He said sure, and even started it for me. I fussed around with the bench and drawbars, and out of the corner of my eye I saw him nod to another salesman like saying “loser”. I then ripped into a F blues and 15 seconds later he said “dude can play!”. He brought over a guitar, plugged in, and instant jam for 10 minutes. I bought the Kong keyboard I went in for, and got high 5’s from everyone on the way out.

Gotta go back someday………

• Like 2

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

14 hours ago, ITGITC said:

But I'll be back.  And I'm pretty sure it won't be hard to coax ProfD to join me.

Absolutely.  Just let me know when you're back in town and we'll make it happen. 👍🏿

Next time, we'll spend less time in Chuck's and more of it with food and drinks and tears of laughter.🤣😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Unfortunately Chuck passed away in  2002, Marge in 2010, and Robert in 2013. The store is still run by his remaining sons. And the good news is it still has the spirit and character of Chuck.

My first experience with Chuck was in 1962 when he was on H Street in Washington, DC - not the best location. I was ambushed one time in the winter by a bunch of snowball renegades. Regardless, I bought a bunch of stuff from them. 

The Wheaton store is in a much better location, not to mention it is far larger than the H street store. And I still buy a bunch of stuff from them.

Chuck Levin's Washington Music is a great store. Visit and buy - you won't regret it.

• Like 3

I almost took a job at Chuck's. The interview was in Chuck's car--he had an errand to run and figured he could get to know me better riding around. Although I went in a different direction I cherish the memory of a cool guy running a mind-boggling music store. 

• Like 2

On 1/30/2023 at 11:47 AM, Noah DC said:

Cool, maybe I'll eventually make it there. I forget if that's the one that's in Maryland, or if that's another area store I have bookmarked. If so, it's close to a Metro stop. I really haven't had time for anything but the new job, the money pit of a house I bought, and recently a bunch of gigs and rehearsals, since moving here at the end of July 2021. My driving consists solely of work and gigs; I walk for groceries and do all other shopping online as this area is bereft of useful retail/hardware stores.

The store I bookmarked (can't find it right now), showed up when I searched for area stores that carry acoustic winds and strings. When I first moved here, I bought a Yamaha sax at Foxes Music in Falls Church, which is nearby and a great store but quite small and specialized.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

3 hours ago, Mark Schmieder said:

Cool, maybe I'll eventually make it there. I forget if that's the one that's in Maryland

Wheaton, MD, 5 minute walk from the Wheaton Metro stop (Red Line)

Back in the 1990's when I worked there, Bad Mister (Phil Clendenin, Yamaha Corp.) would take the train from NYC to Union Station in DC and then transfer to DC Metro

to visit the store. Easy peasy

• Like 1
:nopity:

Yeah, now that things will finally calm down next week for the first time in over a year, I can consider popping in after work some night, to check it out.

Almost a year ago, I discovered the indie store Victor Litz in Gaithersburg MD, which is excellent and covers more world/folk ground than one would expect, but isn't a major store for keyboards or even orchestral instruments (nor do they pretend to be). I bought three instruments there, all hard to find on the web, and yet at discounted prices.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to follow up on this post -- I just got back from my trip -- including a few hours at Chuck Levin's Washington Music Center in Wheaton, MD.  

It was pure heaven.  I got to play a Moog One, Trigon, Prophet 5, Novation Summit, OBX8, Roland Fantom 07, Nord Grand, and many more.  There was essentially anything and everything you would want to try out.  It was a little overwhelming.  Almost everything was set up with speakers right in front of it and ready to play.  Very friendly sales people too.   I'll definitely be back.  It really puts in perspective how pitiful my local selection is.

IMG_3722.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Yamaha Montage M6, Nord Stage 4 - 88, Hammond SK-Pro 73, Yamaha YC-73, Mainstage, Yamaha U1 Upright

I called them a few weeks ago and spoke to the head of their band and orchestral department a few times. Very impressed; I look forward to my first visit, which hopefully will be in a couple of weeks now that the second of my two intense projects is at its end and the next projects won't start on a steep up-ramp.

Good to see that they also have some of the keyboards I'm interested in. I'm very curious about the Trigon in particular.

Last time I was at Chucks I bought a Kurzweil PC1se. That was 2004. I really need to get up there again.

~ vonnor

Gear:

Hardware: Nord Stage3, Korg Kronos 2, Novation Summit

Software: Cantabile 3, Halion Sonic 3 and assorted VST plug-ins.